Talk

Advanced search

I remember Fanny Craddock...but...

(31 Posts)
GabbyLoggon Fri 10-Dec-10 14:54:13

There are too many get rich quick cooking
experts now. (Its a cooking nuisnace)

Being a good cook is ok,( the Smith girls recipes are said to work,) but making a fetish out of food is a rich society indulgence.

Give over cockney boy; and bullet headed chef.

But I did like Mrs Craddock years ag; yes
I liked fanny

OrangeMarmalade Fri 10-Dec-10 15:01:49

Blimey you are old shock

TwinklePants Fri 10-Dec-10 15:02:21

biscuit

pagwatch Fri 10-Dec-10 15:05:46

Oi fuck off with the old...
Cheeky young whipper snapper.

I love johnnie

I loved their best closing line...

Fanny said goodbye and johnnie said

" goodbye and make your doughnuts look like Fanny's"

nagynolonger Fri 10-Dec-10 15:06:48

Zena Skinner was another early TV cook, and Dorothy Sleightholme from Yorkshire TVs Farmhouse Kitchen. I still use my three Farmhouse Kitchen recipe books.

nagynolonger Fri 10-Dec-10 15:09:34

I felt sorry for poor Johnie. Fanny was a bit frightening I thought!

GabbyLoggon Fri 10-Dec-10 15:26:34

yes, nagy, Fanny was a bit frightening; that was her gimmick

yes, pag, that was a great punchline....

then there was the Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr

TwinklePants Fri 10-Dec-10 15:28:37

I miss Keith Floyd!

nagynolonger Fri 10-Dec-10 15:29:04

Was he the one who slurped wine all the time?

pippitysqueakity Fri 10-Dec-10 15:30:55

I have all the Fanny Craddock mags, saved in 8, yes 8 binders which my mum collected when she was first married (costing 2 1/2 d per mag).
The food looks abysmal, probably because of the lighting, I have noticed early Delia looks the same, but I can't bear to throw them away, because they represent such hope and optimism, that we will all carve radish mice one day...

Loonies Fri 10-Dec-10 15:32:21

Fanny was fabulous! grin

Chatelaine Fri 10-Dec-10 15:34:57

When I was a little girl I had a crush on the Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr. He was great. Life was so simple then.

CuppaTeaJanice Fri 10-Dec-10 15:39:49

I got confused between Fanny Craddock and Mrs Beeton when I read your thread title.

If you were alive in Mrs Beeton's days, you'd be really bloody ancient!!

midori1999 Fri 10-Dec-10 15:52:47

Someone I went to school with claimed Fanny Craddock was her Grandmother. No idea if it's true.

TwinklePants Fri 10-Dec-10 15:55:28

nagy yes, he was. The poor bloke had heart problems, but he had a three course meal including champagne and oysters before he died and his last words were apparently:

"i've not felt this well for ages"

The man was a legend! grin

TwinklePants Fri 10-Dec-10 15:57:14

midori that sounds like the kind of tall tale that my husband is fond of telling me. He once swore blind that Mick Fleetwood (of Fleetwood Mac) lives in the village where we both went to school.

I could check it easily on Google, but he's been saying it for that long that I somehow think it would be shame to bust the myth.

mangoandlime Fri 10-Dec-10 16:51:28

I used to love Victorian Kitchen Garden, can't remember the cook's name but she made a wicked strawberry ice cream out of a strawberry shaped mould. And the lovely gardener chap. But I do love Fanny too!

5Foot5 Fri 10-Dec-10 16:54:58

Fanny was an old witch!

I remember seeing her on a program, I think it was called "The Big Time", where an amateur cook got to cater a large VIP dinner. They had various experts in to help and advise and Fanny Craddock was one. She was awful!! So rude and condescending. Come to think of it I think that was probably the appearance that ended her TV career.

Good old Delia will remain my favourite

RatherBe Fri 10-Dec-10 16:58:03

Chatelaine - me too! He seemed so sophisticated.

SnowMuchToBits Fri 10-Dec-10 17:04:28

5foot5 I remember that Big Time programme. It was a woman cooking, and the guest of honour was Edward Heath, who was Prime Minister at the time. The woman wanted to make rum puddings for dessert (which he probably would have loved) but Fanny made her do these poncey boat things with spun sugar instead.

Mowiol Fri 10-Dec-10 17:34:19

5foot5 and SnowMuchToBits - it was the Big Time episode where she was so mean to that woman that ended Fanny Craddock's career. She was so awful to the poor woman, pulling faces to the camera and everything.
I watched a drama about her a while ago and she never divorced her first husband (I think) and was possibly a bigamist?
I confess to finding Delia Smith patronising and never watch her. But then I'm not big on cookery programmes in general - might explain my culinary disasters! grin
I do have a Marguerite Patton (sp?) cookbook which has served me very well over the years as it has all sorts of tips etc. for cooking times and so on.

SnowMuchToBits Fri 10-Dec-10 17:37:19

When I was a teenager one of my friends took a load of Gilbert and Sullivan songs from their operettas, and changed all the words to make a little operetta all about Fanny and Johnnie. He called it "Cooks on Box". grin

Caboodle Fri 10-Dec-10 17:50:41

I am sure I have a Jamie Oliver cookbook where, I kid you not, one of the dessert recipes is mashed up maltesers in vanilla ice-cream! That was worth the money then....

nagynolonger Fri 10-Dec-10 18:01:21

Can anyone remember Pebble Mill at One. It was on the BBC at lunchtime. There was a cooking Vicar, and a cooking Rabbi. Every TV programme used to have it's own cook.

Rusty Lee, she was brilliant!

Timbachick Fri 10-Dec-10 18:10:54

Don't remember Fanny - have only been stunned in repeats...the woman looks orange and incredibly wrinkly grin.

Do remember The Galloping Gourmet though - oooohhhh I loved him.

Caboodle - I remember that recipe, if it can be called a recipe grin and it really wasn't that long ago ... I'm sure I've seen him do it on tv as wellgrin

nagy - Pebble Mill was brill - I loved watching it if I was home sick from school.

I used to like Gary Rhodes ... when he spoke like a normal person. Now he seems to have a ladle stuck somewhere unpleasant ... and if he does that kissing his fingers thing one more time I think I'll scream grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now