Talk

Advanced search

to think that one born every minute live is pretty unethical

(68 Posts)
carriedaxmaspudding Thu 23-Dec-10 21:01:55

i dont really agree with it being on live.

KenDoddsDadsDogEatsTinsel Thu 23-Dec-10 21:03:17

Is it going to just be live updates though rather than full on as it happens?

BlathIceSkate Thu 23-Dec-10 21:04:27

Why?

littlenuttree Thu 23-Dec-10 21:07:41

I wouldn't have thought it would be totally live, I'd expect it to have some time delay in case of an emergency coming up or something going wrong. Is that what you were thinking of carriedaxmaspudding?

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Thu 23-Dec-10 21:09:38

Yes, I was disappointed when I saw it was going to be live. What if one of the births goes wrong? Are they going to carry on filming or just stop? confused The first option is abhorrent, the second option doesn't sound like very good TV.

MumInBeds Thu 23-Dec-10 21:12:31

I think it will be like City Hospital (is that still going) where they have some pre-recorded stuff and are very selective about what live stuff they show. Still very risky though.

sausagerolemodel Thu 23-Dec-10 21:12:42

oh its just channel4 are trying to be "edgy"

KenDoddsDadsDogEatsTinsel Thu 23-Dec-10 21:13:38

Just looked at the website and it's going to be like City Hospital. Updates and highlights.

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Thu 23-Dec-10 21:16:21

But even if something doesn't go horribly wrong, I'm sure there are going to be some first time mums who've consented who don't really know what they're letting themselves in for. It's one thing to give birth on camera and then have the option to say "Actually, I didn't realise XYZ was going to happen, I don't want it shown any more." Completely different if it's live or with a short delay. When you've just given birth you're not at your most articulate, let's face it grin

However they were pretty discreet in the first series - no close ups of episiotomies, no pooing, nothing majorly embarrassing like that - so perhaps they will be sensitive. It just seems difficult to be so, really.

ifancyashandy Thu 23-Dec-10 21:21:26

R: "It's one thing to give birth on camera and then have the option to say "Actually, I didn't realise XYZ was going to happen, I don't want it shown any more."

People sign their consent before filming. Very difficult to retract it afterwards.

Having said that, producers (generally) would ask again in the event of bad news.

PureAsTheColdDrivenSnow Thu 23-Dec-10 21:23:21

I was talking about this with a friend today. While I was in labour, and immediately afterwards I wouldn't have CARED who filmed me, what I said, any of it. 2 weeks later I would have reeled back with horror..

that's why it's unethical.

Thankfully DP would never have let me agree to anything like this while having DS (though I may well have and regretted it later) but there are plenty of women who don't have a strong birth partner there to stand up for them while they're in a vulnerable position.

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 23-Dec-10 21:25:29

Message withdrawn

ifancyashandy Thu 23-Dec-10 21:29:03

I can honestly assure you that the casting team will have spent hours and hours and hours and hours talking to the potential contributors.

They will have actively sought out women / families who are not having their first child. There will be a level of trust and relationships developed on both sides. They will only want to film people who want to be filmed. People will be able to pull out BUT they will have been selected because they are unlikely to drop(as much as possible - babies don't stick to Running Orders!)

Thet can't afford to have people drop at the last minute so will have spent sooooooo much time talking everyone involved through the process of filming / consent etc.

Inside knowledge but don't want to 'out' myself.

scarletbegonia Thu 23-Dec-10 21:32:23

ifancyashandy - would they have contingency plans in case something awful were to happen ?

I haven't watched the programme but can see why showing live births could be considered exploitation.

ifancyashandy Thu 23-Dec-10 21:36:31

They will have many many many contingency plans. If you knew the number of 'alternative' running orders live show producers have for so many different scenarios!

And you can bet your bottom dollar that ultimately the medical staff and families have the final say so. They will be cleared out of any rooms if necessary.

And I bet the majority of the 'live' will be links to VT and meeting families just before delivery and then again just after babies have been born.

panettoinydog Thu 23-Dec-10 21:41:10

contracts will have been signed no doubt. People will know what they are signing up for.

Firawla Thu 23-Dec-10 22:22:52

oh i didn't know it was going to be live, that sounds a bit crap then. the other series was so good, why not just stick to that???
surely it would be quite boring if it was just live footage of people giving birth, as it takes ages so we don't wana watch the whole thing it needs to be cut here and there, voice over commentary and all that. as well as the v valid point you have made OP about it does seem a bit wrong.

weedle Fri 24-Dec-10 02:30:13

My friend works at PAH - a lot of the staff are very concerned about it being live. For obvious reasons really. I wont be watching that's for sure, despite giving birth there around this time last year!

washingonawednesday Fri 24-Dec-10 09:01:22

Are you sure there will be that many checks, etc? I was invited to be on this show pretty randomly! Was due 21st dec and am overdue now- could well give birth tomorrow, but there is no way I would do it on tv! I was invited through an email sent via bounty, so obviously a mass mail shot to those with correctish due dates!

TrillianAstra Fri 24-Dec-10 09:12:25

Why would you want to watch babies being born, live or otherwise?

It was forced upon us at school, and I think they were trying to put us off getting pregnant!

onimolap Fri 24-Dec-10 09:16:44

How will they arrange things to ensure those who have not consented do not meet film crews (even with equipment off) during their labour? I had an ambulatory labour, and think I would have been distressed had there been groups hanging around in the unit, especially as it would have had a direct and adverse impact on the labour process.

Balthasar Fri 24-Dec-10 09:21:07

It'll be stuff like:

"And we're here with fallulah, she's just given birth to twins! how are you feeling fallulah?", "oh, a bit sore.. "

"And here's Terry, he's waiting to go in to his wife's cesarian section, how are you feeling Terry", "oh, a bit nervous..."

violethill Fri 24-Dec-10 09:32:20

Im sure those who have agreed to be filmed know what they're doing. No one will have been press ganged into it! You have to remember that many people love the whole idea of being on telly- theres usually far more applicants for any sort of reality show than places available .

The only thing that surprises me' is why anyone wants to view other people having babies. Strange.

ifancyashandy Fri 24-Dec-10 09:39:22

Washing yes, that would have been a group email and they then would have whittled down those who responded.

Onimolap, there will be signs everywhere saying 'XX Production Comapany are filming - please let a membe of the production team know if you do not wish to be filmed' and they wil respect that. And I would imagine that the hospital have got specific areas for those who want to be filmed / those who dont and the crews won't be allowed into the 'no filming' areas. REmember, the Hospital have also agreed to this so they have some responsibility regarding privacy!

And yes, there will have been hundreds of applicants. And those who are taking part (as much as one can predict these things!) will have been psych tested to ensure their suitability etc.

And as to why anyone would want to watch a birth - I have done and it was the most amazing thing! I was in floods!

violethill Fri 24-Dec-10 09:56:00

I can imagine that if you are actually supporting someone as their birth partner, and have some sort of relationship as a relative or close friend, then yes, witnessing a birth must be miraculous.

What I meant was, why anyone wants to watch strangers giving birth on telly is beyond me!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: