Talk

Advanced search

To think that folk should pay up?

(14 Posts)
victoriah3 Thu 16-Dec-10 14:08:23

My hubby is self-employed and decorated a living room back in October. We are now owed £300.00. The woman in question ignores our phone calls and letters (all very polite up to now). She even ignored a visit to the house telling the kids to be quiet while hiding in the rear kitchen. We have sent off county court papers this morning but can't believe the cheek of some folk - but will we get our money eventually.....? Anyone had experience of County Court claims in similar circumstances?

LessonsinL Thu 16-Dec-10 14:11:18

No, she will ignore you. If she doesn't acknowledge the contact and doesn't turn up with to the County Court thing... there's very little you can do.

You can harass her but you might need to write this one off. Or put the pressure on. Up to you,

PostingID Thu 16-Dec-10 14:17:16

I have done the court papers once, which triggered a similar person into paying. Annoying, particularly as (if you anything like us) your Christmas sort of depends on getting the money in!

Lulumaam Thu 16-Dec-10 14:20:06

you might,you might not, she might plead pverty and pay you a £5 a month.

i'd write it off, unfortunately

if she doesn't turn up judgement will be entered against her and i think it will affect her credit rating, unless she already has bad credit

harassedinhertinselpants Thu 16-Dec-10 14:21:06

I've taken court proceedings against quite a few people over the years (for my job), and it's quite easy to do online (google Money Claim) and there are very good instructions how to calculate interest.

Send her a 7 day notice of court proceedings and then do it. Quite often just receiving the court papers gets people to pay (make sure you get costs too!) and then you can cancel the proceedings. Making sure the funds have cleared of course!

My dh is a roofer and some of the property developers he works for owe him from August. It was sub contract work through his db though, who for some reason won't flaming chase!!!

victoriah3 Thu 16-Dec-10 14:38:11

Can he go back and take the wallpaper back off the walls after all we paid for it! and he did it for her very cheap cos she is on a pension

grumpypants Thu 16-Dec-10 14:39:43

She's on a pension? Who's kids were being quiet in the kitchen?

victoriah3 Thu 16-Dec-10 14:42:10

I assume her granchildren cos her daughter lives there as well

victoriah3 Thu 16-Dec-10 14:45:30

If we get a CCJ I understand we can send in a bailiff to retrieve goods to the value of the debt. Is this correct?

grumpypants Thu 16-Dec-10 14:48:51

Sorry, got side tracked by visions of that French woman who had a baby at 70 blush

victoriah3 Thu 16-Dec-10 14:56:23

Perish the thought

roses2 Thu 16-Dec-10 16:54:39

Can't you put a charge on her house if she doesn't show up to court?

orangina Thu 16-Dec-10 16:58:54

I am about to go to county court to get paid by someone who is PLENTY able to pay me. I am so fed up with having to write off all this money owed to me (am self employed).....

I think over the last 10 years, I have lost out on between £15-20k

(angry angry angry angry angry)

maighdlin Thu 16-Dec-10 18:20:37

part of my job was doing small claims for unpaid fees. tended to either go that they got the papers shat themselves and paid up with all sorts of apologies and excuses or they never bothered with it and it got to the stage where we had an attachment order on their wages/benefits paying it every week. mostly it was for a few hundred but there were the odd ones who owed thousands, fees and outlay for conveyancing.

not too sure about bailiffs as we don't have them in NI.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: