Talk

Advanced search

Faulty Clarks Shoes

(17 Posts)
blondiemommy Mon 13-Dec-10 14:31:16

Brought DS school shoes from clarks mid oct (can't find receipt - arghh) he came home last week and stitching has come undone on fron part, give a few days and I think a whole will appear. Am first to admit he is a typical 5 year old and hard on his shoes so not sure wether I should take them back and complain, I had expected them to at least go through till feb? Never has a problem with clarks shoes before. Thoughts please!

scurryfunge Mon 13-Dec-10 14:34:16

If you think there is a fault despite normal wear and tear, then I would take them back.

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Mon 13-Dec-10 14:35:50

Did you pay by card? If so take a bank statement in. They can trace transcation for you.

Towatessa Mon 13-Dec-10 14:36:05

Can you find the bank statement with them on? That would proove when you bought them, although you don't have to have a receipt if it's faulty goods.

dreamingofsun Mon 13-Dec-10 14:36:19

i took some back to them once - i think they'd lasted a term and they replaced them without any quibble. if its obvious there's very little wear they may agree to replace/mend them without the receipt.

i also took a pair of trainers back to a cheaper shop that my son had worn through the bottoms of within a month and they refunded them - again no quibble.

legally i think its all down to what a 'reasonable man' would expect - and i think most people would expect more than 2 months wear - shame you can't find receipt though to prove this.

Towatessa Mon 13-Dec-10 14:36:27

Snap!

blondiemommy Mon 13-Dec-10 14:37:57

Typical have gone through statements and must have been a cash transaction I am usually a 50/50 cash/credit card user. So frustating.

scurryfunge Mon 13-Dec-10 14:41:03

If they are a Clarks make then you shouldn't have a problem exchanging them.

taintedsnow Mon 13-Dec-10 14:42:27

I think they'll probably take them back anyway blondie.

If I were you, I'd call the store you bought them from (or the nearest one to you if the place of purchase is a terrific distance away) and discuss the situation so you know where you stand when you walk in the door.

FWIW, I used to work in retail (not Clarks, but we did have a shoe department) and more often than not, we would replace as a good will gesture even if we could've gotten away with not doing it, most large chain stores will do the same.

PosieParksHerSleigh Mon 13-Dec-10 14:43:32

Take them back and get anpother pair, they will be able to see the wear.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Mon 13-Dec-10 16:11:37

I have just had this with a pair of boots I bought DD in October. The zip broke. I'd lost the receipt and took a bank statement in and they would've swapped them but didn't have any in her size as they were last year's design - but I put my mum on the case (she's a bit of a terrier about such things) and she found a pair and bought them and I took boots back for a refund today.

I did hear in the shop on Saturday when I was trying to sort it out, that the same thing has happened to someone else's boots - so maybe there's a quality control issue with them?

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Mon 13-Dec-10 16:14:08

Mind you I once bought a pair of shoes from Dune and the sole split right across. Now, I drove to work and worked in a carpeted office and had only had them for a month. I took them back and they got a folder of 'Shoe Abuse' hmm out and told me I'd mistreated them.

I've never shopped in Dune since.

DurhamDurham Mon 13-Dec-10 16:21:04

Take the shoes back to the shop and stand there until you get the outcome you want. When people approach the counter to pay for their shoes keep talking about your faulty shoes.
It worked for me, they couldn't wait to get me out of the shop after a few customers asked me what the problem was with the shoes.

I did remain very calm and polite the whole time. Persistance really does pay off!!

blondiemommy Mon 13-Dec-10 16:46:10

Thankyou for all your advice, popped to clarks after school and they said they would replace them if DS foot had not grown, or 50% towards replacement if they had. Felt very smug until they said his foot at grown half a size! (he has shot up since starting school - permanently eating!!) Any how didn't have same shoes in his size so will have to try another store. The mission continues......

bossyboop Mon 13-Dec-10 16:58:46

I dont understand that they think its worthy of a replacement but only if he is the same size but if he needs a different size you are only entitled to 50% towards it, thats like refunding one shoe! Surely if they agree it deserves to have the replacement then you should get a credit note for the full value of the shoes. I know you dont need the shoes any more as his feet have grown but you may have wanted to pass them down to a younger sibling.

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Mon 13-Dec-10 17:22:42

I think it's because the sale has started in Clarks now - so they would give you the current price without a receipt. Don't get the 'only if he's the same size' thing, though.

dreamingofsun Tue 14-Dec-10 13:11:01

bossy - i imagine if you insisted they might replace with current shoe size. perhaps they are worried about people outgrowing their shoes and unpicking seams so they can get a new pair - blondie - not suggesting you've done this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: