Talk

Advanced search

to think giving a 9mth baby a swiss army knife to chew on

(8 Posts)
beanlet Sat 11-Dec-10 16:54:34

is a) fucking dangerous and b) unhygenic?

So this is not an AIBU by stealth, I'll admit I'm being a little bit bitchy. My DH ran into my XH this morning in the local supermarket en famile, and XH had given his 9-month-old DS his ancient swiss army knife to chew on, which is always in a bunch with his house keys on a long dangling chain.

I'm torn between thinking this is out and out disgusting, or that I'm BU because it's my X. . .

ladies?

ItsAHollyJollyTee Sat 11-Dec-10 16:55:14

Gross.

onimolap Sat 11-Dec-10 16:58:52

I'm assuming all the blades were shut.....

I can't see that it's any germier than letting him play with a keyring without a penknife, or anything else dug out of a pocket/handbag, and I see that happenning all the time.

exexpat Sat 11-Dec-10 17:02:05

Unhygienic, yes, just like letting them play with keys, mobile phones, money or a lot of other things that get handled a lot. But unless it is a baby with extremely advanced fine motor skills, I think the chances of his being able to open any of the blades are pretty low. Still wouldn't do it myself though...

beanlet Sat 11-Dec-10 17:21:33

It's not the letting him play bit that's bothering me, it's giving it to him to use as a teether.

exexpat Sat 11-Dec-10 17:25:47

I think at 9 months playing = chewing, doesn't it? Basically anything they get hold of gets put in their mouths and used as a teether.

beanlet Sat 11-Dec-10 17:35:41

Well it's certainly not as bad as the baby eating cat sick, which was being discussed on another thread earlier today shock!

TattytinsellooksDevine Sat 11-Dec-10 17:39:32

I just think in a supermarket you do what you have to do to keep them quiet. You can't win, if its keys they'd be unhygenic, if its a snack of a shelf you are a theif who probably wasn't going to pay for it, if its a snack from your bag you are making a mess or encouraging childhood obesity/comfort eating, if you let them run about you are irresponsible, in fact, if you have anything other than an angelic baby sitting there strapped in doing nothing you should probably have social services called on you.

Let it go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now