Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to send my kids on world strictest parents?

(11 Posts)
veryberry21 Tue 14-Dec-10 18:55:50

Last night i was watching the tv with two of my dc when a tv programme called "worlds Stricted parents" came on. First time i'd seen the show and relised how much like the kids on it are like mine.
Love my dc like mad but they drive me up the wall.
Sixteen year old ds(1) drives me mad. He's get himself into a state. His room is a shambles and he smokes in there ( no matter how much he tells me he doesn't- it stinks in there), he drinks and comes back in the morning smelling like weed. It makes me want to cry. I'm afriad my dd is going to turn out the same. My other two sons arn't so bad and pretty much behave buti i think my twelve year old is following his lead, being rude and cheaky and swearing.
Depressing much that i want to send my kids on a tv programme for hooligans.

AliGrylls Tue 14-Dec-10 19:13:44

No not at all. I use all those kinds of programmes to learn how to parent. People who have well behaved children are usually quite talented parents so why not use their techniques, or worst case send them on the programme.

ElfPantsAtMidnightMass Tue 14-Dec-10 19:21:10

Have just watched last night's episode and another one. I think it is a great show. Obviously it's not al so black and white and editing is everything, but it shows that kids do seem to feel safer when they are just told no, again and again, given some hard work, and get made to do things for other people (kids/homeless people/ill donkeys)

YANBU

maltesers Tue 14-Dec-10 19:31:18

I agree, and the kids raised by stricter parents look happier when in a strict family . . .
My DD was a teen terror from Hell.. . .she is now 20 yrs and slightly better but i wish she had gone to Camp Turnaround (Brat Camp) or somthing. . .
My older son of 22yrs is fine now but he was a horrible 15/18 yr old. . .Uni life changed all that !!
Why would you be unreasonable to want to send your kids to some strict parents for a week?
This is the trouble veryberry21. . .YOu think YABU, , ,are you crazy?
Its NOT you BU, its your teenage kids that ABU. . .
Get stricter and get tough. . .let them know you love them and care , but get stricter.
My youngest is 10yrs and i am trying to be a good parent and follow through what i say. We are too dam afraid of these teenagers and too darn soft. . .

Megletitsnow Tue 14-Dec-10 19:32:30

I think they should do one for pre-schoolers. sad

Cyb Tue 14-Dec-10 19:32:41

Buy and read 'Get out of my life-but first take me and Alex into town'

Tis a great book about teens and has given me lots of ideas and strategies

Cyb Tue 14-Dec-10 19:33:25

I agree maltesers a lot of teen parents too scared of rocking the boat

ElfPantsAtMidnightMass Tue 14-Dec-10 19:35:08

You see it in parents of tiny kids as well though (easy for me to say, without kids of my own). Some parents seem genuinely afraid that their children won't love them if they say "no" to them. Or think that their kids are stronger than them.

sims2fan Tue 14-Dec-10 21:44:55

I like that programme, but think there must be a team of therapists etc behind the scenes, helping the 'parents' to get the teens to tow the line. Most episodes at least one teen goes off in a strop, but always returns, apologises, agrees to give something a go, etc. Now in reality teens can be really really stroppy, and if they have it in their head to storm off in a mood, then they can stay in a mood for a very long time. So I think they must have people to work with them and get them to calm down away from the cameras, then put the cameras back on them when they're ready to go back. So I don't think their behaviour changes are completely to do with the 'parents' they are sent to.

ElfPantsAtMidnightMass Tue 14-Dec-10 21:47:51

No absolutely sims2 - part of the fun for me is wondering what machinations the production team are going through to get the desired result.

Plus they literally wouldn't be allowed to let the kids e.g. go without food.

maltesers Wed 15-Dec-10 14:19:52

True SIMS2FAN i reckon they have a good support system there behind the scenes as well as the "foster" parents. . .

Wouldnt they be allowed to let the kids go without food ?? even for one meal. .
If that is how the parents raise their own kids then surely the British kids who visit have to go with the parents rules ??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now