Talk

Advanced search

to think sometimes people should think before stating the blummin' obvious?!

(15 Posts)
MadreInglese Mon 20-Dec-10 13:42:16

in the middle of my 20 minute dinosaur-car de-icing workout this morning a lady trundled past who I recognised as local and said hello so I said hello back

she stopped at my car "oh the joys of motoring, eh?"

me: "yes" <gritted teeth smile> <trying to hack ice of my car with my icepick scraper>

lady: "couldn't you just pour some warm water over your car?"

me: <smile> "no, it's too cold, it would crack the glass or just freeze over straight away"

lady: "couldn't you put something like a blanket over the windscreen on a night so you don't need to do that?"

me: "yes you could but we've done that before and it got pinched" <more gritted teeth smiling> <now using two hands to try and get throught the ice>

lady: "couldn't you get some of that de-ice spray"

me: "yes you could but I don't really like using chemicals if I can help it" <smile fading> <arms aching>

lady: "you could hold a lighter near the ice, that might melt it"

me: <speechless "hmm" noise and clenched teeth grin>

what kind of chit chat is that? I'd rather have talked about the weather!

<grumble grumble>

bupcakesandcunting Mon 20-Dec-10 13:43:08

I would have told her to get scraping or move on.

JustShaggingForNow Mon 20-Dec-10 13:43:57

Oh so helpful!!!

MadreInglese Mon 20-Dec-10 13:44:10

lol bupcakes

VinegarTinselTits Mon 20-Dec-10 13:49:44

can i state the obvious too

why didnt you just switch your engine of for a few minutes and let it warm up? grin

MadreInglese Mon 20-Dec-10 13:50:47

engine was on for 10 mins already VT, but it's that bloody cold the ice wasn't budging!

MadreInglese Mon 20-Dec-10 13:51:13

plus my poor old car takes a wee while to heat up

sleighBELLasringing Mon 20-Dec-10 13:52:06

grin Vinny!! That is what I did for DH this morning whilst he was getting ready for work - makes much more sense!

Summerbird73 Mon 20-Dec-10 13:52:58

my neighbour does that too - stupid bint that she is!

i agree with bupcakes - i would have given her an ice scraper and told her to be bloody helpful grin

sleighBELLasringing Mon 20-Dec-10 13:53:30

At least you had your car to de-ice Madre, DH is having to use mine all this week whilst his is in the garage being repaired after last weeks accident on the motorway...

thefurryone Mon 20-Dec-10 13:54:24

Sounds annoying but perhaps she doesn't have anyone to speak to at home and accosting people on the street is her only chance for a bit of human interaction, and she was just trying to be helpful.

CoronaAndLime Mon 20-Dec-10 13:57:21

You should walk instead.

Polution from cars is prob why we are entering the next ice age.

MadreInglese Mon 20-Dec-10 13:57:24

I'm sure she is a bit lonely, which is why I was trying to be polite and still talk to her, didn't tell her to feck off now, did I? wink

MadreInglese Mon 20-Dec-10 13:58:17

you're right Corona

actually it's mostly downhill to work, I could have sledged there

CoronaAndLime Mon 20-Dec-10 14:01:09

grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: