Talk

Advanced search

to judge on Christmas trees?

(70 Posts)
MsFox Thu 09-Dec-10 14:02:30

If you have a black/neon pink Christmas tree, I will judge you. Can't help it.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 09-Dec-10 14:07:29

Anything black or neon pink is not a Christmas tree.

SauvignonBlanche Thu 09-Dec-10 14:08:01

YANBU grin

mistletoeploppy Thu 09-Dec-10 14:08:39

YANBU. Or blue lights <chilly>

QueenofDreams Thu 09-Dec-10 14:09:33

our tree is black. DP didn't realise when he bought it and was mighty annoyed, but we can't afford another one

taintedsnow Thu 09-Dec-10 14:12:32

A friend got a black tree this year. Apparently, said friend went to Focus, saw it, thought it was "original and trendy" and decided to buy it. I sort of looked like hmm when it was talked about. Friend does not have wonderful taste in home decor tbh, but this took the biscuit! It's creepy to look at, and definitely not a Christmas tree!

<unashamedly donning the judgey pants today>

taintedsnow Thu 09-Dec-10 14:13:28

Oh Queen! Can't you take it back? I'm assuming that DH bought it assuming it was a green tree in the box?

nannynobblystockingnobs Thu 09-Dec-10 14:14:41

I suppose a black tree could look okay if it had a riot of colour over the whole thing rather than tasteful gold and blue or something <boak>. Pink, how very Jordan!

CuppaTeaJanice Thu 09-Dec-10 14:14:45

I have a black tree and blue lights!

BelovedCunt Thu 09-Dec-10 14:20:49

i am dying to meet someone with one of those upside down trees

ABudafulSightWereHappyTonight Thu 09-Dec-10 14:24:34

I bought a cheap black tree last year. Am normally v traditional about my Xmas tree and decorations but as we were not here for Xmas couldn't be bothered getting all of ours out. then I was in Tesco and they had some cheap black ones so I bought on with lots of silver and turquoise decs and coloured lights. It was ok. Didn't love it but have kept it. May let DS have it in his bedroom this year. Also have some neon decs that would be nice on it in a hall way or something.

BitOfFun Thu 09-Dec-10 14:30:42

I think they can work as a sort of poetic homage to the charred remains of the land cleared for their cultivation, if you want to pretend it's a statement? I'm trying to think what the neon pink could symbolise though. I'm sure I can come up with something suitably poncey...the irrepressible spirit of the dispossed native people, perhaps? I'm thinking Sunday Times Style Guide.

greygirl Thu 09-Dec-10 14:37:36

my DD(4) was in the display window at boots trying to drag their pink tree out of the display, so we could buy it to take home. we left the shop with her howling, "but i want a pink treeee".

it was one of those "where's little grey?" "don't know, thought you had her...." moments.

Megatron Thu 09-Dec-10 14:41:06

My DD has a pink tree in her bedroom. She's only 4 though so does that count or can I get away with that one?

DooinMeCleanin Thu 09-Dec-10 14:43:42

dd1 also a pink a tree, but is only 7, so I think that is forgivable?

taintedsnow Thu 09-Dec-10 14:45:55

I think alternatively coloured trees are fine for children! grin It's when it's a conscious adult choice that you have to be a bit judgey!

I was very emotionally attached to a pink tree a much loved elderly relative had when I was a child.

SoNotWorthIt Thu 09-Dec-10 14:59:19

It is a Christmas tree.

If your name is Tim Burton grin

GrimmaTheNome Thu 09-Dec-10 15:11:47

I think the rule is, if the owner of the tree would look adorable in a pink fairy costume, then s/he (well why not) can legitimately have a pink tree.

MsFox Thu 09-Dec-10 15:28:10

It would be wrong to judge a child but I will

BitofFun grin

QueenofDreams Thu 09-Dec-10 15:34:42

Can't return the tree as this was last year! Yes DP thought it was a green tree in the box. It looked ok once decorated: coloured lights and lots of colourful decorations to hide the blackness! 'stylish' it was not!

Santassnowyoldclothcatpuss Thu 09-Dec-10 15:46:29

Grimma, I would definitely look like Mavis crewitt adorable in a pink fluffy fairy costume! I may well get a pink tree! grin

McSnail Thu 09-Dec-10 15:48:04

I can't be arsed with a Christmas tree this year and couldn't give a flying fanny about anyone else's, neon or not.

Hulababy Thu 09-Dec-10 15:48:09

I have a real tree - but our decorations are pink and silver - as chosen a couple of years ago by DD. I am not rebuying. They still look nice.

SparkleSoiree Thu 09-Dec-10 15:53:26

What does it mean if you have a black/neon tree or blue lights?

sue52 Thu 09-Dec-10 16:00:27

YANBU. I mark people down on blue lights too. When buying Christmas decorations, I always try to imagine if they would look in place on a Victorian Christmas card. The more old fashioned looking the better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now