Talk

Advanced search

Or is my friend?

(29 Posts)
GeraldineAubergine Sat 18-Dec-10 20:00:15

Was supposed to have friend round for tea today, had everything ready for ham in cola. The snow started but busses were running still. Friend said she couldn't come so dp offered to get her a taxi (and pay) so we could see her before Xmas. She couldn't get a cab and claimed no busses but would keep trying. I said fine just let me know. Prepared meal no sign of friend. She wouldn't answer phone or respond to msg's and i was worried she had become stranded.finally three hours late after i left several worried messages said she wasn't coming. Dp annoyed and thought she was rude so told her so, I feel guilty because now we have all fallen out before Xmas dp says she deserves it (has done things like this a lot). Aibu? Is she? Is he?

BitOfFun Sat 18-Dec-10 20:02:24

She has been a bit rude, but I suppose she had decided she couldn't face the cold, and felt you were badgering her and wouldn't take no for an answer- hence her rude avoidance techniques.

You were all being a bit unreasonable really.

tomhardyismydh Sat 18-Dec-10 20:07:39

YANBU at all she should have been upfront and said thanks but no thanks sorry to let you down yada yada, no need to ignore you.

I has similar thing in the summer and F just didnt show I got hold of her after I had cooked and she had some excusse that was not even acceptable for a no show with out letting me know IMHO.

I did as your dh and told her that I was disapointed as I had made alot of effort and I have not heard from her since. I couldnt care less friends like this arent worth it.

so you may run the risk of her being offended and never talking to you agian.

arentfanny Sat 18-Dec-10 20:10:23

She did say she couldn't come, you should have accepted that and stopped badgering her.

brokeoven Sat 18-Dec-10 20:13:30

well, it isnt a problem anymore is it...because you are no longer friends.

BTW how gorgeous is ham in coke....i do it in my slow cooker and its to die for. You have got the whole thing to yourself now mmmmmmmmmm

ScarlettWalking Sat 18-Dec-10 20:14:05

I think you should have accepted when she said she couldn't come which she actually did tell you. Why on earth did you keep badgering her to come?

Have you seen the weather at the moment? - I don't blame her for not wanting to travel.
YABU

SantasENormaSnob Sat 18-Dec-10 20:16:34

Bit of both imo.

She said she couldn't travel and you kept pushing the issue.

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Sat 18-Dec-10 20:19:38

yABU

you cooked a meal knowing she had already said she most likely wasn't coming.

she should have let you know for sure that she wasn;t coming but tbh it sounds like you badgered her. maybe she was trying to get transport that whole time and didn't have a definite answer to give you so didn't answer.

GeraldineAubergine Sat 18-Dec-10 20:30:37

It does seem from my op that I badgered her but in fact she phoned us after saying she couldn't come saying she really wanted to, which is when dp offered to get a cab. As far as I knew she was still coming or had set off, that's why I badgered her I was worried she was stranded or something. Thanks for the responses, I was being a pain but it was only because I was worried. I think the onus is on me to apologise. Awbu.

Booandpops Sat 18-Dec-10 20:31:31

How do u cook ham in coke? Ta

muddleduck Sat 18-Dec-10 20:33:00

A misunderstanding.

No need to stress

BitOfFun Sat 18-Dec-10 20:34:23

Yes, I would like the ham in coke recipe too please grin

GeraldineAubergine Sat 18-Dec-10 20:35:06

Simmer 2kg gammon in 2l coke with an onion for 2hrs ish. Take out of liquid remove skin, score fat and stud with cloves. Put 1tbsp treacle over fat then pat with 2tsps mustard powder and 2tbs of Demerara sugar. Roast at 240 degrees for 15 mins.

ChippingIn Sat 18-Dec-10 20:35:16

I think it was rude of her not to keep in touch with you and let you know what was happening - or not happening. It is horrible that she allowed you to worry about her when she was sat somewhere warm & comfy ignoring your messages.

cumbria81 Sat 18-Dec-10 20:36:30

Sorry, but - ham in coke?

As in COKE?!

Hmmm....

brokeoven Sat 18-Dec-10 20:37:40

or just empty a full 2L bottle of full fat coke into the slow cooker over the ham and leave all day. put it on low

lusssshhhhh

BitOfFun Sat 18-Dec-10 20:39:24

Does the acid tenderise it or something? I am intrigued...

SixtyFootDoll Sat 18-Dec-10 20:40:08

oh i lurve ham in coke, its a Nigella recipe here

brokeoven Sat 18-Dec-10 20:45:03

dunno what it does but it tastes gorgeous. Thing is you get a couple of meals out of it as well. plus we get butties the next day.

nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Sat 18-Dec-10 20:46:53

A misunderstanding that has been blown out of proportion thanks to your DH (although I am confused as to why him telling her she was rude means you have fallen out - can't you just make it clear that you don't have a problem with the situation?)

Depending on where you are, travelling is foolish in the extreme. Conditions deteriorate very quickly so you should have just accepted her initial regret.

Also I have found that since the snow my phone has been hopeless - text messages and voicemails take ages to come through, calls cannot be connected etc and we are in Surrey. Hardly the worst effected area.

trixie123 Sat 18-Dec-10 21:03:25

make sure you use full fat coke not diet as you need the sugar to caramelise. Also, you csn do it with cider or apple juice - very christmassy!

muddleduck Sat 18-Dec-10 21:25:53

I mocked my mum for years for cooking her ham with coke. Was very embarrassed to find out how yummy it is.

GeraldineAubergine Sat 18-Dec-10 21:27:03

It's a shame she isn't talking to me now so won't get to try it. It was nice

Booandpops Sat 18-Dec-10 22:27:16

I'm gonna try that. Thanx

A1980 Sun 19-Dec-10 00:54:34

She shouldn't have left it 3 hours before letting you know for sure what her plans were.

I have a friend who lives in an area that is subject to heavy snow and she tells me straight up if she needs to cancel, doesn't want to get stranded, etc. No if's no buts, she tells me she isn't coming and that's fine.What she wouldn't do is tell me she's gonig to keep trying and then not bother to let me know or answer my calls.

May have been a bit much for DP to call her rude though.

I'm going to make ham in cola now grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: