Advanced search

to be fucked off that while i cant afford to put my heating on...

(86 Posts)
juicychops Mon 27-Dec-10 22:30:47

my sister and her husband who are on full benefits and pull job seekers the pair of them in their free house have had £25 per week for the last 2 weeks in 'cold weather' allowance and im sure will get it again next week too.

im single parent and work part time and as im not on benefits im not entitled to luxuries such as heating.

i have shitty storage heating which are too expensive for me to turn on plus i have an old un-insulated house with no double glazing so when ive had them on in the past the heat just escapes anyway. i only have the one on in ds's room so that he doesn't get ill like ive been all xmas.

my house is freezing and i have to wear layer upon layer of clothing when im here.

yet they get £50 FOR A FORTNIGHTS FREE HEATING!! so unfair. punished for having a job - again!!

chrimblycompo Mon 27-Dec-10 22:33:16


then see what benefits you get

Tortington Mon 27-Dec-10 22:34:28

do you rent this house?

Ladyofthehousespeaking Mon 27-Dec-10 22:35:11

You will be entitled to something if you are single and work less than 16 hours a week

curlymama Mon 27-Dec-10 22:35:55

I'm not surprised you are angry about it. Is there really no financial help available to you? Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, I don't know much about benefits. It does seem stupidly unfair.

SmokinSanta Mon 27-Dec-10 22:37:18

you need to seriously look at your own finances instead of moaning about what you dont get. I am a single part time working mother of 2 who gets no child maintenance, yet I can fully afford to budget the £25 a week to run my gas and electric in the snow. I go without other things instead.

If your storage heaters are so shitty, buy, beg or borrow portable heaters. they arent that expensive to run and you can heat the room you need at a time.

Overpay in the summer months so you have spare cash flow for the winter. If you're on DD this should be easy,same as prepayment.

You know gas and electric companies let you do payment cards paying some off the debt and some off the next bill dont you? I ranup a £200 gas bill once and spread it over the next 6 months. Do that if you need to.

But dont whine about what benefits someone else gets, be proactive.

juicychops Mon 27-Dec-10 22:37:18

forgot to add - the husband also works cash in hand for his friend which he gets about 300-400 per month

SmokinSanta Mon 27-Dec-10 22:38:18

If you're that bothered, ring the benefit hotline about him working cash in hand.

TheSecondComing Mon 27-Dec-10 22:40:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ladyofthehousespeaking Mon 27-Dec-10 22:41:12

Being angry honestly wot get you anywhere. Go to it's very good and very simple to use. Ignore their situation as it really really won't do you or your relationships any good to stew over it.

BibiBlocksberg Mon 27-Dec-10 22:42:24

In the short time I'd recommend you pick up one of those Halogen Heaters - they're incredibly affordable now (last one I bought was £12 in Wilko's over a year ago and still works fine)

They cost something silly like 6 pence to run an hour. Quite bright to look at but that was the least of my worries when my heating broke and I had nothing else.

They'll never provide you with tropical heat but far better than nothing I found.

Hope you manage to work something out

Loshad Mon 27-Dec-10 22:44:18

second bibis suggestion of a halogen heater, effective and cheap to run

countless Mon 27-Dec-10 22:45:08

if you know that someone is breaking the law and do nothing about it YABU

what else are you angry about? my grandma is 84 and gets £400 in addition to the CWP for heating her home..makes you sick does it??!!

in fact everywhere there are people enjoying monies and all sorts of material goodies that you don't have, is that maddening for you??

bunnymother Mon 27-Dec-10 22:45:56

You can buy DIY insulation items quite cheaply from eBay and Amazon. We just put some in in our rented flat (insulation film on window, door brush, insulation tape) and they made a big difference to blocking the draughts. And, trust me, we are not handy!

curlymama Mon 27-Dec-10 22:46:41

If I were you I'd get evidence that your sister's DH is comitting fraud and report them.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 27-Dec-10 22:47:26

if you are on the internet,then surley you have spare cash to het your home.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Dec-10 22:50:16

Get halogen or oil-filled heaters. MUCH cheaper to run.

BaroqinAroundTheChristmasTree Mon 27-Dec-10 22:50:16

yes ring and report them - if they haven't already told them (job centre) £400 (by my calculations) would still leave them entitled to about £10 a week JSA - so therefore still entitled to their CWP.

ThisIsANiceCage Mon 27-Dec-10 22:51:11

So in fact they can afford nice heating because they're committing fraud, not because they're on benefits.

Surely you're also getting benefits in the form of Child Benefit and tax credits?

Btw you can get clingfilm-type double glazing which is cheap, easy to install and removable in summer. It's a lot better than nothing.

hideyhideynamechange Mon 27-Dec-10 22:52:43

Move in with them?

lisad123isasnuttyasaboxoffrogs Mon 27-Dec-10 22:53:07

pop corn and hard hat one and ready....set....GO!

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Mon 27-Dec-10 22:54:41

if tehy aren't entitled to teh benefits tehn stop moaning and do something about it. shop them.

in the mean time, get that plastic film for your windows, get to the charity shop and buy heavy curtains and fleecy fabrics to put round windows and make draught excluders. wear extra layers. there are other ways to keep warm than to claim benefits you know.

BaroqinAroundTheChristmasTree Mon 27-Dec-10 22:54:54

grin lisa.

I got my 2nd CWP in my account the other day - very thankful for it - costs more than £25 a week to heat this house for all the time I'm in it in this cold weather (which is most of it given that I don't currently work).

izzywizzywoowooo Mon 27-Dec-10 22:55:00

In all fareness you automatically get the CWP. It isn't like you put in a claim for it.

Even Lord Sugar gets his CWP's..There isn't an Opt out system.

Have you reported them for commiting fraud? I would. You can do it Anon. Otherwise if you haven't/won't report it you haven't really got a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about the benefits system.

lisad123isasnuttyasaboxoffrogs Mon 27-Dec-10 22:56:15

If you are in receipt of Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, you will usually receive Cold Weather Payments if you also have any of following:

•a disability or pensioner premium
•a child who is disabled
•Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
•a child under five living with you

So they either have a disabled child or a child under five living with them, Yes always good to moan about them being warm hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: