Talk

Advanced search

I know I am, but I want a supermarket delivery!

(17 Posts)
BrandyButterPie Wed 08-Dec-10 21:58:49

Once a month, I do my online shop. I tend to do it one evening for delivery the next morning, so I can see what we need and so on.

There are no slots at any of the local shops for over a week!

I know I am being unreasonable, but where are all these customers normally? Why do they all come out of the woodwork at this time of year?

I don't drive, the pram is off road due to the inch of compacted snow, and I will now have to drag my inlaws out to the local shop to give me and shopping a lift home either first thing in the morning or after nine at night. Or get my shopping on my way into work and keep it in my desk drawer all day. Or get a taxi back from the shops.

Gah. Worst of all- I'll have to actually go into a supermarket.

There is only so long a family of four can live off the corner shop without getting really, really annoyed.

I know AIBU, there is no solution, but grrr!

Meglet Wed 08-Dec-10 22:06:20

Some of us booked the slots weeks ago and I have actually ordered a couple of extra deliveries in case of snow chaos / ill children / zombie take-over blush.

faverolles Wed 08-Dec-10 22:12:26

Our usual supermarket delivery has cancelled all slots until the roads are clear (even though they have been since Friday)
I tried to book a delivery, and all the slots came up as booked.
Suppose that would depend where you are though.

wannabesybil Wed 08-Dec-10 22:17:31

I do a weekly shop and the day one order is delivered is the day that I book the next one. You can usually book three weeks in advance, but the release of Christmas slots is like a scrum. Seriously I have (when desperate enough) waited up until midnight, forgot, got on at 12.20am and half the slots had gone!

People who normally only shop every month or so all want their deliveries near Christmas.

With the snow, recently dislocated shoulder, norovirus in OH and living on an unadopted road that could be used as a tank trap at one end and a one in four slope at the other, I'm a bit stuck. So - get me - I have Mr Asda delivering tomorrow and Mr Sainsbury delivering on Friday, because I can't get all I want from one supermarket (fussy mare).

However I am not planning another delivery until 27 Dec now.

(don't forget to go through Mysupermarket.com and get ipoints)

BrandyButterPie Wed 08-Dec-10 22:29:03

How do you know what you will want though? Or are you all just more organised than me?

BrandyButterPie Wed 08-Dec-10 22:29:47

Also, do you think I should just go ahead and grab whatever slot I can find now and do a generic shop? What if I don't need those things then?

HollyTwat Wed 08-Dec-10 22:32:13

There are slots with tesco and sainsbury where I am.
Who do you normally use?

notquitenormal Wed 08-Dec-10 22:34:14

You usually can change your order until quite late the night before. I usually book a slot well in advance and just stick a load of stuff on the list to get it over the minimum order value. The I do the proper shop the night before.

And I never forget and recieve an order consisting of 5 free range chickens and nothing else. Oh, no!

BrandyButterPie Wed 08-Dec-10 22:37:39

Holly- I use whoever has a slot that I like the look of <supermarket slut emoticon>

We have the option of Asda, Tesco or Sainsburys round here. I tend to try Tesco first, but for no good reason.

MaudOHara Wed 08-Dec-10 22:38:59

I've booked twice weekly slots already for December - just do a basic shop to the minimum order value and then the slot is yours.

BrandyButterPie Wed 08-Dec-10 22:41:28

Panic over- I found a slot for saturday at ASDA. I will also take advice and book a shop for nearer Christmas too. Do they charge my card now?

panettoinydog Wed 08-Dec-10 22:41:48

"Why do they all come out of the woodwork at this time of year?"

Isn't that obvious?

loola2shu Wed 08-Dec-10 22:43:07

I'm having same prob OP, tried to book a slot for tomorrow at anytime and nothing on Tesco for over a week and Asda will be January! I have never had a problem before!

Meglet Wed 08-Dec-10 22:43:50

I know I'll always need quite a few basics and add them to the list, then I finish it off the night before (sainsburys lets me add until 11pm).

As I've got a couple more deliveries this month I've ordered more store cupboard / long life food and chucked extra nappies in, it can go in the loft until I need it.

loola2shu Wed 08-Dec-10 22:45:15

Oh forgot to mention I have got a Christmas and NYear slot booked but just want one in next few days!

wannabesybil Wed 08-Dec-10 23:29:06

I am a complete ditherer, and shopping online saves me a fortune.

I start off by going through my favourites and the offers and seeing what I fancy. Then I have a bit of a browse, and I think about perhaps we ought to try...

Then the day before I go through and take off everything that I don't actually need, though I still overshop a bit, and that way I cut out a lot of impulse buys.

I also use it as a shopping/reminder list eg I'll do the washing up and notice we are a bit low on washing up liquid so I'll nip online and put it on the order. Or I'll use the last of the mixed herbs and put that on. It means I forget less.

When I am feeling super organised, not now, I have two lists on the go. I have the main one on mysupermarket.com (which you can use to compare prices in the supermarkets, worth a look) which is where I work out roughly what I may be needing. Then eg if I have a delivery on the Wednesday, that day I put the mysupermarket.com on to the supermarket website and book my slot (modifying to get bargains) and start a new one on mysupermarket.com.

All I need to do now is crack meal planning and I will be a happy and richer bunny.

Also, if you shop at a lot of different supermarkets online do checkout mysupermarket.com. You put in a basket of groceries in mysupermarket.com and they will give you the price for Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda and Ocado. It's not an exact science but it can point you in the direction of bargains and ideas.

I have just realised that I need to broaden my horizons.

HollyTwat Thu 09-Dec-10 00:04:56

I have vowed to never set foot in a supermarket with both dc EVER again so I will take any slot going.
I know they need to learn to behave but I'm not up to teaching them yet (age 6 & 9)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: