Talk

Advanced search

to be secretly chuckling at DH having a tough time looking after the DDs today while I am at work

(24 Posts)
whoneedssleepanyway Wed 29-Dec-10 13:28:11

he rang...

tried to take them for a walk in the woods, they both fell over and got covered in mud and got rather upset about this.

then took them out for a pizza for lunch but DD2 cried until she fell asleep on the table with her face in the pizza and DD1 wouldn't eat her pizza as DH had cut it up for her.

he got them home and DD1 didn't make it to the loo in time.

the man sounded exhausted, i resisted the temptation to say "welcome to my world" but am secretly chuckling inside

AIBU?

cat64 Wed 29-Dec-10 13:30:23

Message withdrawn

jollyoldstnickschick Wed 29-Dec-10 13:30:37

No grin.

IAmReallyFabNow Wed 29-Dec-10 13:31:17

I often say welcome to my world!

Poor kids, poor dh grin.

ChaoticChristmasAngelCrackers Wed 29-Dec-10 13:31:52

YANBU grin

quiddity Wed 29-Dec-10 13:32:27

YANBU--he needs to do it more often so it will get easier!

ChippingIn Wed 29-Dec-10 13:32:47

No grin

Is this a new thing for him or have you been back at work for a while?

I guess it's a bit mean if he's always supportive & knows they can be hard work - but if he asks what you've been doing all day whilst looking around in a critical manner - he deserves all they dish out today!

whoneedssleepanyway Wed 29-Dec-10 13:45:20

they normally go to nursery on the days I work but nursery is shut over the christmas period so DH has them, he doesn't normally have them on his own. they aren't normally too bad but are both a bit under the weather and over-tired.....

liking the idea of him doing it more often though!

Normynamey Wed 29-Dec-10 13:46:24

Is this the first time he has looked after them on his own?

Chuckling about it does sound like you are glad he struggled.

Normynamey Wed 29-Dec-10 13:48:05

I also think it is pretty crap he doesn't look after his own kids much.

whoneedssleepanyway Wed 29-Dec-10 13:53:12

Normynamey lighten up....this is supposed to be a bit lighthearted.

I work part time, he works full time so I look after the DDs more than he does, and at the weekends there are two of us, I think you will find that our situation is not unique....

waitwhat Wed 29-Dec-10 13:57:51

errr my dh works 7-7 every weekday so he doesn't look after the kids during the week..Doesn't make it pretty crap it makes us a normal family with bills to pay.

Anyways yanbugrin

whoneedssleepanyway Wed 29-Dec-10 13:59:29

thanks waitwhat, good to know we are not the only ones where DH doesn't look after the kids in the week...grin

saffy85 Wed 29-Dec-10 15:47:45

YANBU I love listening so DP's tales of woe when he looks after DD on his own. He doesn't struggle as such but watching all the disney princess movies is a drain on his sanity, as is Peppa Pig.

Megatron Wed 29-Dec-10 16:11:09

YANBU. At all!

Highlander Wed 29-Dec-10 16:16:20

PMSL grin

Personally, I would top it with, "have you done the laundry/ironing/vaccuming/cleaned the toilets".

Then stand back and watch him implode grin

Rocket100 Wed 29-Dec-10 16:41:13

After a particularly fraught day with the children just before Christmas, my DH actually admitted "I don't know how you do this!" I chuckled at that myself, so YADNBU. grin

Bathsheba Wed 29-Dec-10 16:42:57

My DH was left with the baby today while I took the biigger ones round to a friends for a play...

He was considering going to the bank but "I'll have to take the baby and everything"...

Yep....

LittleMissHootsMon Wed 29-Dec-10 17:56:03

<sniggers>

Reads Highlander's suggestion

<cackles like a loon>

grin

JamieLeeCurtis Wed 29-Dec-10 17:57:24

I did once say "welcome to my world" to DH. Went down Very badly, much in the same way as "I told you so"

TheCrackFox Wed 29-Dec-10 18:06:16

If DH ever has a crap day with the boys I always tell him that is because he needs more practice. <evil cackle>

whoneedssleepanyway Wed 29-Dec-10 20:03:56

well I arrived home the house looked like a bomb had hit it and as I walked through the door the poor guy opened a cupboard to get something for the DD's tea and a tub of hundreds and thousands fell out and the lid came of and they were all over the kitchen, his face.....it was all I could do not to fall over laughing so just told him to go and put his feet up and got the hoover out...grin

Numberfour Wed 29-Dec-10 20:06:39

My DH was off work for a while and I childmind from home.

After a few days, he was VERY kind to me!! He realised what my work involved!

YADefNBU at all!! grin

sims2fan Wed 29-Dec-10 20:15:12

My mum has told me before that when my brother was about a year she left him with my dad (first ever time, even though they were married and lived together!) for a few hours while she went Christmas shopping or something. She literally left a list of things for him to do with my brother, including when to feed him etc. She estimated she would be back about 6pm, but actually got back at about 4, to find that my brother had had his tea, and his bath, and was in his pyjamas ready for bed, as my dad had gone through the list (obviously at breakneck speed) and reached the end. I think he was glad my mum was back early! Another time, when I was 2 and my brother 4, my mum had taken my brother somewhere and left me with my dad (again, one of the only time he had me on his own). At some point in the day I had been sick, and rather than take my dress off and find something clean, of which there would have been lots, my dad just left me in the sicky dress all day as he 'didn't know' how to clean me up! Honestly, he was clueless, yet when he was with someone else who could deal with the basic care of kids he was a great one for entertaining children and all young relatives adored him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now