Talk

Advanced search

To be travelling first class with three children?

(85 Posts)
CommanderDrool Mon 27-Dec-10 21:54:08

Am I ?

I've booked first-class for DP and I and my three girls, aged 6, 4,and 18 months. It is a five hour journey on Virgin.

I hate their trains. They are overcrowded, stuffy tubes of hell.
First class is a treat and not too much extra as I booked in October.

But some peopl I have mentioned this too have expressed sympathy for the other first class passengers and now I am feeling a bit guilty.

So AIBU?

PawPuss Mon 27-Dec-10 21:59:56

Im unsure. What is the purpose of First Class? What do users expect when they book First Class? (never used it myself personally).

Giggle78 Mon 27-Dec-10 22:01:01

YANBU

You have paid for the seats.

It is not for anyone else to tell you who can sit there. Neither friends nor other passengers.

(Also on a personal note - I think its a very good idea and will make a the journey less stressful).

WhiteTrash Mon 27-Dec-10 22:03:29

Ive got to do a 2 hour journey tomorrow with one ds. If I had the money I would go first class! YANBU. grin

oldraver Mon 27-Dec-10 22:04:07

Its First Class you have booked. Not 'children not welcome class', your friends are being snobby

CommanderDrool Mon 27-Dec-10 22:04:07

There is more room. There is somewhere to put luggage. You don't have to argue over who booked the seat. You get tea and coffee.

It is civilised.

rinabean Mon 27-Dec-10 22:04:49

First class doesn't mean quiet zone. Quiet zone means quiet zone. Of course you are doing nothing wrong!

SheWillBeLoved Mon 27-Dec-10 22:05:31

YANBU and YABU at the same time grin

YANBU because whatever makes your life easier with kids on such a long journey - you do it.

YABU because you will be lowering the tone of the first class carriage with your screeching mob grin

But who cares. You paid for the seats, you have as much right to sit in them as the man in a suit, tutting loudly into his copy of the Daily Mail.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Dec-10 22:05:32

What giggle said.

YANBU.

curlymama Mon 27-Dec-10 22:05:47

I think it's fine on a train, but not on a flight.

tomhardyismydh Mon 27-Dec-10 22:06:15

yanbu, I traveled first class on a trip with me and dd as it was £1 cheaper.

there is more space less passengers per carage and that is the only difference.

there was another larger family in the carrage, no problems at all.

I dont understand what the people who expressed sympathy for the othe passangers think 1st class travel is for, confused.

Lonnie Mon 27-Dec-10 22:06:16

YANBU you have paid if others have a issue they can go to another carriage

fayc84 Mon 27-Dec-10 22:08:19

If it was 'business class' and other passengers might be distracted from work by children I could sort of understand some annoyance (actually it wouldn't bother me but trying to see that side of things). But 'first class' just means you've paid a wee bit more money for a wee bit more space/comfort and why should children be excluded from that? I hope you have a good journey.

CommanderDrool Mon 27-Dec-10 22:09:11

Hurrah! Am feeling better about it now.

Yes there will be a fair amount of screeching. grin

CHOOGIRL Mon 27-Dec-10 22:11:32

YANBU My DD travels first class when she is with me.

I do reserve the right, however, to give you the choostare and tut loudly if they are badly behaved and you do not attempt to control them grin.

DISCLAIMER - I would do that whether you were in cattle or first wink

Acanthus Mon 27-Dec-10 22:13:33

It's fine but only as long as they are all very quiet.

overfullstockings Mon 27-Dec-10 22:14:28

Absolutely not unreasonably as long as it's not the quiet carriage.

I have travelled first class on the train with one dc lots (so not quite the same as three) and never had any problems. If he was unduly noisy I guess I might be slightly more self conscious in there though.

Have met some lovely people in first class who have been really welcoming and chatty to ds and not one who has been arsey about him being there.

overfullstockings Mon 27-Dec-10 22:14:49

unreasonable not unreasonably blush

Earthakitten Mon 27-Dec-10 22:15:14

No way are you being unreasonable.

I would say your need is greater than probably the vast majority of first class travellers.

I have avoided train travel since having two children as doing it with one was tough enough. Never occurred to me to go first class, I will consider it again now.

GOod luck with your journey.

P.S I absolutely detest this idea that money can buy you anything - even segregation from those people of society you find unpleasant, I can understand you worrying there might be people who think like that aboard, but if there are it is they who ABU!

activate Mon 27-Dec-10 22:17:41

if your kids will be screeching you should be driving and not subjecting other people to it IMHO

mother of 4 - all painful

- don't care that I'm about to be flamed

- other people's noisy kids are the limit, especially if you don't have your own with you

Panzee Mon 27-Dec-10 22:18:54

YABU. You should be in First Class, the children should be in Standard with the nanny.

BigChiefOrganiser Mon 27-Dec-10 22:19:19

Why not on a plane? If you can afford to travel first or business on a plane (or train), then it matters not if you have children or a herd of unruly elephants occupying the seats.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Dec-10 22:21:01

What if it's a place you can't drive to? Last I checked, you can't drive across the Atlantic.

I have all my family there and my father is too old to travel here now.

So that means all 5 of us have to fly, including a very active 2-year-old boy.

If we could afford first-class, I'd book that in a heartbeat.

CommanderDrool Mon 27-Dec-10 22:22:14

Driving! Have you ever driven from Glasgow to London with three children in the back of a Toyota Corolla?

I have.

<immediately feels migraine coming on>

Actually my kids are reasonably well behaved although the baby screeches a bit.

God I wish I had a nanny.

coccyx Mon 27-Dec-10 22:22:46

go for it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: