Talk

Advanced search

to think that personalised letters from Santa are for people with more money than sense?

(22 Posts)
tessofderbyville Fri 10-Dec-10 17:14:52

Don't get me worng, I love the magic of Christmas and do loads to make it special for my DC, but these I just don't get. Instead of paying £7 for my child who is young enough to believe in Santa, why not just print something out at home with a few ho ho hos and a bit of Christmassy clip art? Or am I missing something?

nightmarebeforechristmas Fri 10-Dec-10 17:15:48

yanbu
surely though he would hand write it any way.

ItsAHollyJollyTee Fri 10-Dec-10 17:17:00

Well Diabetes UK does them for £3.99 and it's for charity.

Still think it takes more money than sense?

MumInBeds Fri 10-Dec-10 17:21:16

www2.royalmail.com/letters-to-santa?campaignid=san ta - can't go wrong.

sooz28 Fri 10-Dec-10 17:22:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittlePickleHead Fri 10-Dec-10 17:23:16

Oh that's so sweet MumInBeds I hope that they are still doing this when DD is old enough to read and write!

JamieLeeCurtis Fri 10-Dec-10 17:24:29

They are often for Charity

midnightexpress Fri 10-Dec-10 17:25:33

YANBU. Portable north pole is brilliant and the Royal Mail one isn't bad..

lazarusinNazareth Fri 10-Dec-10 17:25:44

I do ours on the computer with clipart, then put them in colourful envelopes. That way they can be VERY personal (Eg.Stop saying 'butthole' dc3) They still love it. Put some cash in a charity box instead. smile

Caboodle Fri 10-Dec-10 17:42:39

I do NSPCC ones (they suggest donation of £5 per letter) for 2xDS, DNephew and DNiece....and I don't have lots of money either. Don't know why people would pay if it wasn't for charity though; but then I don't take DS's to see Santa anymore, partly (but not only) 'cause it's money for old tat.

tessofderbyville Fri 10-Dec-10 18:15:04

Lovely idea when it's for charity smile.

It was just I had some spam today for a non-charity one and the selling point was that they could make it really personal to your child - well like Lazarus, so can I!!!

My DC a bit old for these now sad - one non-believer and one sceptical hanging-on-in-there-for-one-last-magical Christmas.

RockLovesMincePies Fri 10-Dec-10 18:49:52

Because the £10 I paid for 2 letters went to the NSPCC which I think is better than being a stinge and doing it yourself!

KittyTwoShoes Fri 10-Dec-10 18:59:07

Portable North Pole do a video. You just go through, putting in the child's name, what they've asked for, what they've been particularly good at this year, what you've asked them to be good at over Christmas, etc. And you can put pictures in, too. Then Santa records them a little message and shows them his 'book', with all their details in. I made one for my niece last night, it's adorable and free. I'll find the link.

spidookly Fri 10-Dec-10 18:59:36

Things like this ruin the Santa thing by making it implausible. You write letters to Santa, then presents mysteriously appear on Christmas morning. Maybe leave out a snack for him to eat. That's enough.

Entering into correspondence is gilding the lily.

alicet Fri 10-Dec-10 19:00:12

Yep, what rocklovesmincepies said!!!

Ragwort Fri 10-Dec-10 19:01:55

My DF enjoyed arranging them for his grandchildren, as they were for charity (and he has plenty of money grin) I didn't begrudge him the pleasure !

KittyTwoShoes Fri 10-Dec-10 19:02:49

Link

MrsDingDongMerrily Fri 10-Dec-10 19:06:00

I remember getting one of the replies from Santa from the Post Office when I was little and being over the moon with it.

KangarooCaught Fri 10-Dec-10 19:08:40

Did the NSPCC one, ds thrilled.

I don't get queuing 45mins waiting to see Santa a shopping centre.

FairiesWearSnowBoots Fri 10-Dec-10 19:10:59

There is a website that sends a personalised email to the child for free

lazarusinNazareth Fri 10-Dec-10 20:31:11

Rockloves - As I said, if you do them yourself, you can still put money in a charity box. I support a local hospice. I don't begrudge the charity ones but the strictly for profit ones I abhor.

annieapple2 Fri 10-Dec-10 21:38:48

I did a letter with my Ds this year in john Lewis it. It was free, the reply came 2 days later and Ds was over the moon. Leaving me free to buy some very yummy 'shelter charity' mince pies too.
Happy Ds, letter from farther Christmas, charities supported and yummy pies!
(With out costing £7)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now