Talk

Advanced search

To think that teenage fashion is a bit dull these days?

(10 Posts)
stnikkilarse1978 Mon 20-Dec-10 21:37:37

I don't have teenagers myself so I might be way off but I was just looking at some of the websites for the in demand stuff for teens (Hollister etc) and it all just seems so blah. I know there are emos but they seem to be in a minority. I remember dressing like a complete twat in my youth (the grunge era in the 90's) as did most people.

Where is the mad experimenting? The outfits that they will look back on in shame? grin

Earlybird Mon 20-Dec-10 21:47:07

I'm out of touch - what are teens wearing atm? What are the trends?

Earlybird Mon 20-Dec-10 21:48:19

Am also out of the country, so no way to observe for myself. smile

begonyabampot Mon 20-Dec-10 22:18:23

Don't like the fashions at the moment - dull and ugly. But, then it wasn't any better when I was young - only high heels were naff, thank god - loved my Docks!

JeezyPeeps Mon 20-Dec-10 22:22:19

It was much duller when I was young. Everyone, without exception, wore black.

stleger Mon 20-Dec-10 22:37:29

Up to last Christmas, dd1's 'going out' wardrobe consisted of tutus and corsets, teamed with satin shorts and occasionally wings, plus very high heels. There is a selection of mix and match colours in her wardrobe. She is 17, so I suppose she will look back and shudder? DD2 wears mostly tshirts over each other and skinny jeans (female Jedward!), but occasionally wears very tiny skirts and tops. She is 14. She wears a St Trinians style school uniform, when she can get away with it.

begonyabampot Mon 20-Dec-10 22:38:53

stleger - at least you can't say her fashion is 'dull'!

stleger Mon 20-Dec-10 22:46:18

No, not dull - but I'm sure other mothers were horrified at her! But the corset and shorts combo prevents 'roving hands' better than demure floaty outfits, she claimed grin.

webwiz Mon 20-Dec-10 22:49:21

In the room with me is DD1(19) wearing purple jeans, skull hoodie and long pink hair and DD2(17) wearing some sort of skin tight green jodhpur effect trousers, white t shirt with a green check shirt over it and accompanied by a red scarf thing round her neck and an eclectic array of wristbands from gigs she's been to.

Neither of them look "dull" and they both keep saying "Mum, why are you looking at me" as I'm typing this. smile

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 20-Dec-10 23:00:32

Christ I looked like a horror.

Old men's three piece pinstripe suits from Sue Ryder, worn with cricket jumpers and white superga daps.

Great big long skirts trailing on the floor worn with velvet blazers and cloche hats.

Black flare cords, stripe jumpers like Dennis the menace.

Blood red lipstick and burgundy nail polish YEARS before Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction.

DD wears Jack Wills and Hollister and looks very nice compared to my hideous winona ryder in Beetlejuice look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now