Talk

Advanced search

Is there somewhere I can donate extra gifts?

(20 Posts)
ShanahansRevenge Fri 17-Dec-10 21:59:21

I have a few extra toys...all brand new and boxed...I remember there used to be a tree in our local shopping centre where you could leave them..but not this year..

Do hospitals need any gifts? For kids who come in at awkward times perhaps? Orjust for their children's wards?

Or are there any schemes anyone knows of which are nationally operating perhaps?

Thanks!

ShanahansRevenge Fri 17-Dec-10 22:00:05

Sorry! This was meant for chat!

scrappydappydoo Fri 17-Dec-10 22:04:02

Salvation Army if there's one near you
Womens Aid?
Our local asda has a trolley at the front of the store to donate toys..
grin

ShanahansRevenge Fri 17-Dec-10 22:29:31

Asda! Ah....my Mum has one near hers...I'll ask her to take them along! Thanks!

monkeycat Sat 18-Dec-10 11:28:53

Our local Superdrug is taking them in for the
salvation Army so you could take them there if you don't get ro und to Asda .

FrostyAndSlippery Sat 18-Dec-10 11:44:00

I was going to start a thread on this.

I've decided to donate some stuff to a women's aid refuge - mostly old but decent clothes and toys.

But how do I donate it? Tried looking it up on my local council site (West Sussex) but couldn't find anything, mum reminded me they can't put location up because it would put the women in danger.

So how do I donate things? I'm not in a hurry, it can wait until January (no car so might have to wait anyway) and I'm absolutely determined that I'm donating them to a refuge instead of a charity shop.

So how do I do it? Help!

festivefriedawhingesagain Sat 18-Dec-10 11:54:43

Frosty I just rang the local womens aid helpline and told them I wasn't needing help but wanted to donate. They arranged how to with me. Some areas, like mine, have a day centre set up seperate to the refuge, so the location isn't secret, and I arranged to drop stuff there.

They will be able to sort something out with yousmile

hairyfairylights Sat 18-Dec-10 11:58:46

Social services at the local council?

FrostyAndSlippery Sat 18-Dec-10 18:02:57

Thank you I'll phone on Monday

notremotelyintofootie Sat 18-Dec-10 18:30:15

I called ours a few years ago as I had tons of baby stuff, someone met me in a car park to collect it but if you dont have a car I'm sure they'll send someone around

ocdgirl Sat 18-Dec-10 18:34:39

i had loads of stuff, and i phoned them up and someone came to my house and collected it

FrostyAndSlippery Sat 18-Dec-10 19:33:26

Wow! That's great to know. Thanks

I wouldn't have even thought of donating stuff there if not for MN.

TheBrandyButterflyEffect Sat 18-Dec-10 19:39:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrostyAndSlippery Sun 19-Dec-10 14:17:47

Never heard of that I'll have a look.

I also gave some books to the new drop in health centre as their waiting room was bare, and have given some to both of DD's playgroups. Going to give a few bits to the local SureStart centre too.

sims2fan Sun 19-Dec-10 16:11:37

I was in my town centre today and there was a notice up in Boots window saying that toys for their Christmas gift appeal could be taken upstairs to their Christmas gift area. Don't know if it's a national thing or not.

CubaCat Sun 19-Dec-10 16:46:57

I think they collect extra toys in Morrisons too, iirc.

deaddei Sun 19-Dec-10 17:00:47

If you're in LOndon there's KIds COmpany who are doing a party for 3000 children- presents very welcome.

ShanahansRevenge Tue 21-Dec-10 16:57:35

Oh! I never thought of social services or a women's shelter! I should have though. My Mum's a carer for the elderly and a social worker once got talking to her and mum told her I was getting rid of some baby things...and she took them all for a young Mum....she was very helpful and came with her car to my Mums house. I will call them and see if I can drop them off.

JustAnother Tue 21-Dec-10 17:12:49

I emailed the women shelter in my area and they came back to me saying they accept all toys and clothes, especially before xmas. As the ladies in the office are volunteers, it took them a week to come back to me, so be patient if they are slow to respond.

ShanahansRevenge Tue 21-Dec-10 21:27:12

I will try that JA as I haven't been able to get a lift today.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: