Talk

Advanced search

To hate Fairytale of New York?

(149 Posts)
discobeaver Tue 14-Dec-10 18:02:25

Hate it. hate the drunken late night in a pub singalong, hate the way everyone bloody has it on their Christmas top ten songs or whatever. Hate the lachyrymosity (sp?) of it. And that singer's teeth, always see them as soon as the song starts.

Also feel that the whole 'you're an old slut on junk' bit is written for shock value.

I just cannot stand it. I'd rather poke spoons in my ears than hear this bloody dirge any more.

AnyoneforTurps Tue 14-Dec-10 18:03:31

YABvU. I love it - great antidote to all the schmaltz.

waitwhat Tue 14-Dec-10 18:04:26

YABU its miles better than Mariah Carey screeching out 'all i want for Christmas'

strandedatseasonsgreetings Tue 14-Dec-10 18:05:05

I don't hate it but it is definitely over-played.

Mind you, still not as bad a Last bloody Christmas" -

discobeaver Tue 14-Dec-10 18:06:47

Right, well so far the only good things people have said is it's better than Mariah or Wham. They are awful too.

YulenoYurbubson Tue 14-Dec-10 18:08:03

Oh I love it. It's not Christmas until you've got drunk and slurred Fairytail in New York, misremembering 70% of the words even though you swear blind you know them all.

"mumble mumble mumble... no that's my bit, I'm Kirsty... mumble mumble BOYS OF THE NYPD CHOIR..."

grin

thatsnotmynipple Tue 14-Dec-10 18:08:41

You have an ENORMOUS stick up your arse.

HTH

grin

DuelingFanio Tue 14-Dec-10 18:09:16

I hate it. I once sat and cried in a club toilet when they played it at Midnight on New Years eve, I hate it that much grin

discobeaver Tue 14-Dec-10 18:09:58

It's not a stick, it's Rudolph's carrot.

saffy85 Tue 14-Dec-10 18:10:32

YABVVVVU I love it.

The worst one has to be Merry Christmas (war is over). Mainly because I can not stand Yoko but that's another a thread.

upahill Tue 14-Dec-10 18:10:48

I feel the same as strandedat.... It's ok but overplayed. It seems like the cop out song that people say is their favourite Christmas song and then you mention Christmas Rapping by the Waitresses or Stop the Cavalry by Jonah Lewie and they go 'Oh yeah, I forgot about that one!'

rubyrubyruby Tue 14-Dec-10 18:11:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RockinRobinBird Tue 14-Dec-10 18:12:26

Love it. One of the best songs of all time. Listen to the lyrics, old slut on junk fits right in, it isn't said to shock people with sticks up their arses!

rubyrubyruby Tue 14-Dec-10 18:12:35

noddyholder Tue 14-Dec-10 18:12:43

i love it too!

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 14-Dec-10 18:13:56

grin DuellingFanjo, did you really?

I LOVE IT!!!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 14-Dec-10 18:14:19

YABVU, I love it too!

It came on my ipod near the end of my run this morning and I came over all Paula Radcliff and ran like the clappersgrin

That was the first time I've heard it this year.

SuePurblybiltbyElves Tue 14-Dec-10 18:14:49

Hate it. Crappy cliches about drunken Irish people in prison singing songs from the auld country and gambling. Crappy video, crappy singing, crappy message.It's so crappy it makes me angry. So angry I can't decide if I hate the Shane/Kirsty original or the Ronan Capn' Birdseye cover version more.

I also hate people who think they're being all cool and alternative by rating it. I would let those people know that it's the number one fave at my Mum's folk club full of beardy people in ethnic knits with a finger in one ear. They love it. That's you, that is.

rubyrubyruby Tue 14-Dec-10 18:14:54

upahill Tue 14-Dec-10 18:15:51

rubyruby it's not my favouite but it's one I suggest when people usually 0 something males say that 'Fairytale' is their fave Christmas song. It's like it's on a default setting for them.

My favourite (OK here goes............!) is I believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake.

GroovyGretel Tue 14-Dec-10 18:16:34

See below:

Main Entry: unreasonable
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: not logical or sensible
Synonyms: absurd, all wet, arbitrary, biased, capricious, contradictory, erratic, fallacious, far-fetched, foolish, full of hot air, headstrong, illogical, incoherent, incongruous, inconsequential, inconsistent, invalid, irrational, loose, mad, nonsensical, off the wall, opinionated, preposterous, quirky, reasonless, senseless, silly, stupid, thoughtless, unreasoned, vacant, wrong

You are all of the above. So ner.grin

upahill Tue 14-Dec-10 18:17:09

HA meant to say 40 something males

DandyDan Tue 14-Dec-10 18:17:33

I am getting to dislike it. Overplay, and also everyone puts it as No 1 on their lists - there are better songs out there; I don't like the sentimentalism over the fact that MacColl died; it tries to shock.

PressureDrop Tue 14-Dec-10 18:18:36

Bah humbug!

I love it.

It's Christmassy. My family are Irish and don't think it's crappy, so ner <sticks out tongue>

Pogues Shane has had his teeth fixed now, too, you know grin

muminthecity Tue 14-Dec-10 18:18:43

YABVU - I love it! Can't wait to see The Pogues singing in live at Brixton Academy next Monday. The atmosphere is always electrifying as soon as they sing this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now