Talk

Advanced search

to think staff biscuits are for staff?

(26 Posts)
Cicatrice Tue 21-Dec-10 21:13:22

I sent a box of Xmas biscuits into nursery for the staff. (Xmas tree shaped, chocolate covered)They are all nice and take good care of DC.

When we attended the play the same biscuits were out for parents. And I think that if I gave them for staff, the staff should have them.

DH points out (rationally) that they could have bought the same biscuits for the express purpose of feeding the parents at the play, but they never normally have bought biscuits.

Am I nuts? A lot nuts, or only a little bit?

magicmummy1 Tue 21-Dec-10 21:15:54

They're biscuits. Not worth getting upset about. grin

Perhaps the staff received more biscuits than they could realistically eat?

Anyway, have a biscuit

MrsNonSmoker Tue 21-Dec-10 21:16:32

I'd think exactly the same as you, but I am a bit paranoid. Similar thing happened to DD aged 7 in class last week - the box of chocolates she bought for a student teacher appeared to be handed around class, but it was a box of Celebrations, probably a dozen of them going round the school. Mind you, I was a bit suspicious (as was she) as the student teacher didn't come in on last day of term and DD's proffered gift was no where to be seen ...

You'll never know eh!

SnowyGonzalez Tue 21-Dec-10 21:17:03

Agree with magicmummy.

I also think that if you give someone a gift it should come with no strings attached, i.e. you don't get to prescribe how they use it.

Toughasoldboots Tue 21-Dec-10 21:19:47

I have to admit that I would have been upset ( probably irrationally). In fact I feel quite annoyed for you, but I am like that, don't sweat the big stuff and lose sleep over something like this.

Actually I think it's really rude.

southeastastra Tue 21-Dec-10 21:20:48

don't send presents at all

LadyintheRadiator Tue 21-Dec-10 21:26:00

How on earth is it rude?

Maybe they don't want to eat all your bloody biscuits.

You are being completely precious tbh.

Cicatrice Tue 21-Dec-10 21:26:22

I really don't like the thought that something I sent in for the staff may have been requisitioned by the owner to offset the expense of entertaining parents.

Maybe they wanted to eat the biscuits and were being polite enough to share? Or did you want them to stay late after work and divide them up fairly according to whom had done the least and most for your ds?

magicmummy1 Tue 21-Dec-10 21:28:45

More likely that the staff just got too many biscuits and chocolate to eat themselves, I imagine.

I work in an office where we often receive "thank you gifts" at Christmas - we are unindated with biscuits and chocolate at the moment! grin

magicmummy1 Tue 21-Dec-10 21:29:45

Sorry, meant to add that we love getting the gifts and it's always really touching when people think to say thank you - just logistically difficult sometimes to munch our way through everything!

LadyintheRadiator Tue 21-Dec-10 21:30:01

Why not? You don't get to put conditions on presents.

What is rude or ungrateful about sharing the gift with parents? So if you gave them to a friend would you be pissed off if she got them out when family or other friends visited?

Look I don't mean to be rude but are you a bit stressed, lots going on in the run up to Christmas?

Maybe the owner thought 'how lovely of Cicatrice, these are just the thing to finish off the play nicely' - rude, ungrateful? Or gracious and kind?

Bingtata Tue 21-Dec-10 21:31:49

YABU, I would be very pleased with the example they were setting about sharing! I don't think it is rude, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

SnowyGonzalez Tue 21-Dec-10 21:32:33

Cicatrice, why don't you send them a card saying: "Dear Nursery Staff, I was most disappointed to see that you did not take up my offer to lard yourselves up big time before Xmas had even started. What do you think - that you have the right to decide for yourselves how much fat and sugar to cram into your sodding gullets? I am sending you all a box EACH this time and I fully expect you to send me film evidence of you all scoffing every crumb until you burst!"

Would that help?

grin

(am being tongue-in-cheek, please don't be offended!)

Toughasoldboots Tue 21-Dec-10 21:34:30

I was too op- thought it was lighthearted thread.

