Advanced search

to not want to travel from manchester to dorset on wednesday?

(35 Posts)
carocaro Sun 19-Dec-10 23:49:36

The four of us in a ten year old golf, during the day, a normal four hour journey, how long will it take us? M6 and M5 in these weather conditions; I am really worried, DH says not to be, but beleive me we won't be going if it's too bad.

But I don't want to be stuck in a car forever and ever and risk driving and bad roads.

Am I being OTT or sensible?

Blu Sun 19-Dec-10 23:57:08

See what it is actually like on Wednesday, and check BBC Travel news for the whole route.

It may be FINE.

If not, deploy common sense.

Imisssleeping Mon 20-Dec-10 08:40:31

Sounds like a nightmare to me, doubt if i'd risk it.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 20-Dec-10 08:43:46

See what it is like nearer the time. I am in Dorset and it has just started snowing again onto a layer of icy snow. We're close to a main road and can't hear any cars.

arentfanny Mon 20-Dec-10 08:45:24

We are in Dorset to, roads not brilliant but then we aren't on any main ones.

BikeRunSki Mon 20-Dec-10 08:46:48

I'm with you Caro - almost literally. We should be travelling from Hudersfield to Somerset/Dorset border on Friday. We have a 6 month old Octavia 4x4 but we also have a 2 year old. We will be staying at home and having beans on toast for Christmas lunch if necessary.

marialuisa Mon 20-Dec-10 08:52:43

I went down part of the M5 for a mad trip to South Wales from Derbyshire yesterday and it was scary. I'd looked at the traffic camera feed online before and thought it might be okayish but opted to leave DD at home with DH.

It was much worse coming back (around 3pm) as the sun was out so lots of idiots speeding along the outer "lane" ans having to break/pull in sharply when they saw it was clogged with snow a bit further along. Also hard to pull in to clear windscreens etc. as hard shoulder thick with snow in parts-saw people pull over and then get stuck.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 20-Dec-10 10:32:14

Snowing very heavily near Dorset/Hampshire border with no sign of it stopping. Absolutely silent out there at the moment.

deaddei Mon 20-Dec-10 10:44:52

Just be sensible- is it worth it.
We should be driving to Leeds from London today , coming home Weds.
We've decided not to go- freezing fog on M1, bitterly's a shame we won't be seeing db but I am not getting stuck on motorway with dh saying "I knew it".
Not worth the risk.

happyharry Mon 20-Dec-10 11:09:05

I have a similar problem. Do I drive from North Herts to Sussex on Wednesday? Really want to go but will only go if weather improves.

deaddei Mon 20-Dec-10 11:12:42

So difficult isn't it.
I have this whole week of ...nothing...ahead of me.

bluesheep Mon 20-Dec-10 11:13:18

It's lashing it down with rain where I am in Dorset now, which will be an utter nightmare when it freezes tonight.

I'd wait until tomorrow and check the forecast before making a decision.

MissAnneElk Mon 20-Dec-10 11:20:04

I must be near wynken. Has snowed very heavily this morning and has scuppered my plans for today. All of which involved driving. Keep an eye on the forecast but if I were you I'd be considering alternative plans.

Bramshott Mon 20-Dec-10 11:27:46

You can't decide today - only Wed morning really.

arentfanny Mon 20-Dec-10 11:29:38

Raining hard here aswell.

classydiva Mon 20-Dec-10 11:32:27

Herts to Sussex isn't really that far, just keep an eye on the M25! You could always take the A3.

Hampshire main roads are fine, it's the side roads that are a PITA.

MumsieNonna Mon 20-Dec-10 11:37:38

I am in East Sussex. Message me on Wednesday morning and I will give you an update although the snow varies from place to place. It's the ice that is the problem. A21 is open and B roads have been gritted this morning. But some country lanes with hills are still proving a problem even for 4x4s. Take a spade, torch, blankets, tow rope and a flask of hot tea.

duckyfuzz Mon 20-Dec-10 11:50:43

We're on way from Durham to Warks due to return from Wilts on weds, we have so much emergency kit in boot we barely managed to fit bags in! we have 2 7yos in car, dses, dvds, chocolate... fully anticipating turning back.

suwoo Mon 20-Dec-10 11:57:15

Me, DH, 7 year old, 3 year old and 5 month old did Manchester to (supposedly) Dover last Christmas in the same weather. It was one of the worst, actually probably the worst day of my life. We had to suspend the drive in Dagenham and tried 5 hotels before we found one at 11pm, 11 hours after we had set off.

We are flying this year (parents in France) so we only have to get to E Midlands.

Please only go if its absolutely esssential.

carocaro Mon 20-Dec-10 11:57:43

Thanks, we are due to be heading to Sherborne off the M5 at Taunton on to the A358 - so if any of you are near there please keep me posted!

We are going to hang fire till Wens AM, but at present my gut says 'no go' not worth the risk, not just accident potential but being stuck for hours in a car with bored children.

thx1138 Mon 20-Dec-10 11:58:40

I am planning to drive from West Yorkshire to West Sussex on Thursday morning. It's mostly motorway and major A roads between where I am and where I am going so I feel confident that, barring a massive snow fall or heavy, heavy fog on the day, it should be OK if I take it easy.

Check the weather forecast on the day and also keep an eye on the road reports to check for incidents - the Highways Agency, the AA or the BBC road watch sites are good.

HeavenForfend Mon 20-Dec-10 11:58:49

I have a friend in Sherborne - I'll post here on Weds morning re. how snowy it still is smile.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 20-Dec-10 12:03:31

It has finally stopped snowing here but we now have a fair bit of snow to contend with.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 20-Dec-10 12:06:31

Play it by ear and see what the weather does tomorrow. I think the best travel plans are to be flexible and risk nothing.

happyharry Mon 20-Dec-10 12:07:40

Thank you Mumsie. I will be driving to Eastbourne. Think I normally end up driving through Tunbridge Wells. Will try and PM you. Although not sure if I have facility to do that. I am still keen to go but DH is doing all he can to put me off. It was similar last year but it was fine in the end.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: