Talk

Advanced search

I'm a bit angry but AIBU?

(28 Posts)
insolsticecat Wed 22-Dec-10 14:34:50

My DD made a table centre at preschool and bought it home last week. It's made of a flowerpot and foliage-I was just setting up the conservatory where we are eating on christmas day and thought it would be nice to use hers on the coffee table.

I didnt know that when it was constructed they packed the bottom of the flowerpot with bright red tissue paper. I watered it, as you do with live foliage. Hoever as went to put it back I spilled the water from the bottom of the tub the pot wa stood in-the red dye from the tissue has run and I have dripped it all over my cream conservatory sofa and much much worse my white damask christmas table cloth that I inherited from my Great grandma.

I feel that it was really fooking stupid of the school to pack the bottom of these table centres with coloured tissue without telling me it was there considereing it was going to come in contact with water quite obviously. I know I'm the one who spilt it but really should i say something when term begins?

rainbowinthesky Wed 22-Dec-10 14:36:44

No, dont say anything. You'll look like an ungrateful nutter.

insolsticecat Wed 22-Dec-10 14:38:23

I can cope with that I think. The sofa is ruined! The tablecloth can be washed with bleach but the sofa cant!

scurryfunge Wed 22-Dec-10 14:38:27

How annoying. I'm not sure you would have cause to complain, it is just one of those things.

orangepoo Wed 22-Dec-10 14:38:32

have to agree with rainbowinthesky.

this sort of stuff happens, you just have to try and repair the damaage as best you can.

scurryfunge Wed 22-Dec-10 14:39:00

Wil house insurance cover your sofa?

raspberryberetbaby Wed 22-Dec-10 14:40:26

I dont think you should say anything tbh , maybe post this in good house keeping & try get some tips if possible to get the dye out . It's an unfortunate accident IMO . Hope you are able to salvage your table cloth .

Deliaskis Wed 22-Dec-10 14:40:40

YANBU to be a bit p'd off but Y would be BU to complain to the pre-school about it.

D

violethill Wed 22-Dec-10 14:41:04

Very frustrating for you, but don't think you can complain, as you spilt it- its not actually a design fault is it?

worldgonemad72 Wed 22-Dec-10 14:42:35

what do you want the school to do though? I also agree with rainbowinthesky.

curlymama Wed 22-Dec-10 14:43:08

If you are able to be friendly with the staff, I would tell them. you don't have to have a go at them, or be accusing, but you could just tell them in a non confrontational way. You will feel better about it, and they will think of something else to use next time.

FindingAManger Wed 22-Dec-10 14:43:13

I'd be v annoyed too! Hope you can get the stain out of the table cloth.

Are you saying they put the red tissue paper in the bottom of a plant pot, under the soil & plants? If so that is very stupid - take photos of the damage and let the teacher know so she/he doesn't do something so daft again.

Or perhaps it wasn't designed to be watered? If the foliage was 'cut' surely it would have been in a watertight container if it was intended to be watered? In which case YANBU to want DD's creation to last until Christmas, but you were a bit daft to water it!

insolsticecat Wed 22-Dec-10 14:43:43

I wasn't going to complain as such, I was just going to tell them what happened as a note to remind them to tell parents if they use coloured paper in places where it's likely that it will come into contact with water. if had been warned and still spilled I dont think I would have minded.

Yes household insurance should cover it but the sofa isn't an expensive one, but it is 4 months old. It now looks really nasty for christmas day when everything in there was looking beautiful.

defineme Wed 22-Dec-10 14:44:28

You must not complain to preschool.

It's really bad luck and must be very upsetting, but it's just one of those things.

Really really don't say a word.

YunoYurbubson Wed 22-Dec-10 14:45:03

"I know I'm the one who spilt it" <---- salient point.

insolsticecat Wed 22-Dec-10 14:47:12

The tissue was packed underneath the oasis block that the live foliage and candle are stuck in. I had no hope of knowing it was there, as the oasis has been glued in as well, it's obviously there to raise the height of the oasis. I was told to water it when I was given it to keep it alive til christmas.

defineme Wed 22-Dec-10 14:48:14

Cream throw on sofa?

If you just mention it it will still seem terribly ungracious and will make people feel unnecessarily bad.

Also, you are absolutely mistaken that most people would water it. I would just leave it on a window sill and forget it!

Sorry about your things though.

idontlikemondays Wed 22-Dec-10 14:49:55

You're meant to water those oasis foliage displays??!

scurryfunge Wed 22-Dec-10 14:51:21

Upholstery -removal of red dye

1. Mix one teaspoon of liquid hand dishwashing detergent and one tablespoon of ammonia (Caution: Never mix chlorine bleach and ammonia - the resulting fumes are hazardous) with two cups of cool water.

2. Using a clean white cloth, sponge the stain with the detergent/ammonia solution.

3. Blot until the liquid is absorbed.

4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until the stain disappears or is no longer absorbed into the cloth.

5. If the stain remains, mix one tablespoon of liquid hand dishwashing detergent and one tablespoon of white vinegar with two cups of cool water.

6. Sponge the stain with the detergent/vinegar solution.

7. Blot until the liquid is absorbed.

8. Repeat Steps 6 and 7 until the stain disappears or is no longer absorbed into the cloth.

9. Sponge the stain with rubbing alcohol.

10. Blot until the liquid is absorbed.

11. Sponge with cold water and blot dry.

insolsticecat Wed 22-Dec-10 14:54:05

so i'm told! Check for tissue though!

I have no cream throw and I cant get out to get one at the moment. I hate throws too. But it will have to be that wont it.

I told DH when he chose it that a bloody cream sofa with a 3 yr old in the house was a bad idea! Grr. He was insistent as the children dont use the conservatory it would be fine.

girlywhirly Wed 22-Dec-10 16:09:50

I trained a s a florist, and yes, if fresh foliage/ flowers are in wet oasis they should be kept wet to help the stuff live longer. Any florist would ensure that containers used were watertight, and if not line them with cellophane or polythene.

A case of people not really knowing what they're doing at preschool. We used to use freezer bags to line pots with at college. I would mention it to the staff to prevent this sort of thing happening again. Lets hope they learn from it. FWIW I would be angry, although I wouldn't lose my temper with them when I explained how the red tissue had caused those stains.

Not your fault o.p. you were instructed to water it and the tissue should never have been there in first place, the pot should have been watertight.

lal123 Wed 22-Dec-10 16:16:00

I would say something - if just so they can be more careful in future

Unrulysanta Wed 22-Dec-10 16:18:01

I wouldn't mention it - they're not trained florists are they and honestly they'll just think you're hugely ungrateful rather than treating it as a learning experience. I'd just treat things coming home with caution in future.

Megatron Wed 22-Dec-10 16:22:13

Oh for heavens sake it's from a pre-school, not interflora so of course it's not going to be 'designed' to perfection. DD brought one home too stuffed with bright pink tissue - I checked the bottom of the pot before I watered it, same as I do with any new plant.

FindingAManger Wed 22-Dec-10 16:41:06

well I would mention it then - clearly it was intended to be watered & it's a bit silly using coloured paper. They will know to use brown paper next time if you mention it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: