Talk

Advanced search

to want to cry when i see cold children

(103 Posts)
countless Fri 17-Dec-10 11:32:05

don't people understand or care that small children sitting inert in pushchairs need to be wrapped up appropriately
i see so many everyday. little red hands. no snuggle. no hat. bare legs between sock and trouser leg. frozen rigid

even worse when person pushing is warmly wrapped

classydiva Fri 17-Dec-10 11:35:16

That really gets my goat, and I don't like it either, selfish parents shouldn't have children.

indiechick Fri 17-Dec-10 11:36:34

I agree up to a point. My two year old will not wear clothes until her hands turn blue so although the rest of her has a minimum of 3 layers on, her hands are freezing. And to be honest there's not a lot I can do about it.

welshbyrd Fri 17-Dec-10 11:40:43

I know exactly what you mean, prime example other day, lady carrying very young baby in sling,[ possibly 2 months old], trousers had slipped up on baby obviously while being put in sling, I felt so sad for baby, showing bare legs in this weather.

See loads more incidents, but have to say, as babies get older, some will not/refuse to wear any gloves,hats, kick blankets off, my nephew is always doing it, sister bought him a pram recently with a cosytoes attached, ready for this weather, he has just started kicking that off too.

MissFit Fri 17-Dec-10 11:40:46

Would children just sit there quietly if they were very cold?

My DD would whinge / cry if she was cold. Everyone in a mile radius would know about it.

Guitargirl Fri 17-Dec-10 11:41:50

My DS - also 2 - refuses to wear hat and gloves - he goes into absolute meltdown at the sight of them. I can see people looking and thinking why isn't that child wearing gloves. It's because he REFUSES to wear them. I carry them around in a bag with me - futile.

I don't think I am selfish.

belgo Fri 17-Dec-10 11:43:37

This was my ds today, aged two. He got cold in his pushchair and started shouting COLD! COLD! whilst bouncing up and down. It was very embarrassing and I raced home.

He's fine now, no signs of frost bite.

CommanderDrool Fri 17-Dec-10 11:44:00

Yes 'me too- particularly seeing small babies in a sling without a snow suit.

Although my 18 month old pulls her gloves off constantly then cries and sucks her fingers because they are cold. hmm

fannybaws Fri 17-Dec-10 11:45:21

My two year old had a bird poo on his hand when he was sitting gloveless (his choice)the other day.
He now will wear them as he was so disgusted! I am thinking of trying to find said bird to thank it personally. grin

brownbug78 Fri 17-Dec-10 11:45:22

I've always been told that it's the core body temperature that's important. Agree with MisFit - my DS screams bloody murder when his hands etc are cold, so I'm sure if the babies were uncomfortable they'd let the parents know!

Having said that, if a baby will allow parents to put mittens etc on, then they should be on in this weather!

countless Fri 17-Dec-10 11:47:16

i know some people will say their dc won't wear a hat or gloves etc but they can be overcome

my dd would remove hers if she could but with " underhin fastening hat under a hood secured with a scarf it just not possible!

and snuggles are really a necessity in freezing temps. it seems as though people just don't consider how it must feel to be pushed along exposed to the elements

kingfix Fri 17-Dec-10 11:48:06

YANBU if bare-legged babies in the snow.

YAB a bit U if 2+ yr olds with no gloves, but otherwise warmly dressed (for reasons outlined above).

YAB totally U if you are that nutty wonam who came up to be in the heat of August and told me my sweating DD should have a coat on.

CommanderDrool Fri 17-Dec-10 11:51:19

I was st a car boot sale on Sunday, 8am, -10, so cold that in spite of my snow gear I had yo have a very hot shower when j got home.

