Talk

Advanced search

Babies and booze

(92 Posts)
AllyH9 Wed 29-Dec-10 10:33:32

Shortly before Christmas I was standing outside Prezzo's restaurant in Farnham, Surrey when I noticed a couple sitting with a young child in the window table. As I watched, the woman offered her glass of wine to the child, who cannot have been more than two. The child took a large slug and beamed broadly. Over the next few minutes, the child clamoured for more wine and the woman allowed it to have two further large slugs. The man seemed unconcerned by this, but I was horrified.

I'm all for inculcating a responsible attitude to drinking, perhaps even allowing a teenager to drink in carefully-monitored moderation, but surely booze should not be given to babies? The amount the child drank must have had an effect on such a tiny body, and it seems clear that there is a link between childhood drinking and alcoholism in later life.

Since then, I have been berating myself: I should have been brave enough to go in and say something to the child's mother. My only hope now is that she might recognise herself and question the wisdom of her actions. What do other mums think?

BooBooGlass Wed 29-Dec-10 10:34:50

biscuit

TheHoneydragonsInTheIvy Wed 29-Dec-10 10:35:52

Are you sure it was wine? I don't drink, but use a wine glass in restaurants if I don't like the clunky glasses offered. My dd is also a bugger for stealing sips of my alcohol free pear cider hmm grin

Panzee Wed 29-Dec-10 10:36:30

You can't give a baby booze!!!

Fags, however...

Chil1234 Wed 29-Dec-10 10:37:10

And you know it's wine because.... ? If you're going to go rubbernecking people in restaurants you've got problems.

sarah293 Wed 29-Dec-10 10:37:26

Message withdrawn

nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Wed 29-Dec-10 10:39:18

DS 4 drinks water out of a wine glass when we are out. He is very disdainful if the waiter tries to give him a tumbler. God forbid if it's plastic wink

charliesmommy Wed 29-Dec-10 10:39:42

I often drink J20 which looks like red wine, in a wine glass...

Sounds like you were standing there staring at them for quite a while too.. lol!!

Fontsnob Wed 29-Dec-10 10:46:50

Ah panzee you beat me to it.

Panzee Wed 29-Dec-10 10:48:37

iwantavuvezela Wed 29-Dec-10 10:51:38

A child that age having a big slug of wine would probably not smile but pull a face! I know this because my DD took a sip of my wine (thinking it was apple juice) and pulled an almighty face when she realised! (the wine was in a normal type glass not a wine glass and was an accident not purposeful!) So I dont think its wine, the taste of alcohol is not what a young child would be gulping down ....

scoobytoo Wed 29-Dec-10 10:52:39

Legally you can give a baby alcohol as long as it's perry or porter, pear or apple based alcoholic drinks. It's a very old licensing law.
However morally????
As others have said it probably wasn't alcohol, many people drink soft drinks from wine glasses nowadays.

StuffingGoldBrass Wed 29-Dec-10 10:52:47

FFS get a hobby or something other than going round looking for things to do a catsbumface at.

Binfullofgibletsonthe45 Wed 29-Dec-10 10:54:34

www.skiddle.com/images/restaurants/112157_1.jpg such tiny windows you must have been very noticeable goggling in at a family enjoying their meal.

If you had gone in, perhaps the pissed baby would have slugged you one in the gob with a pudgy little fist - before going back to a bottle of Jack Daniels with a teat sticking out the top.

And when do you refer to a child as it?

GingerbreadGiraffe Wed 29-Dec-10 10:55:02

"Since then, I have been berating myself: I should have been brave enough to go in and say something to the child's mother. My only hope now is that she might recognise herself and question the wisdom of her actions. What do other mums think?"

Not really your business though is it?? The mother would have given you an earful and quite rightly. You're not the parenting police.

Could have been me since it is my local prezzo. Maybe I know you!!

ragged Wed 29-Dec-10 10:56:57

My DC would glug it down if they had a chance.
Of course it's outrageous, Ally -- if what you think you saw really is what you really saw.
I must say, very brave of you to make your MN debut in AIBU.

TheHoneydragonsInTheIvy Wed 29-Dec-10 10:57:10

Erm .... If they had noticed you maybe they were doing it to wind you up?

Binfullofgibletsonthe45 Wed 29-Dec-10 10:57:17

Used to be mine to gingerbread, I was confusing it with the Zizzis which is in an alleyway - that had been the case she would definitely have been a troll stickybeak!!!

Binfullofgibletsonthe45 Wed 29-Dec-10 10:58:46

Perhaps the baby was drinking to forget.......

GingerbreadGiraffe Wed 29-Dec-10 11:04:55

LOL Binfull.

I suppose there are bus stops along there so you could legitimately be stood around but peering into the windows is just plain rude.

Definately would be stickbeak if it was zizzis.

chipmonkey Wed 29-Dec-10 11:08:36

I have NEVER seen any child smile after tasting alcohol. It can't have been wine.

Binfullofgibletsonthe45 Wed 29-Dec-10 11:18:15

Am sure they smile a bit once the bottle is empty, just not the next morning IYSWIM.

nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Wed 29-Dec-10 11:28:57

chipmonkey DD smiles if she drinks wine confused

I don't think she really likes it, rather she likes to pretend and prove her parents wrong!

DuelingFanjo Wed 29-Dec-10 11:39:40

I once sat and watched in horror as my ex's parents fed their nephew beer on a spoon - he was less than a year old! My ex was an alcoholic - no wonder.

AllyH9 Wed 29-Dec-10 11:40:52

I couldn't tell whether the child was a boy or a girl - you often can't with tinies...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: