Talk

Advanced search

to have renewed respect for Vince Cable

(21 Posts)
kerstina Wed 22-Dec-10 14:58:41

To have renewed respect for him for wanting to stand up to the Rupert Murdoch. I know it wasn't in the interest of fairness but is it right that the media is so dominated by Murdoch? Was disappointed that Milliband could not wait to say he should have been sacked.

discobeaver Wed 22-Dec-10 15:09:28

Not got a lot of respect for him showing off to two female reporters, silly old goat.

"I can bring the governement down" Code for "I've got a massive willy."

And now he's lost out to a tory.

BeenBeta Wed 22-Dec-10 15:25:01

I think this event will have implicatons far beyond the individual personalties.

Thinking forward, I can see a split in the LibDems. In particular after the vote on AV in the Spring.

It is clear that the left of the LibDems are uncomfortable with the Coalition agreement and that Vince Cable personifies that. Meanwile, the right of the LibDems under Clegg are having significant influence over Cameron in tempering the objectives and natural inclinations of the right of the Tory party that in itself is causing discontent.

The key issue is whether Labour will capitalise and indeed be able to attract sufficient LibDems, perhaps with Vince Cable at their head, to a 'Coalition of the Left' to bring down the current Govt if AV is rejected.

In effect, are we seeing the precursor to the creation of a two party electoral system in England? Either way, I see instability an drift in UK politics until that question is resolved with a clear mandate for one or other of the newly emerged English centre-left or centre-right parties that will come about with the demise of the LibDems.

kerstina Wed 22-Dec-10 17:17:14

Yes Vince would be better in coalition with Labour i am a Labour party voter but would consider voting for Vince as i think he is very wise and decent. I tend to respect the older politicians much more.
I don't think he was a fool talking to those girls just talking to them human to human. Journalism has reached a new low.

discobeaver Wed 22-Dec-10 17:22:01

He has a position of responsibility, he was in an MP's surgery - he should know better. Not a wise decision to go boasting the way he did.

If journalism can scout out what he really thinks, then fair enough. They didn't drug him or anything. I think he was foolish.

Andyes Murdoch has too much power, nit if Cable had done his job he would now be in a position to rein him in, but he screwed up, don't blame the journos.

notpartofthelifeplan Wed 22-Dec-10 17:24:07

He is obviously stupid or else he intended this to happen and it is all part of his plan.

I can't say I have respect for someone who reveals all to a couple of strangers. The Lib Dems are showing themselves up for what really are - a bunch of muppets. Remember they are the party that spawned Lembit Opik. hmm

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Wed 22-Dec-10 17:25:21

I have no respect for anyone with such an overinflated sense of self-importance. He has made himself look like a total twat.

said Wed 22-Dec-10 17:26:02

But he's fucked up any opportunity he had of doing real, needed damage to Murdoch. If he hadn't started bragging and posturing for some simpering, giggling girls he may have had some effect. I'm really angry with him.

BiscuitNibbler Wed 22-Dec-10 17:29:24

He's always been an attention-seeking rent-a-quote. This is just showing he's also a fool.

kerstina Wed 22-Dec-10 17:29:51

I must admit i had thought along the same lines as he had said it on purpose but thought my mind was working overtime but maybe he does have a plan.
Agree about Lembit but i did like Menzies Campbell shame he was considered to old in this shallow media obsessed age.

BlingLoving Wed 22-Dec-10 17:33:25

No, I have absolutely no respect for him. This is a man in a very senior position in government but without any sense of decorum nor discretion. Plus, he is clearly proud of the fact that he has made his decision already, completely outside of the appropriate due process that has been set up in this country.

People like him give all politicians a bad name.

panettoinydog Wed 22-Dec-10 17:39:22

No, I'm annoyed with him for fucking up so royally. Murdoch will be crowing.

earwicga Wed 22-Dec-10 17:43:39

YABU. His ego has meant he now has no say on expansions in the Murdoch empire.

NetworkGuy Wed 22-Dec-10 17:46:49

Without listening to the recording I don't have any view either way about whether he was boasting or as someone delightfully suggested just bragging as if he had a big willy...

I suspect some politicians could be led on to say something which can be twisted and quoted to discredit them.

I would have believed this action more from The Sun than the Telegraph, to be frank, and I also consider it a poor day for journalism.

30andTurkey Wed 22-Dec-10 17:53:58

Linky? Have missed all this!

ccpccp Wed 22-Dec-10 17:55:41

Cable has always been a bit of a to55er TBH.

I'll leave it to the Daily Mash to sum things up

here

ThoseArtisticTypes Wed 22-Dec-10 18:08:18

Anyone who wants to "Bring the government down" does not care about the country or us mere plebs!

earwicga Wed 22-Dec-10 20:25:23

It's the BBC that let out the Murdoch stuff NetworkGuy.

earwicga Wed 22-Dec-10 20:28:26

30andTurkey

The 'full transcript' which isn't the full transcript from the Telegraph Vince Cable: transcript of his meeting with reporters

The BBC's Robert Peston released the rest: What Vince Cable said about Rupert Murdoch and BSkyB

kerstina Thu 23-Dec-10 10:00:42

Thanks for the links earwicga i enjoyed reading the comments from people on the BBC one.

LeMarron Thu 23-Dec-10 10:10:51

I used to be a big fan of Cable, and I am a ethically a supporter of the LibDems but have been let down by this.

He was talking about misusing his political power for a personal agenda. About ignoring due process for a personal vendetta.

There is a word for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now