Talk

Advanced search

to feel it's a bit rubbish, even though completely DHs fault.

(10 Posts)
fruitstick Thu 09-Dec-10 10:04:20

DH is one of those slightly scatty people that bad things keep happening to.

4 years ago he got a speeding ticket. 57 in a 50. There was some confusion over the make and model of car so he queried it. Paperwork came back with correct details so he filled it in, got 3 points and a fine.

However, he didn't read the form properly and what he signed was a failure to provide details (ms90) not speeding (sp30).

He's just had an accident in the car and insurance company tell him he's not covered because he declared the wrong offence, although correct points. Apparently ms90 is more serious.

He is now blacklisted on insurance and his premiums are likely to double - and his car's a right off.

Completely his fault as he should have paid more attention to paperwork but it's making me weep that this is going to cost us so much money.

I'm sure many of you will day he deserves it, fraud etc bur it genuinely wasn't.

I'm miserable sad

fiveisanawfullybignumber Thu 09-Dec-10 10:07:31

Go back to the issuing authority and complain.
They have a responsibility too, they need to explain what happened over the mix up to your insurance company. Also complain to DVLA, see what they recommend to do.

Niecie Thu 09-Dec-10 10:08:31

YANBU - he made the mistake but you are having to deal with the repercussions of having a lot less money whilst he sorts this out.

Is there nobody you can appeal to?

Ragwort Thu 09-Dec-10 10:08:37

So sorry - no practical advice but I sympathise, have never had much luck with insurance either - twice I have tried to claim (once for a cancelled holiday and once for a lost piece of jewellery) and in both cases I was not allowed to claim because of something incredibly detailed in the 'small print'. I think getting good Insurance cover is incredibly difficult, and you have to check every single piece of information.

(I have also moved recently and you must remember to tell ALL your insurance companies when you move otherwise it will be invalid).

fruitstick Thu 09-Dec-10 10:35:06

He is going to throw himself on their mercy but it ain't looking good!

SlartyBartFast Thu 09-Dec-10 10:36:01

insurance are bastards.

classydiva Thu 09-Dec-10 10:37:18

Can you live without a car, I am and it is a far cheaper and happier existence!

SlightlyTubbyHali Thu 09-Dec-10 10:39:16

So in fact he declared the right offence but the paperwork her received related to a different offence?

Speak to whoever issued the paperwork re the offence, they need to straighten this out. Surely if your DH told the truth about what happened his insurance should stand?

SlightlyTubbyHali Thu 09-Dec-10 10:39:36

he received

AlistairSim Thu 09-Dec-10 10:42:42

I don't think it's completely your husband's fault!

It sounds like he was sent the wrong paperwork, not his fault. It was his fault for not carefully checking, but it was a mistake.

You are certainly noy being unreasonable to be upset about it but I think I would be following it up with sternly worded letters.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: