Talk

Advanced search

to be genuinely confused why anyone who isn't stupid would vote Labour?

(139 Posts)
smallwhitecat Sat 18-Dec-10 10:18:40

Message withdrawn

WinkyWinkola Sat 18-Dec-10 10:19:44

Thread about a thread. Yawn.

Firawla Sat 18-Dec-10 10:20:29

yabu

sarah293 Sat 18-Dec-10 10:20:30

Message withdrawn

mrsruffallo Sat 18-Dec-10 10:21:06

I feel the same about people who vote Conservative

AppleHEAD Sat 18-Dec-10 10:29:07

People who vote conservative are clearly insane or very rich.

ItsGrimUpNorth Sat 18-Dec-10 10:30:07

Is it preachy to want to discuss, debate and disagree? Oh dear.

smallwhitecat Sat 18-Dec-10 10:30:59

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Sat 18-Dec-10 10:31:02

TBH none of them from any party tell the truth or deliver what they promise. I think it is often a choice of having to pick the lesser of all evils, rather than picking the best person for the job these days.

I did vote, but my word, it took some hinking about to see who might actually do anything of any use to get us out fo the mess we were (and still are) in.

pommedeterre Sat 18-Dec-10 10:32:45

Argh. I have a very simple view on politics and it is this:

People vote depending on their financial situation and what they stand to win/lose from a party's politics.

Threads like this irritate me (and the original too) because you aren't going to convert people because you aren't going to change their situation.

ACK.

Disclaimer (love that word) - family voting history can muddy the waters.

LaWeaselMys Sat 18-Dec-10 10:35:03

I'm sorry you suffer from a basic ability to follow logic.

The conservatives economic policies are widely direded by prominent and Nobel prize winning economists as most likely to send us from recession to depression.

That's a pretty good reason to vote for Labour, in their humble opinion. (although actually they thought vince cables policies were best. Shame he's been neutered.)

ItsGrimUpNorth Sat 18-Dec-10 10:38:21

Neutered? Tee hee.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 18-Dec-10 10:38:58

Anyone who slavishly follows one particular party deserves a slap around the face with a wet fish. It's the political equivalent of families associating themselves with one particular football team, with generational feuds if someone 'defects'....makes my teeth ache

3seater Sat 18-Dec-10 10:41:21

yabvu

smallwhitecat Sat 18-Dec-10 10:42:31

Message withdrawn

LaWeaselMys Sat 18-Dec-10 10:43:33

Basic inability.

That kind of screwed up that sentence.

MNHQ I want edit!

threefeethighandrising Sat 18-Dec-10 10:47:04

YABU.

IMO it's those with money worries who should be voting Labour. They put lots of practical things on place to help families on low incomes, which the Tories are slashing witout proper debate.

I mean to take just one example out of sadly so many - closing libraries. Who's that going to affect more? Those with enough money for their own personal library at home, or those who can't even afford to have the internet at home. Hmm I wonder ...

taintedsnow Sat 18-Dec-10 10:48:36

Ooh a thread about a thread! How utterly thrilling!

And the OP is being, of course, spectacularly unreasonable. How original and new. I may wet myself with excitement.

hmm

LaWeaselMys Sat 18-Dec-10 10:49:46

here you go meet Chris

Cutting now is more risky than going for a slow progression of cuts.

There is a great article that explains how we were actually in more debt post WW2, cut very heavily, which plunged us into depression, and eventually led to the creation of the welfare state and the NHS as soon as some lefties got in, which revived the economy.

smallwhitecat Sat 18-Dec-10 10:49:50

Message withdrawn

tingletangle Sat 18-Dec-10 10:50:33

Pomme i don't think most people do not vote to improve their own economic situation. Surely people vote for the party they think will do the greatest good.

LaWeaselMys Sat 18-Dec-10 11:00:15

Clearly you are ignoring the fact that lots of economists disagree that they are going to help the economy.

But obviously, you know more that people who study economics for a living. oh look like this guy

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Sat 18-Dec-10 11:06:25

I have money worries and I will vote Labour in the next general election. To be honest, I can't fathom why anyone in their right mind would vote Conservative, but there you go. It's good that we get to choose.

LaWeaselMys Sat 18-Dec-10 11:06:42

To be fair, usually our economic position is stabilised by swinging between labour and conservatives in 8-10year gaps. So we need people to vote both ways.

But on this occasion having a majority LibDem government would actually have been best for the economy (as they advocated slow cuts) but instead we ended up with the least preferable outcome.

Because the conservatives tried very hard to terrify everyone about how much debt we are in (when it's nowhere near our record high) and have convinced people the only solution is cuts (it's not).

classydiva Sat 18-Dec-10 11:08:32

the Tories have always been for the rich, even now they are making the poor poorer, people forget.

Labour didn't do so well, but what is the middle ground?

Tories won't get in again they have already cocked up.

If you want to make cuts in services, look first to MP;s expenses and work from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now