Talk

Advanced search

To hate children that correct adults!

(200 Posts)
englandsmistress Tue 14-Dec-10 10:14:14

My colleague brings her son (9) in to the office today. As they leave I say to him "Happy Christmas, I hope santa brings you the most brilliantest presents"
To which he says, as he rolls his eyes skyward, "it's 'most brilli-ANT'"

and tuts.

Little, shit. He's not even cute wink

CerealOffender Tue 14-Dec-10 10:15:54

what a cunt, push him down the stairs next time

TrillianAstra Tue 14-Dec-10 10:16:35

Would you have preferred "Please don't patronise me with baby words, I am 9"?

CerealOffender Tue 14-Dec-10 10:17:20

englandsmistress - i suggest you stop watching charlie and lola

onmyfeet Tue 14-Dec-10 10:17:41

Cheeky.

juneybean Tue 14-Dec-10 10:18:30

YANBU I've been doing a job with a 6 year old and he's always right. Even when I talk properly, he's right.

ilovemyfestivehens Tue 14-Dec-10 10:18:39

I think you asked for it tbh. Brilliantest is a stupid word and even my 6 year old would have raised an eyebrow at that one hmm

Yulephemia Tue 14-Dec-10 10:24:16

It makes me laugh when pupils try to correct my English. grin

For example, I would say something like "I will come round and see what you have written" and little Adam (aged 6) pipes up "Miss, it's wrote, not written", pronouncing "written" as if I had gone completely mad and started making up words!

FindingAManger Tue 14-Dec-10 10:25:03

he should have just left you floundering in La-la-la-la-Lola land! grin

edam Tue 14-Dec-10 10:29:40

Rude child.

ds has a horrible habit of correcting me when I stumble over my words. Really irritating and I've pointed out it is very rude - although at least it only seems to be me he corrects, not anyone else.

Although I had to give in and admit it was amusing when I was very tired reading Horrid Henry one night and managed to call his brother 'Perfect Pizza'. grin

MumNWLondon Tue 14-Dec-10 10:32:46

Sorry your fault in this situation, no such word as brilliantest and he was 9.

edam Tue 14-Dec-10 10:36:15

It may not be in the dictionary but the child was still being rude.

monkeyjamtart Tue 14-Dec-10 10:36:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Katisha Tue 14-Dec-10 10:37:50

Children that age have very black and white ideas about right and wrong. The feelings of the adult tend not to come into it.

Sad to say I think mine would have said something similar as well, and that yes, it would have come across as precocious, but wouldn't have been meant in a superior brattish way.

Adair Tue 14-Dec-10 10:39:16

YANBU. It's rude. And joyless. I would be a bit hmm too.

I would have said, 'oops, I hope Santa brings you rubbish presents then' and stuck my tongue out. <childish>

englandsmistress Tue 14-Dec-10 10:40:07

ha ha the first response made my laugh a lot.

I know it's a studid word, and the child was right.

But in my day you would never correct an adult! You'd just quietly think to yourself "what a twat"

It was the asumption by the child that i wasn't aware that 'brilliantest' wasn't a word.

englandsmistress Tue 14-Dec-10 10:40:57

I like Adairs idea. If I could go back that is what i would say.

HuwEdwards Tue 14-Dec-10 10:42:44

My DD (9) wouldn't have corrected you but would've no doubt asked me why you were speaking in toddler language to her.

Katisha Tue 14-Dec-10 10:44:00

It's not joyless. Poor kid probably didn't realise OP was using deliberately wrong grammar for comic effect.

On the other hand, if he is generally a clever clogs to adults that is a different matter.

BecauseItoldYouSo Tue 14-Dec-10 10:46:13

I don't think it is unreasonable or rude at all. Why shouldn't they show you up if you speak to them like they are two?

Good on him!

FourEyesGood Tue 14-Dec-10 10:46:22

If you know "brilliantest" isn't a word, you shouldn't have used it. The child was being a bit precocious, but I don't think he was rude.

N.B. Your title should read "To hate children who correct adults?" - but maybe you can more readily accept correction from an adult? grin

LunaticFringe Tue 14-Dec-10 10:47:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrillianAstra Tue 14-Dec-10 10:53:26

FourEyes I thought that too grin

HeathcliffMoorland Tue 14-Dec-10 10:57:41

YANBU.

I know it's not a word, but it's the kind of thing I might even say to another adult in humour. (This being AIBU, expecting comments to be passed on my sense of humour).

I would also hate the assumption that I didn't know it wasn't a word.

BellyLikeABowlFullOfJelly Tue 14-Dec-10 10:58:27

I can't stand it.. I would never have dreamed f correcting an adult when I was a child. I think the problem is some parents are quite proud of their children doing it.

I have one ex friend who has taught her step son to correct her PIL on table manners etc... I think it's beyond rude. But I blame her not the boy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: