Talk

Advanced search

to think that Amazon should be honest about the fact that they can no longer guarantee deliveries before Christmas?

(17 Posts)
QueenStromba Fri 17-Dec-10 18:33:20

A friend of mine has some overdue orders on Amazon. When he rang them today they said that his packages seem to have been lost in the post. When he asked for replacements to be sent they told him that they cannot guarantee he will get them before Christmas by any delivery method despite the fact that their website says that you still have two days to order in time for Christmas by first class delivery. Just thought I should warn everyone in case they were thinking of ordering a Christmas present from them.

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Fri 17-Dec-10 18:34:17

Yanbu.

BikeRunSki Fri 17-Dec-10 18:36:26

When I went to order something today, the website told me that I would not get it in time for Christmas. It wasn't for Christmas, so no problem, but Amazon did tell me.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 17-Dec-10 18:41:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Fri 17-Dec-10 19:10:37

well. I ordered something just before the snow hit.

I expected it would be delayed, no problem.

Then I got an email saying that it was on the delivery van and would be delivered that day between 8am and 6pm. My husband waited in all day. No delivery.

I emailed them. They blamed the weather.

I said fine, delays I can understand. But emailing me to tell me that it was on the van and to wait in 8-6 because it was en route, then to tell me that you've got a backlog because of the weather is taking the bloody piss!

InkyStamp Fri 17-Dec-10 19:16:18

I was coming on to say the same as SGM, but she got there first! grinI keep meaning to say t on the other threads too!

BUT can understand that in Hectates case it is taking the piss!!

xstitchsnowscene Fri 17-Dec-10 20:03:21

Oh hec that is definitely taking the piss!

I hate it when companies say they will do something they already know they can't

GentleOtter Fri 17-Dec-10 20:09:36

Same as you Hecate.

We have had a week of clear roads and UPS could not make it from Perth to our house. I had to email America to find this out.

We asked the postie if there had been an avalanche or packs of wild bears but he said the road was fine.

Now there is some snow so they probably won't come.

The order was sent ten days ago. <fume>

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Fri 17-Dec-10 20:14:03

Yes. I am SO pissed off with them.

The delivery company is called DPD UK

You get that? DPD UK DPD UK DPD UK

DPD UK imo are SHIT!

I hope they have a techie / googly person who picks up that they're SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!

Gosh. I rather enjoyed that. grin

pippylongstockings Fri 17-Dec-10 20:18:59

Amazon have been very good for my order - I ordered stuff 5th December, it didn't arrive by 14th but they sent the whole order again the very next day on 15th and I got it on the 16th Dec.

brilliant service if you ask me.

QueenStromba Fri 17-Dec-10 20:30:48

Ah DPD. I've had similar problems with them. I ordered something off Amazon marketplace the weekend before last which was sent "next day delivery" via Interlink/DPD on the Monday. When it hadn't turned up by Wednesday I emailed the seller and they said that it was in the depot but held up because of the snow (there hadn't been snow in London for almost a week at this point). I got a missed delivery notice on the Friday even though I was in at the time so rearranged the delivery for Monday. I sat in all day Monday and my package didn't come and then had to sit in all day Tuesday until it finally came at about 6 in the evening - both days working on my laptop in the kitchen so I'd definitely hear the door. When the delivery guy knocked on the door I'd swear he was trying to be as quiet as possible - no wonder I didn't hear him the first time.

QueenStromba Fri 17-Dec-10 20:33:11

Oh, when I mentioned all this to a mate of mine the other day he went off on a major tirade about DPD even before I mentioned it was them I had the problem with!

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Sat 18-Dec-10 11:57:43

Great. <sigh> So I can expect to receive the chair sometime mid may then. I mean, it's not a christmas present but it's still bloody uncomfortable here in the computer room for hours sitting on a dining chair.

Oh, I am building a website, btw - I haven't bought a lovely comfy chair for hours of mumsnetting grin

navyeyelasH Sat 18-Dec-10 12:00:41

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and still no sign of it. Annoyingly I needed it by tomorrow angry.

BelligerentYhoULE Sat 18-Dec-10 12:08:43

My final item arrived today - hurray! Was supposed to be here on the 8th.

Tbh though, I've been using Amazon for years and this is the first time I have ever, ever, had a problem with them. And it isn't really a problem anyway - because it's here now!

NorthernLurker Sat 18-Dec-10 12:14:46

My last things came this morning - ordered on 03/12!

GiddyPickle Sat 18-Dec-10 12:38:41

I just had an email from them saying they are doing their best to get everything delivered before Christmas and that customer services is swamped. I guess that's about as honest as they can be really.
We've had another 8 inches of snow just this morning so any dent delivery companies have made in the backlog is going to be wiped out if everything is now at a standstill again. Our post was only just back to normal and our original lot of snow has been gone for 10 days or more.

Its not just Amazon - HDNL and other couriers on the news last night all said the backlog of parcels was in the millions and that snow this week would lead to an even bigger backlog. I guess more people order from Amazon and also Amazon have distribution based in Scotland so the effect for them is doubly bad. Its the worst December weather for 30 years apparently and lots of online companies aren't taking new orders or have hurriedly changed their last shipping dates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now