TattyDevine Tue 21-Dec-10 21:36:42

I think its a compliment to you and that they did it because the biscuits looked nice and extra special, like something you might buy in an artisan baker <<laying it on thick I admit>>

Similar thing happened to me, sort of, in that my son had his preschool Christmas party. They put a list of things for parents to bring and parents would tick off what they would bring. List was gone by the time my son had his days at preschool. So I asked what I could bring. Key Person said "whatever you like, its all covered".

So I said to my son, "if you were at a Christmas Party for preschool and there was a table of food, what would you most like to see on the table?" and he said "Chocolate cake!!!"

So I made a chocolate cake, nothing special, in the ring tin (bundt tin) with dark fudgey icing drizzled over, decorated with...smarties - because it was a kids party.

Brought it along, left it in the kitchen for them, in a nice domed cake plate thing.

When I went to collect him and get the plate back, cake was gone, and the committtee lady (who is lovely) said "oohhh....we didn't cut it, it was too nice to cut, so we made it a raffle prize"

Which was fine, really - obviously it was nice enough to be a prize so I can't complain...BUT - poor boy said when we got home, "I forgot to have chcolate cake" !!! all full of angst (because he'd been eyeing it up the day I made it and I told him he'd have to wait till it was cut at the party, etc etc...

So I had to make another of the chuffing things didn't I! grin

Arghrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

(Pity I didn't win the raffle, coulda won me own cake back...)

Cicatrice Tue 21-Dec-10 21:37:34

I'm not offended, I know I'm being unreasonable, I'm just trying to gauge how unreasonable.

If somebody asked me to provide video evidence of me eating a box of biscuits, I could certainly do it! Live.

FabbyChic Tue 21-Dec-10 21:38:56

YOu gave them to the staff, what they do with them is up to them.

LadyintheRadiator Tue 21-Dec-10 21:40:36

Ok, well on a scale of 1-10 this is a 10. Don't give gifts if you can't do it in good spirit.

Cicatrice Tue 21-Dec-10 21:55:14

Thats good to know.

porcamiseria Tue 21-Dec-10 22:04:43

you know you are nuts, dont you?

Cicatrice Tue 21-Dec-10 22:09:02

The evidence seems to be pointing that way, porcamiseria.

curlymama Tue 21-Dec-10 22:23:09

I work in a nursery, we get loads of boxes of biscuits. We cannot possibly eat them all, nor would I personally want to. So to prevent them lingering in a cupboard until they reach the use by date and then going in the bin, the staff at your nursery put them to good use.

The other thing is that we usually have a cup of tea and the same snack as the children, in their presence, so biscuit eating opportunities really don't come up very often, as obviously we can't sit there scoffing bicuits while expecting the children to tuck into crackers and carrot sticks.

cubbie Tue 21-Dec-10 22:26:36

I agree with you, Cicatrice, I have to say.

yes, give a gift in the spirit of generosity etc etc but I DO think it was wrong to dish them up for the parents. If you'd wanted to do that, you'd have said, "these are for after the concert/play/whatever".

I'm a primary teacher and we also get loads sent in. We eat it with great gusto and save whatever isn't opened till January.

I'm ashamed to say that our DHT asks us if we've been given lots of boxes of chocolates, then we could donate some for him/her to take when attending the hospital religious service, for distribution amongst patients.

NOT that I grudge the poor souls who don't really have any visitors, BUT the chocolates etc were intended for the individual teacher, not an unknown person in hospital.

I hadn't really thought about this until I read your post. I think YANBU. I usually hand in biscuits/chocolates to our GP's surgery as between my DC and I, we seem to be there rather a lot!

I wouldn't be very pleased if, for example, they were put out at reception for patients coming in and out to help themselves to!

yes, the "giver should be glad", BUT the giver, IMVVHO, has the right to expect the gift to go to the person/persons it was intended for.

Some years, when I've had loads of goodies given to me, I might take a box with me when visiting, but I will always say, these were from so-and-so, a nice little girl etc and make sure that they are opened at the time so that I have some.

Zorayda Tue 21-Dec-10 22:27:17

Cicatrice Tue 21-Dec-10 22:09:02

The evidence seems to be pointing that way, porcamiseria.

I think you're taking this very well! This close to Christmas I'm certifiable worrying about presents and cards and meh. You sound slightly mad but rather lovely - the standard MN demographic! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now