Talk

Advanced search

URGENT. I am fecking stuck halfway through a 3 point turn

(204 Posts)
ChristmasTrolleyRage Tue 21-Dec-10 16:54:03

On a very snowy underused road.

slightly downhill need to reverse so can drive out of cul-se-fecking-sac.

Any advice?

Yulephemia Tue 21-Dec-10 16:55:24

Try using only the clutch, no accelerator. It's supposed to give you more traction: not been brave enough to try it myself!

LadyBiscuit Tue 21-Dec-10 16:55:36

Ve-e-r-r-y little power to your wheels. Can you chuck some gravel behind your tyres?

jendot Tue 21-Dec-10 16:56:07

Cry??

Sorry not a clue but couldn't leave your un-answered. Hopefully someone less clueless to me will be along soon!

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Tue 21-Dec-10 16:56:08

are you facing downhill or uphill?

narkypuffin Tue 21-Dec-10 16:56:21

piece of carpet under drive wheels, shovel to move as much snow and ice as poss

nickeldonkeybethlehemsinsight Tue 21-Dec-10 16:56:23

are you heading downhill?

turn your wheels to face the curb and reverse slowly (don't over accelerate)

make sure you do quite a tight circle.

just keep repeating going forward and back like that.

If you can't move your wheels, get your mats fro mthe back and put them under your front wheels.

atswimtwolengths Tue 21-Dec-10 16:57:05

Can you put an old towel/blanket under each tire?

nickeldonkeybethlehemsinsight Tue 21-Dec-10 16:57:13

(behind your front wheels when you reversse and in front of them when you go forward)

can you upload a picture?

LeChatRouge Tue 21-Dec-10 16:58:19

Instead of turning the way you want to go, try turning the steering wheel the other way until you start to move, then turn the wheel to the way you want to go.

I did this earlier in the car park, worked fine.

Or ask for a push?

Good luck. I like your way of thinking - get stuck, oh no, quick post on Mumsnet. Fab.

FiveFeetTwo Tue 21-Dec-10 16:58:38

Take your time. Make it a 60 point turn if you have to. Nice and slow, lots of clutch very little power.

Good luck.

Hulababy Tue 21-Dec-10 16:58:51

Try rocking the car gently back and forth to free the wheels if you are stuck in the snow/ice. Forward/reverse alternatively.

JaneS Tue 21-Dec-10 16:59:03

Don't use the accelerator at all, you will just make the wheels spin instead of moving forward/backward. If you can put salt, cardboard or even at a pinch one of the mats in the car down under the wheel in the direction you want to drive, that'll make it better.

Take it really slow - good luck (whew that took ages to type!).

Rupreckt Tue 21-Dec-10 16:59:33

Hilarious that you are posting on mumsnet for advice! I would be wetting myself!

ChristmasTrolleyRage Tue 21-Dec-10 16:59:43

downhill

am getting upset now - 2 houses just closed their living room curtains on me. sad

front tyres against curb.

ChristmasTrolleyRage Tue 21-Dec-10 17:00:33

downhill

am getting upset now - 2 houses just closed their living room curtains on me. sad

MaureenMLove Tue 21-Dec-10 17:00:54

Would it not be better to call someone to come and help you or if you can't get out of the car, for fear of slidding, honk your horn, until someone comes out of their house?

With the best will in the world, I think it's hands on help you need, not Mumsnet virtual help!

FiveFeetTwo Tue 21-Dec-10 17:01:46

Calm.

Deep breaths.

Get out of your car for a minute and try to refocus if you can.

Slowly slowly slowly.

And then flick the finger as you drive off to the people who shut their curtains on you and didn't come to help. smile

MaureenMLove Tue 21-Dec-10 17:02:55

Sorry, that sounds really rude, it's not meant to. It's just that I'm thinking practically!

nickeldonkeybethlehemsinsight Tue 21-Dec-10 17:03:15

if you're against the curb, you need to reverse.

turn your wheels to move - it's the only way you'll get out.

ChristmasTrolleyRage Tue 21-Dec-10 17:03:16

downhill

LadyBiscuit Tue 21-Dec-10 17:03:43

You're facing downhill but want to go backwards? Let out the handbrake and get away from the kerb if you can (turn your wheel hard lock left/right). Then when car free from kerb, put floor mats behind wheels and try reversing. The worst possible thing you can do is put your foot hard on the throttle. Do you know if your car is front or rear drive?

brimfull Tue 21-Dec-10 17:04:25

don't bother with 1st gear , pull off in 2nd as less wheel spin

JaneS Tue 21-Dec-10 17:05:58

Ok, deep breaths.

Can you tell us if the problem is that you're iced in (can't move) or if it's that you're slipping when you try to move? Or what is happening?

Don't worry about people closing curtains, they're prob. just trying not to make you feel stared at.

backwardpossom Tue 21-Dec-10 17:06:20

If starting in 2nd does not work, try gently rocking. Or, if your wheels are just spinning, move your steering wheel left and right to try and move the snow from under your wheels before straightening up and trying again. Hope you're on the move soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now