Talk

Advanced search

to insist DH takes a few extra items to work with him tomorrow

(36 Posts)
Babieseverywhere Sun 19-Dec-10 19:06:22

My DH is laughing at me, as I have handed him a bag with a few extra items for his journey to work tomorrow.

Bear in mind he is travelling into the next county and his drive takes 40 minutes on a good weather day.

All I have packed is :-

Bottle of drinking water
Bootle of energy drink
Two Apples and 5 flapjack breakfast bars.
Bottle of water for car window-screen thingy
Extra screen wash
Shovel
Blanket
First aid kit plus paracetamol
Thermal flask (for him to fill with hot water before he leave the house)
Little containers of dried milk/sugar and coffee with spoons
Safety Travel mug with lid.

He thinks I am being OTT, I say better you have it and don't need it. I think it is just enough stuff to make a few hour wait go quicker if he did get stuck in the snow travelling tomorrow.

AIBU

Babieseverywhere Sun 19-Dec-10 19:06:52

Bottle not Bootle, LOL

Katey1010 Sun 19-Dec-10 19:08:01

I live in Canada and people keep this kind of stuff in their car ALL the time. YANBU.

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Sun 19-Dec-10 19:08:01

I think it is wise, if snow is bad or is forecast and he HAS to try to travel.

I think you're supposed to pack some chocolate too.

FancyALittle Sun 19-Dec-10 19:08:33

Nope, just properly prepared. Just packed a similar tub for us to take on a trip next week (incl. blankets, wellies, hats and extra jumpers).

moondog Sun 19-Dec-10 19:08:44

Very sensible.
I'd give him more food and some blankets and make sure he has walking boots.

norfolkBRONZEturkey Sun 19-Dec-10 19:11:27

Very sensible
how about a torch though there should always be one in the boot

KenDoddsDadsDogEatsTinsel Sun 19-Dec-10 19:13:12

Good idea! I must do the same.

Babieseverywhere Sun 19-Dec-10 19:14:06

Damm, knew I had forgotten something a torch ! I'll get it now and I have some children's chocolate in the cupboard (bet that won't come home regardless how the drive is)

Chatelaine Sun 19-Dec-10 19:23:47

Very sensible as has been said. You never know, he might be in the position to do someone a really good turn, being so well prepared.

TitianTinselTemptress Sun 19-Dec-10 19:32:11

You are lovely, he should be grateful. Only one other thing he might need - my mum was stuck on the M4/M25 on Sat for several hours and had to wee in an offcut plastic milk bottle!

Actuallawyer Sun 19-Dec-10 19:36:07

YANBU, you're being considerate and caring.

Megletitsnow Sun 19-Dec-10 19:38:06

yanbu. Exactly as you say, better to have it and don't need it!

TheChewyToffeeMum Sun 19-Dec-10 19:39:31

YANBU My DH has a similar length drive and he routinely carries most of those things in winter. He also takes a sleeping bag.

ShanahansRevenge Sun 19-Dec-10 19:40:29

YANBU....not at all! I think you are more than sensible.

Titan! blush for your poor Mum! Mine would FAINT if she had to do that! She's like Mrs Bucket (Bouquet).

JeezyPeeps Sun 19-Dec-10 19:40:43

What about towels? Handy for putting under the tyres for traction if he gets stuck?

YANBU

WidowWadman Sun 19-Dec-10 19:41:19

Since the first bout of bad weather I keep my four season sleeping bag in the car, just in case

thefurryone Sun 19-Dec-10 19:41:44

YANBU I don't think he'd be laughing if actually found himself in need of these items smile.

I'm sure the only reason he's laughing is that he does the journey every day and it's normally incredibly uneventful.

Ladyofthehousespeaking Sun 19-Dec-10 19:42:18

Aw I think that is very very sweet!

johnnycomelurky Sun 19-Dec-10 19:43:19

Oh and a candle and matches - if you're stuck for awhile it works as both light and a heat source (seriously).

AliBellandthe40jingles Sun 19-Dec-10 19:46:40

I would add walking boots, waterproof gloves and a hat.

We have snow chains, shovel, extra coats, a blanket and water in the car at all times and then take extra things depending on how far away we are going.

Babieseverywhere Sun 19-Dec-10 19:47:35

blush Thanks for the nice comments.

I told DH that it was important for me to know he had these things too hand and it upset me that he was taking the piss.

He has now got with the plan and packed heavy boots, jumper, coat and other winter gear.

I did suggest an empty container but he laughed. He has couple of water bottles so he use one of those at a pinch.

He is using my car atm (his brakes need work), I think I'll pack a 'mum and children' version (raisons and nappies) of his bag when/if I get the car back.

twoistwiceasmerry Sun 19-Dec-10 19:49:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

beanandspud Sun 19-Dec-10 20:22:05

YANBU at all - I wish someone would do that for me. Let's hope he doesn't need it.

dribbleface Sun 19-Dec-10 20:27:14

YANBU - i had this conversation with DH last night after he insisted i was being a hysterical woman and went off out without it. He then got stuck for 4 hours, so didn't need it really but i think he realised i was talking sense!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: