Talk

Advanced search

Well, Am I?

(87 Posts)
ItsAHollyJollyTee Sat 18-Dec-10 16:00:16

I grew up on the East Coast of the US. Every winter was like the one we're having now. But we dealt with it. We had snow tires. Schools did close, but maybe for a day. Because towns were prepared for it. Snowploughs. Grit. Salt.

As I sit here reading thread after thread about people being stuck, sliding, towns not ready for this, AIBU to expect it to be time for the people of the UK to get ready for this?

This is like last year. It will probably be like this next year.

So isn't it time to stop saying 'the UK never gets weather like this' and admit that, yeah, now we do. So let's be ready?

StealthPolarBear Sat 18-Dec-10 16:01:41

Well we might or we might not. Unless things are changing then it's statistically unliekly. And you have to counter the cost of all this preparation.
I agree though if the powers that be decide it isn't cost effective to prepare then they can't claim they were 'caught unawares'.

ItsAHollyJollyTee Sat 18-Dec-10 16:05:23

That's the thing, how many years in a row can they claim ignorance?

Lulumaam Sat 18-Dec-10 16:06:25

it's not really the people though , is it? it's the government and local authorities who are not ready/funded

there are no grit bins on the roads anymore, i've not seen a gritter yet round here,public services are being cut and there is not any money

so, it is highly unlikely that next year there will suddenly be a load of grit bins, grit lorries and snow ploughs out there...

I am prepared, my car has had a winter service and all essential functions checked, anti freeze topped up, my fridge and freezer are fully stocked and we have coal, logs, candles, matches, and can batten down the hatches

however my car is snowed in and i am not risking life and limb on the road!

StealthPolarBear Sat 18-Dec-10 16:06:28

Well in general we have mild winters so that is what we are prepared for.

ItsAHollyJollyTee Sat 18-Dec-10 16:08:30

I guess since the government isn't (apparently) going to do anything, the people are going to have to. Or spend days/weeks stuck at home!

giantpurplepeopleeater Sat 18-Dec-10 16:10:37

To be honest, I get nagry about the lack of personal responsibility.Why is it always the Government who are meant to prepare - hat about people buying bags of grit for their drive/ paths/ cul de sacs from B&Q. What about snow chains for their cars? What bout having a car capable of driving in snow if thats what you want to do What about making arrangements NOT to have to drive/ go out in the snow?

mousesma Sat 18-Dec-10 16:11:21

Its only been 2 winters i.e. the last 2 that we've had this type of weather. Also when it comes its only for a few days (down south at least) rather than for the whole winter.

I think given the spending cuts it would not be prudent to invest in the infastructure to cope with severe weather just yet.

Lulumaam Sat 18-Dec-10 16:13:31

i've lived where I am now for 14 years, this is only the second winter we've had snow, so it would be unreaosonable for the council to spend ££££££££ previosuly on snow stuff. however, if this is going to recur every year for a few days, teh do need to do something.

but on the whole winters are generally ok

ItsAHollyJollyTee Sat 18-Dec-10 16:15:24

Okay, so at what point do you (general you, obviously) say 'okay, this is winter now'.

5 winters?

10?

15?

Who decides when it's time to start investing in snowy winter preparedness?

WhyHavePets Sat 18-Dec-10 16:19:31

Well seeing as you are complaining about this year then it has really only been one winter hasn't it. I.E. last winter was like this. To be prepared for this winter they would have had to have decided after just one winter of this type to expend huge amounts of money on equipment with no idea if it was ever going to happen again.

TBH you are bu. Out of interest why does it make you so angry? It is snow, some people are having trouble, others are not. Why let it get to you?

Hassledge Sat 18-Dec-10 16:21:16

YANBU. It's getting a bit embarrassing at this stage - we need to sort ourselves out.

NinkyNonker Sat 18-Dec-10 16:23:15

We used to get this when I was growing up, but in the last, oooh, 24 yrs I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen this weather. (We have glorious sunshine and clear skies here anyway!)

So yes, YABU I think.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 18-Dec-10 16:26:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 18-Dec-10 16:26:40

WhyHavePets Sat 18-Dec-10 16:29:46

Voting tory doesn't come into it, they haven't shoveled paths for years. They only grit bus routes and artery roads, again the same for years. Luckily it seems that they are distributing more salt bins this year though.

faverolles Sat 18-Dec-10 16:34:04

From where I'm sitting, I think that (in my area at least) we have been much better prepared for the snow. The roads are generally kept clear, the local tyre fitter has sold more winter tyres than ever before, and we still have healthy grit stocks, so I think they have learnt from last year.

YABU though to compare this country, and its potential few days stuck at home with snow around for 2 or 3 weeks to places which have snow and ice predictably for a few months every year. This countries snow, although it has caught some on the hop, is nothing compared to others, so why would councils spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on equipment when this year, and last, could be a blip in the weather?

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 18-Dec-10 16:40:52

Lonnie Sat 18-Dec-10 16:51:39

I have lived in the UK for 20 years this is the 3rd winter there has been snow. dont think we can expect the government to spend lots of money on ploughs and gritters that they will not usually need. Perhaps after 4-5 years of it yes.

I grew up in Denmark where it was normal to sort out stuff for winter there I think your post would be fair if it was not dealt with (but it is) here I think at the moment we do our best.

Goblinchild Sat 18-Dec-10 16:54:37

I thought you were going all Cockney Rhyming Slang on us SGM. smile

CarGirl Sat 18-Dec-10 16:58:32

The last time we had very severe winters across the whole of England/Wales/Scotland was in the 60s, there was a fair amount of snow in the 70s but only in certain areas - certainly the north east and yes they are more prepared for it than in the south.

fedupofnamechanging Sat 18-Dec-10 16:59:47

Bags of rock salt cost £6.99 at my local DIY store. Can't really afford to keep buying it esp on top of Christmas. I do pay a shitload of Council Tax though, so think it is the councils responsibility to provide grit bins. Will happily do the gritting myself (well, I'll get DH to), but it should be there in the first place.

idlingabout Sat 18-Dec-10 17:00:34

Totally agree with Stewie. When listening to friends maoning the other day about paths not being cleared I asked them whether they had cleared the paths outside their properties - not one had. When another moaned about slippery ice on pavements I asked her whether she had bought suitable footwear. You can get these `cleat` things that you can strap onto boots/shoes which are equpped with metal studs and chains to stop you slipping - perfect combined with wellies to get about in the snow.

ItsAHollyJollyTee Sat 18-Dec-10 17:01:27

So did I GoblinChild!

I didn't say I was angry, BTW, mostly annoyed by the constant whinging.

And I do honestly want to know at what point it becomes a 'normal' winter.

Because I do think this is what we are going to get from now on. Just based on world wide weather patterns. Call it Global Warming, call it a new ice age, I honestly don't know.

I do know that the UK coming to a standstill for weeks at a time due to a bit of snow is not acceptable and does make us a laughing stock around the world.

And being from America? I know from international laughing stocks. grin

InkyStamp Sat 18-Dec-10 17:03:56

People around here are prepared. The council wont grit the school road but it hasnt shut yet- because the people who live on the hill the school is on have been gritting it for us all. Fabulous.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: