Talk

Advanced search

to feel a bit squeamish about PIL's sleeping arrangements?

(51 Posts)
parakeet Sun 26-Dec-10 18:49:35

We have an impending visit to their house for several days. They have two guest rooms, so me and DH go in one, our two children in the other.

Unfortunately MIL and FIL have had a serious falling out for several months now - basically because FIL is an argumentative grumpy old sod and MIL is finally losing patience with him, and it appears they no longer share a bed. The last time we visited, I came downstairs in the morning (our children are very early risers) to find FIL sleeping on the couch. Once the children were rampaging round the living room he told me he was going upstairs to sleep in the children's double bed.

Our children's sleep can be a bit chaotic when we stay at theirs and I have a bad feeling there will come a point when they are sleeping in their double, and FIL will want to sleep in OUR guest room - i.e. the bed I sleep in. AIBU to flinch at this? And how on earth can I possibly say no?

RockinRobinBird Sun 26-Dec-10 18:53:11

I don't think you can say no, it's their house and they will offer you whatever spare space they have to sleep in, surely. If they are no longer sharing a bed and therefore only have one spare room then they will offer you that spare room. It's what everyone else does. It's up to you to fit into wherever you're offered.

RockinRobinBird Sun 26-Dec-10 18:54:58

And why squeamish btw?

jumpyjack Sun 26-Dec-10 18:55:24

YANBU to flinch at the thought of it, but I don't think you can do anything in advance. It may not happen. Do you get on well with your MIL? Could you have a quiet word with her just checking they're happy with the sleeping arrangements?

parakeet Sun 26-Dec-10 18:55:41

Yes, but when you offer someone a bed for the night, you usually change the sheets beforehand. Just in case I didn't make myself clear, there will be no sheet-changing going on during this visit, I can guarantee that.

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Sun 26-Dec-10 18:57:30

poor them sad that their marriage is in trouble like this.

I don't think your sleeping arrangements are the most important thing here.

Take a couple of air mattresses and have the kids on the floor in the same room as you, leaving the other room free for your fil.

And see if they want some support / a listening ear.

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Sun 26-Dec-10 18:58:30

oh, x post. re sheets - take your own or ask "where are the sheets" and change them yourself. job done.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 26-Dec-10 19:01:32

In efffect they only hve one guest room so agree, take airbeds and let kids sleep on those - or you sleep on one and put kids in the bed in the room you get. That way, PIL does not have to sleep on the couch.

parakeet Sun 26-Dec-10 19:01:45

What planet are you living on HecTheHalls? Why on earth would a couple in their sixties want to share their personal troubles with a woman about 25 years younger who they don't even know very well.

Our sleeping arrangements may not be the most important factor in the grand scheme of things but it's the only thing I have any control over - I certainly can't help them save their marriage (and I'm not so sure it would even be advisable even if I could).

oldandgreynow Sun 26-Dec-10 19:02:30

I think it's wrong your kids are in a double bed whilst your FIL is on the couch.As the other poster said, put them in sleeping bags on your floor

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Sun 26-Dec-10 19:04:43

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought they were your inlaws so naturally assumed they were your husband's parents and so he knew them really well and as a couple you could reach out and offer them support.

My mistake.

AnyFuckerisFucked Sun 26-Dec-10 19:04:46

just use one spare room, with your kids on air beds

then they can do what they like with the other

you sound a bit cold, tbh...let's hope your "squeamishness" doesn't add extra stress to an already disintegrating marriage hmm

ivykaty44 Sun 26-Dec-10 19:12:04

take a self inflating airbed in the car with you, then the dc sleep on that and MIl and FIl keep their own bedrooms and you don't feel worried

CarolSinger Sun 26-Dec-10 19:13:36

Hmm I think I would feel a bit boak about FIL hopping into the bed and sleeping on the sheets that I had vacated but would be sleeping in that night.

Although I do feel sorry for any couple having relationship troubles.

Agree with suggestions of air beds on the floor for the DC, or you and your DH sleep on the sofa?

I would be tempted to take put up beds for the kids and have them in your room with you. Tell the ILs that they arent sleeping well and they need to be in with you atm

curlymama Sun 26-Dec-10 19:23:03

Bit of a harsh reply to Hec there OP hmm

I would take a couple of spare flat sheets and pillowcases, and just put them over the top of the sheets they provide. Then hide them in your bag when you aren't using the room.

beachholiday Sun 26-Dec-10 19:28:17

You're the guests. They are having all of you to stay for several days, and your FIL is willing to put up with spending the night on the couch to facilitate you.

It would be gracious to insist you do not need both spare rooms for your family so that he does not have to do that.

AnyFuckerisFucked Sun 26-Dec-10 19:30:38

there is not a lot of graciousness in evidence here, tbh

parakeet Sun 26-Dec-10 19:30:57

Yes, lots of people have come up with a good solution, taking airbeds and sharing the children's room with them. Thanks all.

And sorry to quibble, HecTheHalls, but you didn't say "you and your DH could reach out to them as a couple". You said "you". Single.

I think you were trying to make the point that I was not sounding very sympathetic to their marital problems. And perhaps I'm not, but I have good reason.

AnyFuckerisFucked Sun 26-Dec-10 19:33:12

ah, there is more to this then ?

parakeet Sun 26-Dec-10 19:35:29

Well like, I said, he is an argumentative grumpy old sod.

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Sun 26-Dec-10 19:36:42

sorry to quibble but I didn't say you at all.

I said "And see if they want some support / a listening ear."

So if you are going to spit your dummy out because you're not hearing what you want to hear, make it at something I actually said.

MmeLindt Sun 26-Dec-10 19:36:43

Parakeet
Hec offered good advice, based on your OP - I thought your reply was quite rude tbh.

Hope you manage to sort something out, sounds like a strained atmosphere to be visiting with them.

AnyFuckerisFucked Sun 26-Dec-10 19:38:51

the visit sounds like a bad idea all round, tbh

you obviously don't want to go at all, and the timing (for them) is awful

why are you doing it ?

parakeet Sun 26-Dec-10 19:40:02

Hec - er...fair enough! You didn't use the word "you".

I still maintain it was implied though, as you didn't bring my DH into it. So the command, "See if they want..." sounds like you're talking directly to me, not to my DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now