Talk

Advanced search

.....for not realising?

(27 Posts)
LadyThumb Mon 27-Dec-10 16:26:38

I was in a supermarket car park today, and put my trolley back and collected my pound. The trolley I put it into also had a pound in it. So I took it out. Walking back to the car I saw a lady go back to the trolley bay (I had passed her on my way there). I didn't ask her if it was her pound........and now I feel incredibly guilty.

Shall I just put it in a charity box?

FellatioNelson Mon 27-Dec-10 16:28:23

No. It's a pound, not her life savings.

AnyFuckerisFucked Mon 27-Dec-10 16:28:49

spend it on sweeties

lollipopshoes Mon 27-Dec-10 16:29:22

you should go back to the supermarket and wait at the door until the same lady returns to do her next week's shopping and return the pound to her immediately.

Or put it in a charity box

Or forget about it - it is, after all, only a pound

earwicga Mon 27-Dec-10 16:30:49

It's the woman's fault for not having an eight year old who can't wait until the end of a shopping trip to go put the trolley back and claim the pound. Go give the pound to the next bright eight year old you see

IAmReallyFabNow Mon 27-Dec-10 16:38:05

Just keep it in your purse to give back to her if you see her again. Hopefully it isn't going to cause her any hardship, I know some OAP don't have a lot of money.

LadyoftheHouseofLove Mon 27-Dec-10 16:52:07

Its only a pound, dont worry about it!

If I went shopping and left money in the trollley, i'd be more surprised if it didn't get taken tbh grin

If its really bothering you though, donating it to charity sounds a good idea.

ChristmasTrolleyRage Mon 27-Dec-10 17:00:21

<<rages into thread>>

THAT WAS MY LAST POUND.

[fengry]

Now I have no money for food or electricity or fruit or petrol or Uggs or bingo or fish food.

<<stalks LadyThump>>

MerrilyDefective Mon 27-Dec-10 18:10:52

I found a tenner in the change part of the self service tills in Asda on christmas eve grin
I kept it.
It bought me a couple of bottles of plonk.

IAmReallyFabNow Mon 27-Dec-10 18:11:46

morallydefective maybe.

MerrilyDefective Mon 27-Dec-10 18:12:54

Totally....

activate Mon 27-Dec-10 18:12:57

the pound should go to charity with a little extra

keeping the tenner was theft plain and simple and you should be ashamed

MerrilyDefective Mon 27-Dec-10 18:14:22

Who do you suggest i should have given the tenner to?
The owner was long gone confused

lal123 Mon 27-Dec-10 18:37:22

I would have handed the tenner in - so that when person realised their mistake and came back they would be pleased that some honest person had found it instead of a theiving git...

IAmReallyFabNow Mon 27-Dec-10 18:38:37

You should have given it to the customer service counter. Someone will come back for that and will be gutted.

activate Mon 27-Dec-10 18:40:47

customer services counter

was that a trick question? Who should I have given it to?

it wasn't yours was it!

curlymama Mon 27-Dec-10 18:41:56

I would have handed the tenner in too, and how do you know the owner was long gone? Did you ask out loud if someone had forgotten it?

I'd feel guilty about the pound as well tbh, you knew what you were doing at the time and I think that'a awful behaviour. The fact that it was only a pound does not make being that selfish and mean ok. And it's bad karma, which will come back and bite you on the bum.

Donate a fiver to age concern, and you might get away with it.

DreamTeamGirl Mon 27-Dec-10 18:47:12

Last Christmas my sister and I found £40 in the cashpoint and then £50 in the self service check out on the SAME shopping trip 2 days before Christmas

We handed both in.

No idea what happened, but there is no way I could have kept either amount, especially so close to Christmas. For me £10 goes in the same category. Too much to keep.

£1.00 meh, spend it, buy sweets, give it to your kids, drop it in the charity box, £1 is £1 and not going to break most (almost anyone TVBH)'s bank

Guitargirl Mon 27-Dec-10 18:48:13

Buy a lottery ticket!

AmazingBouncingFerret Mon 27-Dec-10 18:54:45

Someone dropped a £20 note on our shopfloor the other week. We kept it in the till until the end of the day. Nobody returned to claim it. There was much discussion of whether to buy cakes for ourselves or to put it into our Save the Children charity box. The charity box won.
For what it's worth if I have the misfortune of dropping money I assume it's gone for good and write it off, I guess I dont have much faith!
OP. It was a quid, if you still feel bad in the morning put a quid in the next charity box you see.

oneortwo Mon 27-Dec-10 18:58:53

If I left a tenner at self check out I'd assume it was gone, I would only go to customer service for a forgotten card or keys or something.

But if I didn't notice leaving it at the time then I'd prob assume it fell out of my pocket later anyway?

hand in a purse (complete with money), but just cash? I really doubt that would ever get back to its original owner!

re the pound, YANBU

If i had left a tenner in theself service tills i would just expect it to be gone. I wouldnt go back to the customer service desk to see if anyone had handed it in. I was once stood behind a couple in their 50s at a cash point and they seemed to be taking ages huddled around the screen. As i silently urged them to hurry up they retrieved their card and walked away and as i stepped up to the machine it spat out a wad of cash that must have been about £200. I stood with it in my hand for what seemed like a lifetime though it can't have been because when i shouted of them they were only about10 - 15 paces away. They came towards me totally shocked that they had left their money in the machine and i handed it over to them. I was pretty skint at the time but i couldnt have taken that money, no matter what. I just wonder though which number between £1 and £10 does it become unacceptable to pocket cash you find? smile

IAmReallyFabNow Mon 27-Dec-10 19:02:58

No, not a trick hmm.

She took a tenner knowing it wasn't hers and just because some people think the owner wouldn't have gone back for it doesn't make it right that she stole it.

SmokinSanta Mon 27-Dec-10 19:12:23

Any cash up to £5 we find on the floor/trolleys etc goes in the first charity pot we see. Anything over that gets handed in. I'd hope someone would do the same for me.

FWIW I would go back to a shop I had left £10 in and ask at customer services. £10 to me is an awful lot of money - its my electric or my gas for the week on prepayment meter for instance. I would be devastated to have lost that much and that someone would just walk off with it thinking "score, free wine" as opposed to handing it in.

HopeForTheJingleBells Mon 27-Dec-10 19:16:10

But if you got back from shopping and found you were a tenner short, would you really know where exactly you'd left/forgotten/dropped it?

Karma-wise it'd be nice to pay it forward and put something in the next charity tin you see (both the pound and the tenner person).

Handing it in is just madness though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now