Talk

Advanced search

To have dodgy 'gift' alcoholic beverages I don't ever want to drink?

(18 Posts)
Mumcentreplus Sat 18-Dec-10 17:03:09

1 Bottle of 'Cask Wine' from Trinidad

1 bottle of 'Zivana' from Cyprus

both nasty..imo

Seems a waste...

What the hell should I do with the buggers??

Does anyone else have this sufferation?...wanna swap? grin

MardyQuickFollowThatStar Sat 18-Dec-10 17:06:06

Oh I hate that. I have an uncle and aunt who always buy "novelty" alcohol as a present - usually sweet foul stuff with some fruit in it. I couldn't even tempt my friends who will drink ANYTHING to use it up. It went down the drain. Just buy me a bottle of decent gin or vodka or anything non-novelty please.

SeaTrek Sat 18-Dec-10 17:10:49

Open them. Pour contents down the drain. Rinse and recycle. Think about them no more.wink

Mumcentreplus Sat 18-Dec-10 17:12:27

grin..<<feels guilty>>

orangepoo Sat 18-Dec-10 17:14:02

SeaTrek is quite right - put down drain & recycle & forget about. Have had to do it myself.

Don't feel guilty - you have done the most environmentally friendly thing possible in the situation you have been landed with.

TrillianAstra Sat 18-Dec-10 17:16:16

Are you being unreasonable to have them?

Well, if they were gifts how could you avoid it?

Or are you asking if you are being unreasonable to not drink them?

KalokiMallow Sat 18-Dec-10 17:16:22

My nan had a tendency to give gifts that she'd won in raffles etc. I ended up with a large bottle of Advocaat (which I hate), and dad (who has coeliacs disease) got something he couldn't have drunk anyway.

Think both bottles are still sat in a cupboard at my parents house.

mountainmonkey Sat 18-Dec-10 17:17:06

Next time you go to a house party take them and leave on a table. There's always somebody who will think "woohoo! free booze!"

I did this with a bottle of JD. I like whiskey but am a bit of a snob about bourbon.

TrillianAstra Sat 18-Dec-10 17:18:53

Have you tasted them? They might surprise you...

Mumcentreplus Sat 18-Dec-10 17:20:20

Trilli..surely I should have drunk them or stylishly given them away by now! grin..

monkey I like your style wink

Mumcentreplus Sat 18-Dec-10 17:21:30

I have tried both of them...and I'm a drinker..they are both nasstysad

TrillianAstra Sat 18-Dec-10 17:28:44

Stylishly given them away? How does one stylishly give away dodgy booze? grin

GrimmaTheNome Sat 18-Dec-10 17:32:42

You donate them to the next raffle or bottle tombola you come across. So then people like Kalokis nan can win them and pass them on.

Its tremendously environmentally friendly and raises money for charities! grin

Mumcentreplus Sat 18-Dec-10 17:37:45

Stylish giveaway number 1: 'ooh, we had this present for you for ages!!, when we went to Trinidad (lie)...hope you like 'Cask Wine' it's for special occassions over there'

Sylish giveaway number 2: 'DH told me you like to make cocktails (lie) and apparently 'Zivana' is used in Europe, we saw it and thought of you! (lies)grin

Mumcentreplus Sat 18-Dec-10 17:39:32

hmm Grimma I likey...

GrimmaTheNome Sat 18-Dec-10 17:42:19

Its the gift that keeps on giving! Just think how much money one of those bottles could raise, how much unecessary overconsumption avoided, over the years as it travels around between summer fayres and distant relatives.

Chatelaine Sat 18-Dec-10 17:43:46

I agree with SeaTrek, alternatively if you are confident they are not postively poisonous, make them into a Punch? Mix, add lemonade, fruit, ice, Bobs your Uncle grin If they are already opened they will be going off, depending on the alcohol content. Given the time of year, any scope in that?

Chatelaine Sat 18-Dec-10 17:45:08

Positively blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: