Talk

Advanced search

Was this a resonable behaviour?

(57 Posts)
selfrespect01 Sun 19-Dec-10 15:52:21

A few weeks before my wedding my mother-in-law bought a tie for my husband's tuxedo that he selected on the catalogue of the shop she knows. After bringing it to my husband she tied the tie for him when my husband was trying it on.

Is this normal the mum ties her son's tie in front of his fiancee? I was just watching it at that time as I didnt know how to tie a men's tie but would you be upset if your future mother-in-law did it without asking you?

TrillianAstra Sun 19-Dec-10 15:53:55

So your MIL bought a tie for your DH, and tied it for him?

Doesn't sound particularly unusual to me.

thisisyesterday Sun 19-Dec-10 15:54:04

lol yes yabvu!

actually, your husband could have tied his own tie couln't he

but no.. why should she ask your permission? he isn't yours any more htan he is hers. she doesn't have to ask your permission to help her own son do something

and as you don't even know how to tie one anyway it's surely a moot point?

bruffin Sun 19-Dec-10 15:54:08

No, why on earth would you be upset, it's his mother not another woman!

Gotabookaboutit Sun 19-Dec-10 15:54:52

Bridzilla alert lol

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Sun 19-Dec-10 15:55:07

without asking you confused - why would she need to consult you over tying his tie for him?? really? Now , if it was an ex of his, that would be a different thing......

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Sun 19-Dec-10 15:55:46

i thought i was being quick in replying!

pagwatch Sun 19-Dec-10 15:56:23

i would be mortified if my mil turmed to me and asked permission to do anything at all involving my DH. I don't own him
why would she need to ask my permission to touch her son?

but I would be pretty embaressed if my dh did not tie his own tie. in the scenario you describe I would expect dh to laugh and say 'i think i can manage ma'

EvilTwinsAteRudolph Sun 19-Dec-10 15:56:46

YABU. And a bit odd.

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Sun 19-Dec-10 15:57:11

as long as she didn't fasten his flies for him......

jollyoldstnickschick Sun 19-Dec-10 15:57:28

JESUS - his Mother grew him and made this man the man you want to marry!!!.

You may well be the woman hes chosen to spend his life with but mums are important to you know.

Thank God your not marrying my ds grin.

Laquitar Sun 19-Dec-10 16:02:12

Imagine in the future when she gives sugar to your baby 'without asking first' grin

KatieMiddleton Sun 19-Dec-10 16:02:34

You are quite right. You should have received a consent form in good time for you to seek proper legal counsell and only on the advice of a legal professional should you have allowed the tie tying to have occured.

Sadly your failure to use the proper process has now given you future MIL untold powers. She is now your nemisis. Your only course of action is to have her destroyed.

TheHoneydragonsInTheIvy Sun 19-Dec-10 16:03:58

This is not abnormal behaviour, doing a tie is hardly intimate. On the odd occasion we have being going somewhere particularly eventful and I have sorted my dh's tie I have always successful managed to not dissolve in to a crazed sexual frenzy.

Unless I am missing something else here UABU smile

jollyoldstnickschick Sun 19-Dec-10 16:04:21

Dis she sit on your sofa too shock.

VallhalaLalalalalalalalaaaaaa Sun 19-Dec-10 16:05:16

By Christ if you already feel that she should ^*ask* you before she assists her own son then God help the poor woman when you're married to him! hmm

Why on earth would anyone be upset by this? [gonfused]

TheHoneydragonsInTheIvy Sun 19-Dec-10 16:05:32

whoops - successfully

grin Katie

arentfanny Sun 19-Dec-10 16:05:52

Odd, very odd, you not your MIL.

VallhalaLalalalalalalalaaaaaa Sun 19-Dec-10 16:06:26

Oh rollocks, shall we try confused instead?! confused

ShanahansRevenge Sun 19-Dec-10 16:08:43

God help the OPs DH if he ever eats anything the MIL cooks!

Seriosuly OP...can you imagine it?

MIL: May I tie your future husband's tie for him?

YOU: How dare you! Of coure not! But thank you for asking.

curlymama Sun 19-Dec-10 16:10:12

I'm am possibly the most anti MIL person I know, I can't stand mine and haven't spoken to her since my wedding a year and a half ago. And I pretty much always come down on the side of any DIL over any MIL on the threads on here.

But even I think you are being unreasonable, and slightly wierd.

PublicHair Sun 19-Dec-10 16:10:53

katie middleton,i salute you wink

Floopy21 Sun 19-Dec-10 16:12:27

YABU and weird.

FunkySnowSkeleton Sun 19-Dec-10 16:12:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Sun 19-Dec-10 16:14:57

is it the tie? did you not like it? had you wanted to help him choose one? did he discard one you had lovingly knitted him for one his darling mummy wummy bought?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: