Talk

Advanced search

To feel smug about all the idiots stuck in the snow...

(333 Posts)
MayDayChild Sat 18-Dec-10 14:20:25

It's my birthday tomo. Wanted to pop to shops alone (luxury!)to buy a new dress to wear for my meal out tonight.
But as I'm breastfeeding, I decided early this morning to forgoe the dress, incase I got stuck.
Have now decided to cancel meal as roads impassable
I'm hearing on news about gridlock all over London, car parks at bluewater, lakeside etc all jammed no one is going anywhere!
I feel smug for being home, warm, safe with my children!!!!

nightmarebeforechristmas Sat 18-Dec-10 14:21:48

yep I am sure the mum on the other thread stuck in the snow with her 8 moth old baby feels happy for you.
(but I am all snug in the warm too)

Maria2007loveshersleep Sat 18-Dec-10 14:21:53

YABVU!

Really, I wouldn't even bother to answer this post but the snow today got heavy very very suddenly & am sure most of the people you're referring to are not 'idiots' but just got going earlier, before the snow got this heavy.

Feeling smug about people stuck in carparks etc: just plain mean IMO.

HalfTermHero Sat 18-Dec-10 14:22:21

YABU. That is a really mean sentiment. Just cos your day was fucked up you want others to suffer too? Nice. hmm

NorthernLurker Sat 18-Dec-10 14:23:09

People are uncomfortable, cold and frightened and you feel happy about that? You need to rethink your sense of what's appropriate. Feel relieved you didn't go out sure - but anything else is pretty vile.

HalfTermHero Sat 18-Dec-10 14:23:12

Xposted with you Maria. Thank god we are not all vindicitive lunatics!

Dansmommy Sat 18-Dec-10 14:23:28

Wow, what a nasty attitude. People have died in the past after being stuck out in the snow.Many of them are only out because they have to work, or buy food. YABU and spiteful.

iPaddle Sat 18-Dec-10 14:23:58

Wow. Can't be very nice being you, no matter how cosy and warm you are.

BelligerentYhoULE Sat 18-Dec-10 14:24:19

YABU and horrible.

HalfTermHero Sat 18-Dec-10 14:24:21

Xposted with you all, lol. See, this place isn't the nest of vipers it's made out to be smile

FrostyAndSlippery Sat 18-Dec-10 14:25:38

I don't feel smug.

I am pissed off though, because both now and the other week loads of people decided to drive even though it was clearly a bad idea, and there were loads of abandoned cars in the roads. So even after the snow had cleared the buses couldn't do their route.

MayDayChild Sat 18-Dec-10 14:26:51

Sorry! But it was forecast. My point being I decided it wasn't worth the risk so I stayed at home.

DontLetTinselDragOnTheFloor Sat 18-Dec-10 14:26:53

I'm pleased that i am snuggled up to the kitchen radiator with my iPad but i am in no way smug that others are suffering.

Goblinchild Sat 18-Dec-10 14:26:55

So when your power goes out, can we feel smug if we've got backup plans that you don't?
As you sit in your sub-zero home?
When your baby has a temperature of 40 degrees, will you be grateful that some stupid medic got stuck in the snow and walked to work?
Nasty post.

Opinionatedfreak Sat 18-Dec-10 14:27:13

My God! What a nasty sentiment.

As someone who was almost stranded at work last week (I'm an essential worker - it says on our trust website that we should disregard police instructions not to drive because we are 'key' staff) you are being truly horrible.

Have you got a shovel, spare water, rug, food, grit and spare screen wash in your car? If you haven't you had better un-smug because if you get stuck when it unexpectedly snows heavily you won't be quite so happy then.

Unless you are planning on not driving anywhere in winter ever again.

BaroqinAroundTheChristmasTree Sat 18-Dec-10 14:27:51

well - maybe they did the same as me at around 10.30 this morning - looked at the Met Office website warning and saw mostly yellow for "be prepared".......by the time I got home an hour ago it had turned to a deep shade of red for "severe" - yes snow was forecast - but I think t's come down a lot worse than was initially expected.

GrimmaTheNome Sat 18-Dec-10 14:28:40

YABU.

Its OK to feel glad that you made the sensible decision to stay home, but leave out the judgement on others.

Happy Birthday anyway.

violethill Sat 18-Dec-10 14:30:12

Dear me. Are you very bored and frustrated and resentful, that you get enjoyment out of feeling pleased at other people's misfortune?

I know your plans have been messed up, but honestly..... hmm

proudfoot Sat 18-Dec-10 14:31:41

What a horrible and bitchy post.

YABU and should be ashamed of yourself.

MiasMARY Sat 18-Dec-10 14:33:49

nasty nasty nasty.

FrostyAndSlippery Sat 18-Dec-10 14:34:11

My DH was one of the 'idiots' last night. Had been in hospital all day and was told he'd get a bed as he's waiting for an MRI on his back. At 9pm they said actually there were no beds, go home. Was very worried until he arrived.

MayDayChild Sat 18-Dec-10 14:34:34

Ok use of word smug and idiots was a bit extreme.
There is another post about someone cross with her 65 yr old parents going out shopping to Brent x which is now closed.
No-one think she is reasonable to be cross at them.

mangoandlime Sat 18-Dec-10 14:34:40

Some weird folk about if that's what you feel smug about.

Very, 'I'm all right Jack'.

BringOnTheGoat Sat 18-Dec-10 14:34:53

YABU to feel smug but others have covered that more eloquently.

Good for you all safe and warm. It was forecast for here but we have sunshine. Forecasts are not definates.

FrostyAndSlippery Sat 18-Dec-10 14:35:40

I do agree btw that people should've been more prepared this time. We are - we've been stocking up on more food etc. But I'm still not laughing at others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now