Talk

Advanced search

in thinking the BBC really don't know what the weather forecast is for tomorrow?

(17 Posts)
posey Fri 17-Dec-10 19:37:10

On the summary on the BBC homepage for tomrrow it says heavy snow.
Click on detailed forecast and it changes to light snow.
Click on the 3 hourly breakdown of weather and not a bit of snow is forecast.

Aaarrrggghhhh grin because it's Christmas and I can't be bothered getting annoyed

wineonafridaynight Fri 17-Dec-10 19:39:02

They are clueless.

This morning I was in bed watching the weather on the BBC - they said we might get a shower about midday. Look out the window 10 mins later and it's blizzard like!

blueberrysantabait Fri 17-Dec-10 19:39:14

Apparently we are having light cloud and sunny spells according to the local BBC weather page, the local weather hasn't long finished with a warning of heavy snow and accumulations of upto 15cm. I am enjoying the guessng game.

southeastastra Fri 17-Dec-10 19:40:06

they said it would be sunny here today and it snowed heavily for an hour

LoopyLoopsOfSparklyFairyLights Fri 17-Dec-10 19:41:25

Totally no clue. Changes every 5 minutes.

FattyArbuckel Fri 17-Dec-10 19:42:29

Scrap the met office completely and save the £££

Interview random folk in random places instead for their views. This would be a lot better imo

OatcakeCravings Fri 17-Dec-10 19:45:34

I don't believe in weather forecasts they are like horoscopes

lalalonglegs Fri 17-Dec-10 19:46:33

I have soft spot for BBC weather since its site was the only one to forecast sunshine on my wedding day. They were wrong but made me feel a lot better in the run-up grin.

missorinoco Fri 17-Dec-10 19:47:11

Although on the 24 hour forecast tomorrow it will be -7 here at 9am, on the 5 day forecast the minimum temperature will be -3 and the maximum -2. confused

It's annoying me too! I'm hoping to drive from Oxford to H.Wycombe tomorrow to see an old friend.. we got snowed off last attempt... and every forecast I have seen is totally different!... heavy snow, light shower... no snow... who knows?!

Think I'll go with the 'let's look out of the window shall we?' forecast grin

5Foot5 Fri 17-Dec-10 19:47:53

Very unsettling when you are planning a long drive through the Peak District to deliver Christmas pressies confused

NinkyNonker Fri 17-Dec-10 20:03:26

Local BBC TV says heavy snow for us, web BBC says a light shower tomorrow...we shall see!

Hassledge Fri 17-Dec-10 20:07:35

The online BBC weather always seem to paint the more optimistic picture - it seems to be more of a best case scenario forecast. The TV weather seems more realistic - it beats the hell out of me as to why they're different.

lovelyopaque Fri 17-Dec-10 20:08:08

I have just this second said this to DH. Website says one thing, TV another.

posey Fri 17-Dec-10 20:10:16

Well since I posted the OP the BBC have changed their forecast for tomorrow, again!
Think we'll see in the morning whether we should go away (but REALLY don't want to get stuck at our destination!)

notjustapotforsoup Fri 17-Dec-10 20:15:05

I have a theory that the BBC weather on-line is made up by the staff members picking symbols out of a lucky dip bin.

Usually bears no resemblance to the one on the Met Office website. I thought that's where they got their info from? Nor, as others have said, does it match up with the BBCTV weather.

happycamel Fri 17-Dec-10 20:33:51

I find the BBC/Met office always forecast extreme weather (heavy snow/heavy rain/bright sun) three days in advance and as you get closer it gets more normal.

So the heavy snow for Saturday forecast on Wednesday was light snow by yesterday and is now one snow shower. When I check the 24 one it's no snow at all. Also the weather seems to slip back a day so now it's light snow on Sunday. Take it all with a pinch of salt I reckon (no pun intended).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now