Talk

Advanced search

to feel like eating my own head at the mention of Pokemon

(17 Posts)
thothefrostwascruelladepoppins Tue 21-Dec-10 20:42:55

My DS aged 9 is very keen on Pokemon and has lately been talking of nothing else on our walk to school in the snow (which takes about 45 mins). It's all about what attributes they have and the various battle tactics that can be used ...

Although I try to sound enthusiatic for a reasonable time, I am far from enthralled. sad My attempts to change the subject to one of mutual interest are not successful for very long.

Do you tell a 9-year-old when you are just not interested, or do you just let them rattle on? and on ... and on ... and on ...

GodRestYeEllieMentalmen Tue 21-Dec-10 20:44:39

hahahahahahahahahahha! <<cries a little bit>>
I have a 13 year old who was pokemon obsessed and now my 10 year old is. I have done something like 8 years (running concurrently) of pokemon-shit-babbling! People get less for manslaughter......

mugggletoeandwine Tue 21-Dec-10 20:46:08

My DD is, and idiot me has bought her another game for Christmas, oh and a book too so she'll never shut up about the damn things now.

Goblinchild Tue 21-Dec-10 20:48:27

At least the films are on DVD now. I had to sit through all of them at the cinema. sad

CardyMow Tue 21-Dec-10 21:18:25

<<Head implodes>> I have an 8yo DS1 that has been pokemon obsessed since he was 5yo. I pretend to listemn to him for about 10 mins then I go "You do realise that I have no interest in Pokemon, and have NO IDEA what you are talking about??!!". <<Mean Mummy>>

EWeatherwax Tue 21-Dec-10 21:30:16

I always get confused as my 8yr old can reel off the type, evolutions and moves of 140 + pokemon and is treated as a guru at school on the DS games but can't remember what he did in school by 3.30

lazarusinNazareth Tue 21-Dec-10 21:32:47

Ds1 was mesmerised by Pokemon. He is now 21. I never, ever thought I would have to go through it all again but ds2 (7) also loves it too. All those years when I was Pokemon -free and didn't appreciate it!
You have my sympathy and understanding {fsmile]

Spinkle Tue 21-Dec-10 21:43:17

Try living with an autistic kid then.

And they don't care that you don't listen...

GodRestYeEllieMentalmen Wed 22-Dec-10 13:00:54

lol at goblinchild....

pokemon dvds are ds's default comfort-blanket mode.

Iklboo Wed 22-Dec-10 13:02:34

I am very lucky that DS has proclaimed Pokemon as 'wubbish'. However, we do have about 48 million Ben 10 figures and associated shite merchandise to compensate.

IAPJJLPJ Wed 22-Dec-10 13:23:51

our obsessions so far have been:

Trains
Transformers
Ben 10
Starwars
Pokemon
Bakugan
ben 10 ultimate alien

and just when I reach saturation point with one obsession we start BACK at the beginning.....sob....sob.....

GodRestYeEllieMentalmen Wed 22-Dec-10 14:16:05

ds (10) has had a train obsession from 1 year til...oh still ongoing actually

He had a small flirtation with dinosaurs but then replaced that with Pokemon.

He likes bakugan, but pokemon is his passion.

StarlightPrincess Wed 22-Dec-10 14:18:19

Ahhhh Pokemon has a soft spot in my heart as I was obsessed with it about 10 years ago! grin

southeastastra Wed 22-Dec-10 14:19:37

i was the same but now ds has moved onto the horror that is ... sonic the hedgehog. i'd take pokemon anytime compared to that.

thothefrostwascruelladepoppins Thu 23-Dec-10 15:27:52

So ... do most of you just tune out/ ahem, listen without letting on you're stupefied with boredom?

I don't "mind" him being interested, I'm just keen to make the right step towards us having more mutually rewarding conversations. I can't say anything intelligent about Pokemon, that's for sure. He just downloads at me and I don't like it!

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Thu 23-Dec-10 15:37:06

Oh dear god. DS1 -

First there were cars. Make and model of every car, from the front back or side.

He's got a big plastic crate full of little cars that he now never plays with.

Then gogos. well over 200. He knew their name, special skill, which sticker book they were in and what their number was in that book.

They are now in a drawer.

Then ben 10. He knew the name of every episode of every series. He has a big blue box FULL of every ben10 toy known to man, including the rare gwen10 figure. The DAY the last DVD (imported from the US and necessatating a trip to asda to buy a multiregion dvd player!) landed on the doormat - literally the DAY it landed - he moved on to gormiti.

3 gormiti playsets and a drawer full of gormiti figures later he got into pokemon.

Pokemon OBSSESSED. Yes, al the dvds. All the toys. the sticker books, the mags, the pokeballs.

And this christmas he wanted all the pokemon games he HASN'T got (he's got all the ones for wii & ds1) so For christmas I have bought him the pokemon games for gameboy advance. And a gameboy advance to play them on.

2 days before christmas and now

HE'S OBSESSED WITH FUCKING MARIO!!!!!!!!

ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

If your child has the one passion and sticks with it - count your lucky stars! grin

BeenBeta Thu 23-Dec-10 15:54:18

I feel all of your collective pain and suffered and said just about everything above with DS1 and DS2 age 10 and 8.

The latest thing is playing online games. I know the ins and outs of smithing plate armour, making pikes, swords, etc, etc. DS1 even asked me today to time him with a stop watch so he could optimise the rate at which he fishes online for virtual trout to maximise his earning capacity.

We started taking them to judo but now that has become an obsession too! GAAaarrrrgh!

Why cant they just read a book and play with mud like I had to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now