Talk

Advanced search

to 'out' this chap

(23 Posts)
WkdSM Mon 13-Dec-10 12:18:21

Went to a formal dinner on Saturday at a club my husband belongs to. Met a chap (28) and his pregnant fiancee (8 mths gone). He has applied to join the club.

Basically he was a complete arse - stayed drinking to 1am while she was obviously knackered, moaned that by the time HE paid for childcare and her shopping it was not worth her going back to work etc. Just being a bit of a pig.

However, he was boasting that he had run the London Marathon this year without doing any training and how fantastic he was. My husband said I'd run as well a couple of years ago but I had done all the training. he asked what time I had done (4.42) and said he'd done the same but was obviously better as he'd done it without training. I said I admired anyone who did it but given that he is 17 years younger than me he would have been able to run better if he'd done some training.

Anyway - just out of interest (being nosey) I checked his time online - he actually ran well over an hour slower. No problem with this but why lie?

The question is - should I tell my husband the new chap is an out and out liar - this goes against everything the club stands for and works towards?

PaxoIsEvil Mon 13-Dec-10 12:20:13

I would. He sounds like a prize dickhead.

kenobi Mon 13-Dec-10 12:26:10

Tell him! You should have No Secrets Between Man And Wife.

That's your excuse and you're sticking to it.

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 13-Dec-10 12:26:26

I would definitely mention it to my husband - after all, this chap is a stranger, who do I owe most loyalty to?

It's a very strange thing to lie about, because it doesn't really matter, does it? Running a marathon at all is such a huge achievement, the time you run it in is almost inconsequential (you can tell I've never run one, can't you).

TBH, if he can lie about something like this, what else would he lie about? And he doesn't even lie well, his lies are found out, what effect could that have on the club/members?

catinthehat2 Mon 13-Dec-10 12:27:34

Tell him , he will thank you for it later.
Surely he doesn't want years of this bloke being a plonker at his club?

HarkTheHeraldEverything Mon 13-Dec-10 12:28:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vallhala Mon 13-Dec-10 12:29:32

Oh yes.

If only purely on the grounds that he sounds so much like the tosser that is my ex-husband it is scary, tell.

AitchTwoOh Mon 13-Dec-10 12:30:12

tbh i find it a bit strange that you hadn't told dh already... how can you resist?

onmyfeet Mon 13-Dec-10 12:52:50

Tell him.

WkdSM Mon 13-Dec-10 13:07:56

Thanks for your input ladies - fell much less evil now.
I have not told DH yet as I only looked this morning (FIL over for pre Christmas dinner yesterday so no time).

I agree - he struck me as a prize idiot - and I felt really sorry for his fiancee.

DH says I have a sixth sense about whether people are on the level or not (but he was a bit merry on Saturday night so his antennae may not have been working as well as usual).

create Mon 13-Dec-10 13:08:27

Why on earth would you not tell your DH? I can understand wondering whether to pass the info further than that, but I can't imagine ever not telling DH something like that, even if just to share the laugh.

Or did your DH like him and think his behaviour "amusing"?

camdancer Mon 13-Dec-10 13:10:29

Tell him. The difference between a sub 5 hour marathon and sub 6 is massive. Most young reasonably fit people should be able to walk/run a marathon in 6ish hours. Sub 5 requires at least some training.

sethstarkaddersmum Mon 13-Dec-10 13:12:32

is anyone else terrible curious about what sort of club this is?

and YANBU, OP.

sethstarkaddersmum Mon 13-Dec-10 13:12:48

terribly curious

JamieLeeCurtis Mon 13-Dec-10 13:15:27

Yes - is it a running club?

Masons ????

Swingers ???????

I think it will become perfectly obvious to everyone that he is a big boaster and anyone with any sense will take what he says with a pinch of salt

JamieLeeCurtis Mon 13-Dec-10 13:16:32

I'd deffo tell my DH but no-one else

thenightsky Mon 13-Dec-10 13:18:06

Congrats on the sub 5 hour marathon OP!!

Yes, definitely tell your DH. In fact, will there be a chance to tell him in front of other 'club' members? That would be better grin

nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Mon 13-Dec-10 13:18:27

I'd have been shouting to my DH over my shoulder whilst the browser window was still open so I admire your restraint!

But of course you should tell him.

And then tell us about the club please.

MmeLindt Mon 13-Dec-10 13:20:11

I would have wakened my DH in the middle of the night to tell him this kind of thing.

Yes, tell him.

AitchTwoOh Mon 13-Dec-10 13:21:02

lol, yes, madamelindt. in fact had he been asleep at all my dh would have been woken by my SQUAWKS of delight in any case.

Silver1 Mon 13-Dec-10 13:21:59

What's the point- he got drunk and boasted. I am not sure why you felt the need to go and look him up, except perhaps that you were peeved at the idea that he ran a marathon with no training.
He was probably anxious, got drunk to steady his nerves and then made a tit of himself- he may have felt ghastly about it the next day.

TBH even if you report him to your DH do you really think your DH is going to do anything about it, except perhaps not sign his name in the book?

MmeLindt Mon 13-Dec-10 13:24:54

Yes, yes - shrieks and snorts of delight - that would be me.

Even if someone is drunk, lying about something like this is just daft. And the OP said that he was obnoxious in other ways too.

ullainga Mon 13-Dec-10 13:25:16

tell DH? Nah, I would wait until next big formal dinner and then ask the annoying chap loudly "So, you said you ran the marathon in 4.42?" Wait for him to confirm. Then continue "You should really contact them. see, I still have the list and it says here you were 5.52! Must be a mistake..right?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now