There were babies sat in buggies with no shoes, just tights, thin jacket, no blanket. angry

BlueFergie Fri 17-Dec-10 11:53:53

I don't use slings but my understanding is babies in them don't need snow suits as the body heat from the adult keeps them warm. In fact they would overheat in a snowsuit. Normally you make sure head, arms/hands and legs/feet are covered and off you go.

octopusinabox Fri 17-Dec-10 11:55:12

My daughter hates wearing gloves and takes them off straight away even though it's freezing. She's also too big for the buggy snuggle thing so I throw a blanket over her but that gets pushed off too. Sometimes there's not much you can do. I'm lucky that she does like her hat though and I put her in a snowsuit.

I see children with not even a proper coat on coming to our school - it was -6 the other day and they're wearing thin jacket style ones.

belgo Fri 17-Dec-10 11:57:26

Bluefergie - it depends totally on the type of sling. With the Baby bjorn type carriers, the baby dangles in front of the parent so isn't getting much of the benefit of the parent's heat.

But with very close baby slings, the baby is so huddled up and snug they dont' need a snow suit.

countless Fri 17-Dec-10 11:58:37

missfit- i've seen many small children who look literally frozen rigid, with sad resigned faces and those little red and white fingers sad

ginnybag Fri 17-Dec-10 12:00:41

We put out ten month old in her sling still (we have one rated for this!) and she wears:

Vest, tights, trousers, long sleeved t-shirt, coat, gloves, hat, shoes.

Anything more than this and she's soaked through with sweat in twenty minutes.

She's pressed against (usually) my DH, often with one or both of his arms around her as well as the thick fabric of the sling and frequently, if there's a wind, he pulls his full length coat round her as well.

My gripe is actually people overdressing their babies. Full snowsuits, two blankets and a hat, in a supermarket, in September. Urgh!

mamatomany Fri 17-Dec-10 12:01:11

There's no excuse really, my DS has tights under his trousers and is wrapped with a blanket, hands tucked into his footmuff like he's in traction.
He probably hates me but he is warm.
But then you have to remember to whip the hat off and undo it all when you get into a shop.
My pet hate is seeing a steamed up raincover over a buggy, it must be like a green house in there.

CommanderDrool Fri 17-Dec-10 12:01:22

I used a sling throughout last winter with dd3 and nothing will convince 'me body heat alone was enough to keep her warm. She had a snow suit.

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Fri 17-Dec-10 12:03:50

Lol at the thought of DS in an underchin fastened hat with a hood and scarf. Assuming by some miracle he actually let me get all that on him I'd end up pushing along a bright red screaming child struggling desparately to remove himself.

He does have a buggy snuggle but refuses gloves, hats (even hoods) and often coats as well. I just carry them rather than push him along screaming. When he gets cold enough he'll let me put the coat on, and he does tell me if he gets cold. I taught him to put his hands inside the footmuff too which keeps them warmer.

Generally I just dress him with lots of warm things underneath - vest, tights, long sleeved top and t shirt and/or thin sweater as well as jumper. You can be warm without wearing a coat!

backwardpossom Fri 17-Dec-10 12:04:44

I put DS in a snow suit last year in the sling when it was snowing as the buggy was worse than useless (he had a vest and babygro on underneath) and when we got home, he was soaked with sweat. Body heat alone is not enough, no, but it's easy for them to overheat in a sling.

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Fri 17-Dec-10 12:06:25

Depends what kind of sling I guess. Anything which goes under your coat won't need a snowsuit. Bjorns, SSCs worn on the back etc probably will. I don't think you could fit a snowsuited baby in a wrap sling, for example.

EdgarAleNPie Fri 17-Dec-10 12:09:09

generally, warmer than normal fleece/ velour sleepsuit is enough in the sling, for really cold weather snowsuit & sling is ok...as they are on my outdoors coat, i doubt they get much warmth from me. though i do check inside at heir little snuffly faces.

children can be very irrational about dressing up though.

NinkyNonker Fri 17-Dec-10 12:09:50

Def no sleepsuit in my thick jersey wrap sling, but yes in the Beco or the pram.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now