Talk

Advanced search

to think David Haye shouldn't even be in the picture for Sports Personality of the Year?

(21 Posts)
LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Dec-10 22:50:39

In light of his comments about gang rape which he refused to apologise for here, he should not even be considered, never mind appear in the Top 10 and in the adverts for the programme all 'heroed up'.

MsKalo Thu 16-Dec-10 22:57:18

Phil the Power Taylor to win! And yes, if he has been saying things like that, he should not be in it

huddspur Thu 16-Dec-10 22:59:19

YABU, he's probably the best heavyweight in the world at the moment.

OnEdge Thu 16-Dec-10 23:04:22

wtf has that got to do with it? Fuckin idiot saying that !

byrel Thu 16-Dec-10 23:12:53

Are we not evaluating the best sportsman/woman of the year. He doesn't sound very pleasant but if he is a world champion then his chance of winning SPOTY should be dependent on this.

notjustapotforsoup Thu 16-Dec-10 23:17:14

No, he shouldn't.

I am wondering what on earth it takes for sportsmen to be shunned.

notjustapotforsoup Thu 16-Dec-10 23:18:10

Ah, the Polanski defence has been put forward....

BitOfFalalalalaa Thu 16-Dec-10 23:18:59

I think that the word "Personality" is key though- it implies somebody who is an ambassador for (young) people to look up to, so their public utterances are part of the equation, in my opinion.

Saltatrix Thu 16-Dec-10 23:21:16

It's not best sports person it's best sports personality so YANBU.

When I heard him make that comment I literally face palmed.

StayFrosty Thu 16-Dec-10 23:24:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

reratio Thu 16-Dec-10 23:26:09

YABU, sporting awards should be decided on sporting performance alone

hogfather Thu 16-Dec-10 23:27:08

i thought there were some pretty good contenders this year - diving chap, skeleton lady, Phil `the power' taylor.

I guess it should be judged on what they have personally brought to their sport and how they have influenced others and as BOF says their ambassaderial (?sp) skills.

Personally I detest boxing and wouldnt vote for him necessarily.

StayFrosty Thu 16-Dec-10 23:28:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BitOfFalalalalaa Thu 16-Dec-10 23:28:57

There are lots of "sporting awards" which operate on that principle- a boxing match, for starters.

This award, however, asks for something rather different. Hence the word 'Personality'. I don't see why that is hard to understand.

kokolp Thu 16-Dec-10 23:31:17

Who cares, Sports Personality is a total farce. Ryan Giggs won it last year FFS

TheCrackFox Thu 16-Dec-10 23:40:56

I just don't get the point of Sports Personality of the Year.

Iwasthefourthwiseman Fri 17-Dec-10 00:08:35

I heard him & that other boxer on the today show a while back. They sounded like juvenile twats, they wouldn't even sit near each other.

notjustapotforsoup Fri 17-Dec-10 00:12:44

I think Ryan Giggs epitomises the Sports Personality Award. FFS, it's not "personality" in some reality game show sense.

Someone who makes rape "jokes" is in no way indicative of the ethos of the award.

mayorquimby Fri 17-Dec-10 00:44:37

"YABU, he's probably the best heavyweight in the world at the moment."

Steady on. He's possibly the 3rd/4th best in the world.

Darnsarfupnorf Fri 17-Dec-10 00:54:28

notjustapotforsoup i LOVE ryan giggs! what a genuine, lovely embassador for young people to look up to grin

however i think david haye should be up for it based on sporting merit but if people dont like him they wont vote for him which will reflect his 'personality' and taste in jokes lol

popelle Fri 17-Dec-10 19:37:29

YABU I think it should be decided on sporting achievement, his views on rape are irrelevant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now