Talk

Advanced search

to worry that my child is a coldhearted killer?

(18 Posts)
BrandyButterPie Sat 25-Dec-10 22:54:55

DD1: Here is my new boyfriend. His name is Superman.
Me: Oh, hello Superman!
DD1: His eyes are closed.
Me: Why?
DD1: He is dead. I shot him in the head with my gun. You can have his apple.
Me: er....thanks.

DD1 is an angelic looking 3yo. She doesn't have toy guns - said gun was her fingers. She isn't allowed to watch violent films. "Superman" was invisible. The apple wasn't.

hmmgrin

BrandyButterPie Sat 25-Dec-10 22:56:24

Actually, now I mention it, I don't know how she knows of Superman... DH has a cup with him on, could that be the root of my child's foray into murder?

mylifewithmangers Sat 25-Dec-10 22:58:28

If it's any consolation my 3yo DD is heavily into Spiderman & Batman (despite never having seen any films/cartoons). She is also very interested in 'those stick things with shooters that make you dead' confused

I think she picks up a lot from nursery!

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 25-Dec-10 22:58:45

I'm never turning my back on your dd1 ever again wink

BrandyButterPie Sat 25-Dec-10 23:11:29

She also came out with this gem after a visit to her great gran:

Me: How is Great Gran?
DD1: She is very old. She will probably die soon.

She wasn't upset- it was just a fact. Sigh.

Wail! My child is going to be a mass murderer!

I got her a toy workbench and tool set for Christmas too - she has a hammer!

grin

KaraStarbuckThrace Sat 25-Dec-10 23:14:24

Hmm clearly a sociopath as well as a mass murderer!

Kids come out with all sorts of crazy stuff and they can pick it up anywhere!

mylifewithmangers Sat 25-Dec-10 23:21:23

LOL BBP sounds like our DD's would get on like a house on fire. We to have had the 'When is Nanny going to die' conversations - I'm just glad they haven't directly been addressed to Nanny (only a matter of time I fear)

Mine got a toolset for Xmas last year. This year she has a pair of Batman pajamas, some walkie talkies and several toy cars and trains. Her favourite Santa present appears to be a Ben 10 toothbrush (she has never watched Ben 10, but appears to covet anything to do with him)

She also got a Dolly and pram though, which was a bit of a chance present, but appears to have gone down quite well!

fifitrixibell Sat 25-Dec-10 23:43:20

I think young children can be really matter of fact about death etc because they don't really understand it.
Tonight while we were eating our christmas pudding we were joking about how in a few years time DD1 will be making christmas dinner for all of us. DD2 then pipes up ' you might all be dead by then'. Er... thanks!grin

EdgarAleNPie Sun 26-Dec-10 00:16:38

i thought all toddlers were sociopaths.

no?

flaime Sun 26-Dec-10 11:32:25

I picked up my DS from preschool one day to be told that he spent the morning pretending to cut the head of a baby with a chainsaw, but it was ok as he then pretended to sew it back on again blush

Don't they just make you soooo proud at times grin

babybarrister Sun 26-Dec-10 12:30:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anniegetyourgun Sun 26-Dec-10 12:38:04

Aged around 2, DS1 was playing with a plastic tea set on my bed. I said "Is that a lovely cup of tea?" "No" he said, "it poosan [poison]. I go to die now." And did an impressive death scene.

Some 22 years on he doesn't seem to be a serial killer, but did get a degree in drama...

TiggyD Sun 26-Dec-10 17:19:18

Children don't really understand killing and death. It's a good idea to get pets to practice on.

TiggyD Sun 26-Dec-10 17:20:21

I mean when they die of old age children will realise they're really not going to get better and come back to life.

TiggyD Sun 26-Dec-10 17:21:40

When the pets die that is. Get some with quite short life spans so you don't have to wait too long for the important bit.

A lemming that smokes would be perfect.

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Sun 26-Dec-10 17:29:27

TiggyD - your first post really made me snort!!! I wondered what kind of a bloodbath for a home you have!

MrsThisIsTheCadillacOfNailguns Sun 26-Dec-10 18:49:06

It sounds a fairly normal thing to me.When dd2 was about 3,she crept into our room one morning,touched my face with a clammy cold hand and intoned,'You're going to die soon'.

That really set me up for the day.

BrandyButterPie Sun 26-Dec-10 19:03:10

She has lost two close relatives in the past 18 months (an uncle and a great grandad) so saly it isn't a lack of death.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now