Talk

Advanced search

to drink in the afternoon, just this once?

(19 Posts)
fibernachi Wed 22-Dec-10 14:30:46

I am ill, really nasty cold/fluish thing which I've had for two weeks now. Was up until nearly 2 last night coughing and coughing and coughing until I was sick (repeat to passing out from exhaustion in bed).

I've just done the christmas food shopping accompanied by DD (18 months) and DS (just turned 3). Damn tight budget made it necessary to go to 3 supermarkets, chemist as well as a couple of other shops <aaaarrrgh>. All in freezing weather, driving on nasty roads.

So, AIBU / irresponsible / bad parent to put the DC in front of a DVD and drink one smallish glass of my christmas Baileys and MN before cracking on with the relentless round of cooking, cleaning and responsible parenting?

chrimblycompo Wed 22-Dec-10 14:32:35

I'd put the DVD on and go for a lie down
I'd also ring family and tell them as you're ill they'll a) have to come but bring the food
or b) not come

fibernachi Wed 22-Dec-10 14:35:17

Family? Chance would be a fine thing! Mine are all in different countries, DP's are a couple of hours drive away and DP works away monday to friday.

DC are to young for me to risk falling asleep while they're awake, IMHO.

It'll just be the 4 of us for christmas (which I'm very happy about TBH)

radiohelen Wed 22-Dec-10 14:35:40

No. YANBU. Make sure it's only one small one and I doubt anyone will suffer the wrath of God!

bairn24 Wed 22-Dec-10 14:37:50

Oooh you've put me right in the mood for a Baileys! Tho don't know if I'd want to drink it right now!

Could you set yourself a couple of jobs then reward yourself with the Baileys? You never know with the incentive of alcohol you may steam through all the jobs really quickly(and the bottle)!!

Hope you feel better and enjoy your Baileys!

chrimblycompo Wed 22-Dec-10 14:40:11

Ooh sorry I read the all the cooking and cleaning to be for visiting family blush

sod all that then but rest instead

the dcs would rather have a well mum than a poorly one but lots of mince pies grin

winnybella Wed 22-Dec-10 14:41:37

Of course YANBU. The only thing is that alcohol might make you even more tired hence making all those jobs even more difficult to do iyswim.

fibernachi Wed 22-Dec-10 14:42:39

A couple of jobs??!! Does 3 hours of (3) supermarkets and multiple other shops accompanied by two terrorists toddlers and a stinking cold, followed by an an hour of putting away and reorganizing cupbords to accommodate stuff not count? shock

bairn24 Wed 22-Dec-10 14:45:49

What I meant was get a couple of the things that need done out of the way, then have a small Baileys, then do a couple more followed by another reward. I do it all the time with the ironing - I say "3 shirts then a glass of wine" It makes it seem less onerous.

fibernachi Wed 22-Dec-10 14:47:37

Nah, cooking, cleaning and washing as normal. No christmas blitz needed, I'm just about on top of things despite the endless illness...

Have had a couple of sips of my small bailys and am feeling warm and nice. Will crack on again in a mo though. DC are relentless, so there's no chance of me baileysing bailing out and doing nothing. 'tis easier to get on than to try and sit / lay whith those two about wink

fibernachi Wed 22-Dec-10 14:49:54

Ooooh, more rewards allowed shock does that mean I can crack open the christmas choccies too? <sit on hands>

(All these ATTACK SITE warnings are pissing me off, can't even MN in peace. grr.)

MatureUniStudent Wed 22-Dec-10 15:02:41

Ha ha what a wonderful post. The fact that you are worried enough to post it, proves you have done nothing wrong and are a brilliant mother.

I remember when my large brood were all little, my neighbour phoning me after one particularly trying day, at 4pm. She told me that she didn't care what anyone thought, she was opening a bottle of white wine and would I like to do the same, at my house, so we could both be very bad mothers together. Happy days!

PeeringIntoAFestiveVoid Wed 22-Dec-10 16:31:33

YANBU! I can't believe the other posts have been mainly 'YANBU....but...'

Just purely YANBU - make it a large glass, and lie on the sofa watching the DVD with your DCs. Merry Christmas and get well soon. smile

PeeringIntoAFestiveVoid Wed 22-Dec-10 16:32:55

And if you're using firefox, click tools -- options -- security, and uncheck the 'block attack sites' box. No more warnings smile

MorticiaAddams Wed 22-Dec-10 16:35:16

YABU just to do it once wink

Hopefully you've had your Baileys now and the kids are quietly watching a film.

chrimblycompo Wed 22-Dec-10 16:35:46

I'm desperately trying to hang on til six pm but only be ause after the first glass I get a headache if it's too early

Christmaswithtesrocks Wed 22-Dec-10 16:38:38

YANBU - take it easy today with your Baileys and hopefully tomorrow you will be feeling better. I have cuddled up with DSs today as well as MN smile and feel much better for it.

Merry Christmas!

swanandduck Wed 22-Dec-10 16:44:15

YANBU. Have two!

create Wed 22-Dec-10 16:52:13

YANBU, but beware - a small one in the afternoon makes me horribly tired and bad tempered, so whilst it often seems like a good idea, especially if feeling a bit rough, it very rarely is for my family grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now