Talk

Advanced search

to be a bit annoyed at this woman -slight rant

(24 Posts)
MotherofHobbit Sun 19-Dec-10 18:26:47

My 6 mo DS has been ill for the last few days and this morning broke out in red spots.

We managed to get hold of the out of hours service covering our area and spoke to the GP who told us to bring him in immediately to be checked for meningitis (he got the all clear, phew!).

The waiting room was very busy but the receptionist told me we'd been given 'priority' queuing so wouldn't have to wait long.
A woman began to very loudly and pointedly complain about people being given preferential treatment just because they have children and shouldn't be allowed to jump the queue.
I wasn't the only one given dirty looks though, she also complained at another mother with a baby because 'I might not 'supposedly' have meningitis but I'm also sick' (The mother ignored her)

A father carrying a very droopy toddler was given an eye roll and a big sigh when his name was called.

Okay, I do get that it must be enormously frustrating to have to wait when you're ill but, good grief, surely everyone understands that a child with a potentially serious illness needs to get priority?

I'm also not my best when sick so shouldn't be such a judgeypants but I had to listen to this woman complain at the top of her voice for half an hour while we waited, on top of worrying about DS.

Now I'm wondering if I was being unreasonable in being so annoyed. Maybe she was just letting off steam.

SummerRain Sun 19-Dec-10 18:28:28

She sounds like a cow ... YANBU!

belgo Sun 19-Dec-10 18:29:10

She obviously wasn't that ill if she could complain so loudly.

JamieLeeCurtis Sun 19-Dec-10 18:29:55

Very annoying, but people who are hanging around waiting rooms on a Sunday are generally not well in some way. Possibly mentally unwell

IAmReallyFabNow Sun 19-Dec-10 18:30:01

YANBU.

When my cat ate something poisonous I rushed her to the vet and no one minded at all when the receptionist asked if I could go straight through with her.

I hope your baby is fine now.

BeerTricksPotter Sun 19-Dec-10 18:30:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlistairSim Sun 19-Dec-10 18:30:33

If she had enough energy to complain so much, she can't have been really unwell.

YANBU.

Glad your little one is ok, OP.

HeathcliffMoorland Sun 19-Dec-10 18:30:45

YANBU.

Firawla Sun 19-Dec-10 18:31:30

yanbu, those kind of people are annoying but best just ignored really.

JeezyPeeps Sun 19-Dec-10 18:32:13

Bloody Hell! A) She obviously doesn't know how serious meningitis is and
B) She obviously doesn't realise that she doesn't want to be in contact with someone that might potentially have it!

YA SO!!! NBU

Goblinchild Sun 19-Dec-10 18:33:01

What a pity that no one else in the waiting room argued she was wrong at the time.

JamieLeeCurtis Sun 19-Dec-10 18:34:58

I do agree that I would have said something to her at the time (unless she seemed seriously scary). I find that if I do this I don't end up feeling so angry later.

LovestheChaos Sun 19-Dec-10 18:38:46

If she is well enough to complain like that then she ain't that sick.

Children can go downhill very very quickly. Much more quickly than adults. A child with menigitis can go from "seeming a bit poorly" to near death in a matter of minutes.

That woman was stupid. YANBU. I would have slapped her.

Bloodymary Sun 19-Dec-10 18:39:07

Totally agree with the above!
Sorry that you had to endure that whilst worying about your DC.

ShanahansRevenge Sun 19-Dec-10 18:42:24

Golly what a cow she sounds! Of COURSE children are given preference...because they're weaker!

I wish I had been there to answer back for you.

I would have said "You look fine and sturdy you baggage! It would take a juggernaut to down you!"

Hope your little one is feeling better.

MsFC Sun 19-Dec-10 18:45:59

And also, if it had been potentially contagious I would MUCH rather you were in and out. YANBU xx

MrsDrOwenHunt Sun 19-Dec-10 18:46:52

did u say i am sorry madame obviously being as ugly as fuck is life threatning to you but you have been ugly all your life so why worry now?

humanoctopus Sun 19-Dec-10 18:47:07

Maybe she was there because of mental health problems?

Whenever I brought a friend to the doc when she was mentally unwell, she would moan and groan about those waiting around her. It was very embarrassing for me, and upsetting to those around us.

Unfortunately, you can't always tell what's wrong with people, particularly if its mental health.

Hope your lo is ok now? They really worry the life out of us at times!

thumbplumpuddingwitch Sun 19-Dec-10 18:50:43

I used to know a woman who seemed to be lacking the filter part of her cerebellum that stops people voicing aloud their every thought. I mean, this woman just talked non-stop - inconsequential rubbish a lot of the time. Anything that came into her mind came out of her mouth.

So - this woman you saw might have had that problem, or she might have just been bloody rude and selfish!

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Sun 19-Dec-10 18:51:55

she was probably just in a lot of pain, forget it.

fulltimeworkingmum Sun 19-Dec-10 18:53:40

Silly bint has either never had children and hence is not aware of the anxiety that a sick child causes or is so old that she has forgotten. Well done for your restraint - not sure I would have been reserved.

macdoodle Sun 19-Dec-10 19:02:30

YANBU!
I worked a busy out of hours shift on saturday, I tried to see those droopy ill looking toddlers, and sick babies first, I'm sorry they are a priority over an able bodied able who is capable of complaining loudly!
Just ignore, hope your baby is ok now!

RevoltingPeasant Sun 19-Dec-10 19:05:08

YANBU, obv. If she was that ill she should've been in A&E, that's what it's there for.

Now, sitting in A&E bleeding from the face after a traffic accident and watching others get waved in before you, that's frustrating. I still kept my mouth shut, though!

<polishes halo>

pinguwings Sun 19-Dec-10 19:14:28

Obviously yanbu.

However, for some people complaining and being miserable is a learnt way of life. We all just have to breathe, smile and move on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: