Talk

Advanced search

to expect a review of reading levels ...

(13 Posts)
happyharry Thu 16-Dec-10 12:48:24

to be more frequently than termly in KS 1. I make comments in reading book saying that I believe she is ready to go up a level but no change. Also feel that children who were in other class had there reveiews more frequently as they are now on higher levels even though they started on the same.

happyharry Thu 16-Dec-10 12:48:46

We do book bands by the way.

PaisleyLeaf Thu 16-Dec-10 13:09:04

Like an official sort of 'review'?
They just seem to be quietly reviewing them every time they hear them read in DD's class.
It's frustrating that they're not acknowledging your comments though - it'd perhaps help you if they'd reply even if it's to say why they want her band whatever for a bit longer.

happyharry Thu 16-Dec-10 13:27:25

The trouble is I am not convinced they really did listen to them read in class much. The teacher admitted that the classroom assistant listened to the ones struggling (ie year 2's weekly) I am starting the feel the year ones have been left to fend for themselves.

tomhardyismydh Thu 16-Dec-10 13:28:40

Im not sure it is too big a deal, but could your child ask the teacher to have a different book.

my dd says they do not read what I write in the book. I dont really know what bands they use etc just colours I wouldnt know what is higher or lower. other than the other month dd came home with a purple book that she struggled with and I adviced her to ask the teacher to help her choose the right book. teacher told dd that she should have had a pink and not purple book.

a few days ago dd told me only one person in her class has a red book and they are year 2 books, they are in reception btw! I feigned a big wow wee for her as I dont have much interest in that side of things, she told me she was going to ask for a red book. she came home with a red book and told me her teacher said that mummy will have to help with some words, she did mansage it fine even all of the bigger words.

they should aknowledge your comments either way but surely you can provide more challenging books at home. when dd started school they did advice me that they do put lots of emphasis on parents responsibilty for reading. if they are not changing could you go to libary or something to get more challenging books.

happyharry Thu 16-Dec-10 13:37:05

Yes we do read lots at home. I have started getting her to read books at the next level. I guess I am just a little disappointed that she was allowed to coast last year. She was suppossed to be one of the brighter children but now seems disadvantaged by it.

happyharry Thu 16-Dec-10 13:39:18

DD picks her own books btw. But, she has to pick books from the colour she is on. So a maybe a word with the teacher is a better bet. As at the moment she is going to end KS1 below average if she only goes up two more levels.

rudolphsmum Thu 16-Dec-10 13:41:49

DS1 has a reading log that comes home with him everyday the teacher writes in it when he reads in school and we write in it when he reads at home. Since September he had gone up 4 reading bands and is listened to at school once a week but all schools do this differently I guess.

tomhardyismydh Thu 16-Dec-10 13:43:32

similar to dds school she picks her book every day from her colour. I would put dd upto asking for a different colour, as my dd did and was given the book she wanted.

If she is bellow average then I would ask to talk about this with teacher. How do you know what avergage? is I would not have a clue.

if it worries you just ask for a chat as you are worried about her reading

happyharry Thu 16-Dec-10 14:02:58

Just going by book bands and NC levels. Understand 2b is average at yean year 2 ans she will be below that.

MumNWLondon Thu 16-Dec-10 14:11:37

I think this varies school to school. At my DCs school they have policy that each child has to read every book on each level before going up.

A friend had a child at a different school both my DD and hers seems to have similar levels but massive difference in terms of school books.

Speak to teacher and if this fails speak to headteacher - thats what I ahd to do.

happyharry Thu 16-Dec-10 14:18:49

Yes mumnw the reading every book at every level has started with dd2 in reception. She is really bright and is having to read every red sub level 1 than 2 etc. Driving me mad. Good job I have lots of books at home.

MumNWLondon Thu 16-Dec-10 14:32:13

DS1 in reception and they told me no books until after christmas so still haven't seen a book.

DD now in year 2 and is on lime books (ORT11) but I did have to go and speak to head (this time last year) as she was reading chapter books at home and still on ORT3 at school! They moved her right to ORT7 and gave 2 at a time and she made great progress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now