Talk

Advanced search

To leave my cat outside in the cold

(50 Posts)
Ray81 Tue 21-Dec-10 15:05:53

I probably am but she had a great big crap in DD2s 7months room on her playmat of all things.

Has seriously pissed me off and i put her outside, she is sat by the door wanting to come in but i dont want to let her in.

Btw she has not had a litter tray since she was a kitten and has never crapped in the house before.

AIBU or should i let her in?

coccyx Tue 21-Dec-10 15:07:46

YABU. Awful person, it was an accident.

scurryfunge Tue 21-Dec-10 15:08:34

Are you sure the cat is not unwell?

It'll be fine for a while but I take you will be letting it back in sometime?

SantasMadMissy Tue 21-Dec-10 15:09:18

Can't be nice for a cat with all this snow all over the place.
I'd be angry too but would feel a bit mean

VallhalaLalalalalalalalaaaaaa Tue 21-Dec-10 15:09:43

YABU. She's smaller than your daughter. Would you leave your child out in this weather?

If you aren't prepared to care for the cat, rehome her responsibly through a reputable no kill rescue, don't "punish" her by locking her out in minus temperatures.

LetThereBeRock Tue 21-Dec-10 15:10:29

Of course you should let her in. She's a cat.She didn't mean to do it,and she may be ill,which may be why she did it.

Wafflepuss Tue 21-Dec-10 15:11:10

Let the cat in ffs, it's below 0 today. Perhaps if you gave the cat a litter tray it would use it instead of the floor. YABVU and cruel.

MsElleToe Tue 21-Dec-10 15:11:25

YABU - both to put the cat out and not to have a litter tray. The cat wouldnb't ahve crapped in the baby'sroom if you trained her to use a tray.

Inconvenient cleaning up cat crap isn't it? (Am ranting as have just spent 20 minutes doing that in the garden thanks to inconsiderate cat owners).

I'm sorry it is on your DD's playmat though, but tbh I'd throw it away and get another.

Punkatheart Tue 21-Dec-10 15:11:28

Not really very clever in this freezing weather - especially as she is a cosy house cat. She may also give up and wander off..then you would never forgive yourself.

Is she an old cat? Cat usually only poo outside their litters if they are deeply afraid or if there is something medically wrong....if it is the latter you need to get her checked out....it could be a stomach intolerance..to new food? Or she could just be getting older and need a new diet....

Imagine if you felt ill...had an accident and then someone shoved you outside.....especially if you might something wrong with your kidneys or bowels....

Punkatheart Tue 21-Dec-10 15:13:28

....just noticed the bit about her not having a litter tray (for some reason I missed it) ...the poor thing was probably too cold to go outside...all cats should have an indoor tray...

Bunbaker Tue 21-Dec-10 15:16:32

"YABU - both to put the cat out and not to have a litter tray. The cat wouldnb't have crapped in the baby'sroom if you trained her to use a tray."

Agree. Why do you have a cat if you don't want to be a responsible and caring owner?
Shoving a cat outside in this weather is selfish, cruel and inconsiderate. When I had cats I always had a clean litter tray for them, especially in this weather.

EauRudolph Tue 21-Dec-10 15:18:08

YABU. How is she meant to dig a hole in the ground in this weather? If you don't want a litter tray in the house is there a shed or garage it can go in? My cats have a litter tray in the garage because there's nowhere to put it in the house.

hairyfairylights Tue 21-Dec-10 15:18:26

Yabu. You shouldn't be allowed to keep a cF if you treat it like that!

QODrestyemerrykidneystones Tue 21-Dec-10 15:18:31

my cat doesnt have a litter trap - he goes out to the loo - dh dug him a path out and everything...

hairyfairylights Tue 21-Dec-10 15:18:55

Cat I mean

deaddei Tue 21-Dec-10 15:19:49

Our cat refuses to use a litter tray, but my god, she doesn't hang around outside in this weather.
In and out in two minutes.
Her favourite bush which she often sleeps under during the day, is hidden with about 8 inches of snow.
I wonder what she makes of all this white stuff.

Ray81 Tue 21-Dec-10 15:20:59

Ok have let her in, she was only out there for 10 mins or so and of course wouldnt have made her stay out for too long.

Just quite cross with her, it wasnt an 'ill' poo at all and she always asks to go out and had been out not long before this incident when she 'asked' as she always does.

I dont think she is ill but will keep an eye on her just to be sure.

I realy cant have a litter tray as have nowhere to put it where DD2 cant get to it as she is crawling around ALL over the place, and the cat hasnt needed one for many yrs. She is 7 btw, i dont think that is old in cat yrs is it?

No snow here either, we did have some and its gone now as it rained yesterday and is also not as cold about 2 degrees although i know thats pretty cold of course.

Shes curled up on the sofa next to me now, after a good rub up against me {to say sorry perhaps}

QODrestyemerrykidneystones Tue 21-Dec-10 15:21:29

is she an in and outie cat? If so, she doesn't need a tray!

SantasMadMissy Tue 21-Dec-10 15:23:55

My cat also has no litter tray as never used it. I let him out and back in no end of times.

He likes to think of himself as dog I'm sure. He even plays fetch! Yes really!

Ray81 Tue 21-Dec-10 15:27:29

she is an in and out cat, normally when i let her out she stays out for ages, even when its cold although not as long as in the summer when i wont see her all day.

Ray81 Tue 21-Dec-10 15:28:55

Santa my cat wouldnt play fetch unless fetch includes chasing mice and bringing them home for me smile have had a few over the yrs.

Islandlady Tue 21-Dec-10 15:32:44

QOD yeah we did the same for ours
OP yes you ABFU
cats dont soil their environment unless they are ill or desperate.
Poor thing please bring her in, she will be cold and bewildered left outside - she wont know whats she has done wrong and why she is being punished

SantasMadMissy Tue 21-Dec-10 15:33:06

Thankfully no mice!
Seriously though if you scrunch up a ball of paper he loves it! shock

DooinMeCleanin Tue 21-Dec-10 15:34:45

YABU. But you know that. My cat is bveing fed by someone else again. Either that or Dh is feeding the cat things he should not have. There are regular piles of cat shot around my house as he has IBS, normally controlled with Hills Sensitive cat food.

My cat likes the snow, but I don't allow him out overnight or if no-one will be here to let him back in. Our whole bathroom froze this morning. Loo water and all. God knows what would have happened to my poor cat if he had been out last night. We've only just managed to defrost the shower.

SummerRain Tue 21-Dec-10 15:34:56

my cats are being very naughty atm as it's too cold for them to go out. It would be cruel to punish them for it, they're ourdoor loving cats and are being punished enough by the weather.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: