Talk

Advanced search

to expect a 5 yr old not to fart in front of me

(236 Posts)
moogster1a Fri 10-Dec-10 18:22:40

my 5 year old mindee has taken to doing truly revolting farts. I keep telling him to leave the room if he needs to do one and keep reminding him that someone who smells of poo won't be popular.
Accordng to him and his sister their dad does it all the time at home and they seem nonplussed that I don't want to sit in a shitty smelling fug in my own home.
Should a 5 year old be able to restrain himself ( bearing in mind he seems to have been able to for the last 4 and a half years ).
There's been no change of diet by the way, i think he's just changing into a mini version of farting dad.

Acanthus Fri 10-Dec-10 18:24:34

ha ha ha
Yes they fart
Of course they fart
ha ha ha

You're oversensitive to it because of your ex I'm afraid

MayorNaze Fri 10-Dec-10 18:25:09

everyone farts

farts are hilarious if you're 295

ignore, novelty will wear off

Acanthus Fri 10-Dec-10 18:25:12

ooops sorry he's a mindee

well they still fart!

moogster1a Fri 10-Dec-10 18:25:47

The mindees dad farts all the time. Not the father of my children!! he wouldn't dare!!!

TheBreastmilksOnMe Fri 10-Dec-10 18:27:15

I would have another chat with him about respecting other people's feelings and it not being appropriate behaviour in other peoples houses and also if he continues to do it then a spell in time-out or your equivalent or removing a privilage. I would also have a word with his mother. Feel for you as I used to have a mindee who did this and they stank. He was about the same age too but I only had him for a couple of hours a week for a very short time so I just let it go.

Rach63 Fri 10-Dec-10 18:27:27

YES of course you are being unreasonable. He's 5.

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Fri 10-Dec-10 18:29:48

Farting can often be a sign that the person needs to poo. Is he holding on?

There's no point trying to put social pressure on him if it's considered acceptable at home. It's like telling him that his dad smells of poo and is unpopular.

I don't think that young children can hold farts in consciously. But they can certainly learn that it is unacceptable in your house and that if they fart they must apologise and go to the toilet to try and have a poo.

spidookly Fri 10-Dec-10 18:30:48

Any childminder who punished my 5 yo child for farting would lose my business.

Same if they told my child that nobody would like them if they smelled of poo.

NorthernLurker Fri 10-Dec-10 18:30:53

You've terrified the father of your children in to not passing wind? And you think that's a good thing? hmm

You are totally uptight. I hope this is a joke because if you were telling my kids that their normal bodily functions would make them unpopular I would sack you on the spot. What do you know about the dad's health? Some medical conditions predispose you to farting a lot. Why don't you try just ignoring it - if it's for attention he will stop but EVERYBODY farts sometimes - and we all learn not to do it in public. It's a non issue unless you choose to make it one through your absurd and unprofessional reaction. You work with children - what the hell is wrong with you?

JamieLeeCurtis Fri 10-Dec-10 18:31:06

I agree with PrettyCandles

ilovesprouts Fri 10-Dec-10 18:31:45

even the queen farts !hmm

moogster1a Fri 10-Dec-10 18:32:45

exactly, we all learn not to do it in public. I'm asking if 5 is an appropriate age to start teaching this,.

NorthernLurker Fri 10-Dec-10 18:32:54

And breastmilks everything I've just said goes for you too - a time out? Removal of privelages - you are way out of line. Thank goodness my daughter goes to nursery so I don't have to worry about her being in your tender care!

moogster1a Fri 10-Dec-10 18:34:02

asking someone to leave the room to fart is not giving them time out

TheBreastmilksOnMe Fri 10-Dec-10 18:36:28

Farting for the sheer hell of it is disgusting and rude, especially the smelly ones. Have you ever been on the receiving end of a smelly farter, Northern? Child needs to learn some respect. There is a time and a place and any child who keeps on disobeying rules in my house gets a consequence.

Thingumy Fri 10-Dec-10 18:36:28

Punishing children for natural body functions-wow!

He's hardly shitting on your best rug.

YABU and quite controlling

ilovesprouts Fri 10-Dec-10 18:37:00

nl grin im with you on this one its a fart love get over it !!

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 10-Dec-10 18:37:11

ach no, I can't say that you can enforce the no farting moogie

open a window, yes icy blasts but better to freshen the air naturally

part of the job, innit, smells and ahem aromas

PlentyOfParsnips Fri 10-Dec-10 18:37:19

I fart in your general direction grin

Serious answer: If he's doing it deliberately to get a reaction, it's probably best ignored.

ShanahansRevenge Fri 10-Dec-10 18:38:29

YANBU....not at all. I hate it that people think this is ok...it's very offensive to some...me included.

I dont want to inhale the stench of someone elses bowels!

Tell him again!

PlentyOfParsnips Fri 10-Dec-10 18:39:36

I'm 41 and still can't hold one in if I'm in public. I have learnt to make them silent though.

TheBountyMuncher Fri 10-Dec-10 18:39:56

YANBU.

He should let you go first.
grin

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 10-Dec-10 18:40:32

yy to ignoring, same as with any unwanted behaviour

blinder Fri 10-Dec-10 18:41:54

I think that telling him no-one will like him for farting is out of order. By all means encourage him to fart outside the room but to make him feel disgusting / repugnant to others is a horrible thing to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now