Talk

Advanced search

DH spending too much time in Church?

(19 Posts)
LornMowa Fri 24-Dec-10 17:08:57

This Christmastide, DH is proposing to go to Midnight Mass, the 10am Christmas day service and again on Sunday. AIBU to wish that he didn't go quite so much?

hohohohobnobsaremyfave Fri 24-Dec-10 17:11:11

Depends! If he's the vicar YABU!! grin

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 24-Dec-10 17:11:22

Message withdrawn

rubyslippers Fri 24-Dec-10 17:12:46

Isn't Xmas a religious festival?

RockinRobinBird Fri 24-Dec-10 17:17:20

YABU, that's standard stuff. It looks more because Christmas falls on a Saturday so you've got normal Sunday mass the next day.

LynetteScavo Fri 24-Dec-10 17:18:45

He obviously really likes Christmas.

I think you are being a bit U.

werewolf Fri 24-Dec-10 17:20:41

If he's not making you go, then meh, what's to worry about?

TmiEdward Fri 24-Dec-10 17:22:32

I think YABU.
Christmas is a Christian festival (clue's in the name!) and it's not unusual to attend these three services. It's just a bit squashed up because of Christmas on Saturday.

JaneS Fri 24-Dec-10 17:25:56

That's normal. It's because Christmas falls on a Saturday.

Why's it a problem, is he dumping the childcare on you? If so, tell him to take them - there will probably be loads of parents there on Christmas day, at our church people come that day who never turn up the rest of the year, so no-one will mind wriggly toddlers/baby crying a bit.

purplepidjbauble Fri 24-Dec-10 17:25:59

If this is out of the ordinary, then YANBU.

It this is totally normal for him, or you haven't been together long enough to know, then YABU.

Winter sun festivals are a religious occasion, no matter what name you give it.

You could even go with him? hmm

Quattrocento Fri 24-Dec-10 17:28:20

DS is doing the same - painful for the parents doing the ferrying!

In your case though - isn't it nice to have a clear run at things without him? You should go with him to midnight mass - even as a card-carrying atheist, midnight mass is fun and really reminds you what christmas is meant to be about.

architien Fri 24-Dec-10 17:35:06

Ok it's more frequent that you're used to due to the way it falls this year but try to look on the positive side. You love your husband because of who he is and quite a bit of his sense of self will be his faith. He more likely than not prays for all of you when he goes to Mass which surely is endearing that he does that, if not then you wouldn't love him for the faithful loyal spiritual soul he is.
How about going along with him for the Christmas Mass (if i was to choose it would be the midnight one as that can be very very special and exciting if you've got children), especially if you don't normally go with him weekly. It would be a very special gift to your husband by standing by his side and showing you appreciate that side of him. If you find the other ones too much for you then i think setting aside a bit of time to have a nice bath or do something for 45minutes with the children such as drawing a card for him as a surprise (if you have any, as you don't say i'll cover both options).
Life is so short, but these little acts of appreciation can be so magical and memorable don't pass up an opportunity to create one of those gifts

sleepingsowell Fri 24-Dec-10 17:51:31

Fine, so long as he's not dumping you with all the preparations and stress at home while he's out.
If he is then it's unreasonable. Would be better for him to show christian love and care and stay with you helping you.
OR do a very minimal christmas dinner etc if it's a hassle without help. It's just about priorities I think.

UnquietDad Fri 24-Dec-10 17:54:52

Is he normally a bit of a god-botherer or is it just the time of year?

FuturePM Fri 24-Dec-10 18:05:19

Isn't it Christmas? IE: The celebration of Christ's birth? I think YABU to think he should shun church when it is BECAUSE of Jesus that the seasonal jollies are going on.

Gracie123 Fri 24-Dec-10 18:10:09

I do think YAB a teensy bit U. Why does it bother you if he goes to church? But on the other hand, we're Christian, but arent going to any services this weekend because we prefer to spend time with family, so I can see your point too.

Tortington Fri 24-Dec-10 18:15:42

YANBU jesus shit on a stick thats 2 masses too many

shinyshoesandglitterypoos Fri 24-Dec-10 18:17:26

YABU and YANBU - in the sense that he has a right to observe whatever religion he likes and practice it. But YANBU in that it is a christian virtue to care for others including his family and it's their christmas too.

On the other hand, it serves you right for marrying a god-botherer wink

RockinRobinBird Fri 24-Dec-10 19:02:47

Come on, I can't believe anyone is casting aspersions at a Christian/Catholic (op doesn't specify) going to mass at Christmas. FGS that's the whole point and a basic requirement. If you're religious then it's more important to be in church than stuffing a turkey. If he's intending to attend all three services in the next two days then I'm guessing he's not a fairweather congregant. If he was he'd be content to saunter into midnight mass with everyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now