Talk

Advanced search

to get a fringe cut into my hair?

(25 Posts)
wintersnow Fri 10-Dec-10 12:36:36

I know they can look awful on some people & great on others but I really fancy a change, yay or nay?!

Guacamohohohole Fri 10-Dec-10 12:42:16

I had one cut in 2 weeks ago, I love it and have had lots of compliments. I took a picture of Reese Witherspoon with long hair and a fringe (Google) and basically said to the hairdresser...'I'd like this please!'.

NewbeeMummy Fri 10-Dec-10 12:47:04

I normally trust my hair dresser and have let her do so many things to my hair (Including dying it bright purple) and she's normally right about how good it'll look. I recently went in for a change and she suggested a fringe (I have never had one before) so I said I would go with her decision.

TBH - I'm not really happy with it and I'm letting it grow out, it's just not me at all.

But it's hair, it grows, so it's not forever if you want to give it a try why not?

ZombiePlan Fri 10-Dec-10 12:55:35

I am having same dilemma. Am thinking I will start with a thinnish long fringe (the type you wear sideways rather than hanging straight down). Then you can see whether having a fringe is "you" or not. If yes, you can go shorter/thicker but if not then in a couple o months its just a few shorter layers...

BaronessBomburst Fri 10-Dec-10 13:01:45

I don't know what kind of hair you've got, but will it hang nicely? If I cut a fringe into my hair, the left side hangs beautifully, but the right side develops a kink and sticks up. I can damp it down or tong it onto place but then only have to put the kettle on and the steam will bounce it back up again. I just go with long these days.

Ephiny Fri 10-Dec-10 13:04:35

I got one done recently and like it, much more flattering for me than the plain parted-in-the-middle style I had before. Could ask your hairdresser if she thinks it would suit, all depends on your face shape.

The thin, longer fringe is probably a good idea if you're not sure, you can always pin it to the side if you really don't like, and it'll grow out soon enough.

EricNorthpolesChristmas Fri 10-Dec-10 13:14:53

I recently got a blunt fringe put in, a la florence of the machine, although I had to have it thicker as my hair grows funny. If I don't wet/blowdry/mousse/hairspray it every morning it looks shit, so it's more high maintenance than my hair used to be but looks 100% better so....

minipie Fri 10-Dec-10 13:18:12

Oh I've been considering a fringe too. I've got quite fine, straight hair though, not sure if that means any fringe will just look pathetically thin? I really couldn't be bothered with styling it every day.

Last time I had a fringe was when I was about 7...

BuntyPenfold Fri 10-Dec-10 13:18:38

Couldn't your hairdresser give you an idea with some hair extension-type fake bits?

NinkyNonker Fri 10-Dec-10 13:19:44

I have had one for years, love it. Makes my somewhat fine/flippy hair look like it has a style. I actually don't find it any higher maintenance apart from the monthly (free) trim as I need to spend less time on my hair in order for it to look decent if you see what I mean. Mine is blunt and fairly heavy, can't be doing with side sweepy ones as they get in my eyes. Rest of hair is below shoulder length.

Find a good hair dresser and go for it!

dmo Fri 10-Dec-10 13:32:23

depends on how much time you have!! i dont seem to have alot of free time in my life so decided agaisnt a fringe as i would have to go to the hairdressers more often then i do now to have it trimmed

Ephiny Fri 10-Dec-10 13:45:15

That's a good point, when I've had a fringe in the past I never seemed to get around to going for regular trims (even though my salon does free fringe trims in-between proper cuts) so it just ends up growing out after a few weeks of getting in my eyes and being annoying.

I am planning to keep it trimmed this time though!

NurseGladys Fri 10-Dec-10 14:02:50

Have you tried these to see if you suit a fringe first? Actually, has anyone tried them? They look kinda weird, but I think the idea is good.

mogwhistle Fri 10-Dec-10 14:15:00

I had a fringe cut in yesterday. DD2 said my hair looks fantastic, DD1 said I look "really cool" grin and DH said it makes me look 10 years younger. Go for it!!

diddl Fri 10-Dec-10 16:41:58

I have straight hair to just above my shoulders & am thinking about a side slanting fringe.

Not a full one as I have a fairly small face.

verytellytubby Fri 10-Dec-10 17:49:55

I had a thick side fringe cut today. It hides my wrinkles brilliantly. I'm too shit scared to have botox!

FellatioNelson Fri 10-Dec-10 17:52:22

I had quite a full fringe cut in about three months ago after years and years with a no- fringe bob. It was the best thing I could have done. I look fabulous.grin

diddl Fri 10-Dec-10 17:58:27

Anyone got any pics of these fab fringes?blushgrin

kaiserfootmuff Fri 10-Dec-10 18:00:26

is anything and everything posted on aibu now? confused

amothersplaceisinthewrong Fri 10-Dec-10 18:00:35

I have always had a fringe, and consequently have a wrinkle free forehead (not that anyone can see it!! ) smile

NinkyNonker Fri 10-Dec-10 19:43:40

I took DD to my last fringe trim (4 months) she sat on my knee smiling at the hairdresser in the mirror until the scissors came out then she got this horrified expression on her face...very funny bless her.

NinkyNonker Fri 10-Dec-10 19:49:51

Have just put a pics of fringe onto my profile, excuse the face that goes with it!

IveStillGotIt Fri 10-Dec-10 21:56:45

Ive got a fringe, a straight hanging down one, and it knocks ten years off me!!!
When I scrape it back (into a 'croydon facelift') I look in my thirtys! But when I leave it down, I get Id'ed for the lottery!!!

MrsGuyOfChristmasBorn Fri 10-Dec-10 22:10:38

Have always had a fringe as it hides the wrinkles and frames the face better than no fringe. Why not give it a go - even if you don't like it, it will very rapidly grow out.

TheFarSide Fri 10-Dec-10 22:13:02

NurseGladys those are hilarious

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now