Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off with my in laws & mum

(14 Posts)
jinglebelly Sun 19-Dec-10 12:25:44

I gave birth to DS3 just over a week ago grin My MIL & her husband live 3 hours away and although promised they would come & see us as soon as he was born they haven't even set a date. They go out every w/e and get very drunk so do not want to forfeit this in order to meet DS3. FIL & his wife live 2 hrs away and we have seen them once in a year, they planned to come and meet DS3 today but have phoned and cancelled and made no further plans. Sister in law hasn't even called or texted DH to say congratulations and was staying with a friend 10 mins from us this w/e and didn't call in to see us or let us know they were nearby. My mum lives 10 mins away, is fairly young and doesn't work and has been to see us once. I wouldn't mind so much but I have a broken foot, DH has been really ill & DD is on school holidays so it has been very hectic here. Am I expecting too much from our family?

AnnOnimous Sun 19-Dec-10 12:27:00

You are quite right to be disappointed, but enjoy the time with your own wee family at the moment, and congratulations on the birth of DS3,

I hope, foto apart, you are feeling well.

AnnOnimous Sun 19-Dec-10 12:27:16

foot, not foto lol

nbee84 Sun 19-Dec-10 12:29:07

Counter this with the threads from some Mums saying AIBU not to want any visitors for the first 2 weeks grin

chitchatinsantasear Sun 19-Dec-10 12:32:52

YANBU - but at least you've got some ammunition to help you say no the next time they want some help/a visit (or pretty much anything!).

HighFibreDiet Sun 19-Dec-10 12:36:52

To be honest, I could have done without my inlaws being around when my kids were born - they needed more looking after than the baby did! But it was great having my mum round as she really helped out. I can understand you feeling disappointed but it has been awful weather, and maybe it's best not to expect too much?

jinglebelly Sun 19-Dec-10 13:33:08

I know weather has been bad but we've had no snow where we are or where MIL is...

diddl Sun 19-Dec-10 14:03:53

I´m surprised that your mum hasn´t benn round every day moresad

Three hours journey each way is quite a lot in one day, so not quite surprised about that.

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Sun 19-Dec-10 14:17:56

They probably feel with it being your third that you have things pretty much under control?

I dunno.

Congrats anyway.

And just shrug it off. People help as much or as little as they want to and there's fuck all you can do about it!

JeezyPeeps Sun 19-Dec-10 14:26:39

How much snow is there near you? it might not be because they don't want to, but because the roads are treacherous.

jinglebelly Sun 19-Dec-10 16:16:11

No snow, had a dusting yesterday morning but that's it.. None down mil's way either

monkeyflippers Sun 19-Dec-10 17:26:28

Ah that's sad. Feel bad for you! When my second was born my dad didnt visit for a week because he was at work (but still . . . ) and ILs didn't come to visit baby in the hospital which would have been handy as my 2yo was there being crazy and I could of done with their help. They actually didn't even want to look after 2yo while I was giving birth . . . thanks very much!

jinglebelly Sun 19-Dec-10 20:06:24

I find it really hard to understand confused

GeraldineAubergine Sun 19-Dec-10 21:18:46

Congratulations! If it makes you feel any better my mil has never seen ds and he's ten months old. I don't get it either but sorry for you, it's a shame

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: