Talk

Advanced search

Nativity - what nativity?......

(28 Posts)
prettyfly1 Wed 08-Dec-10 15:49:24

grrr I just went to my sons and I didnt see ANY of it. The only thing I got to see were the backs of the inconsiderate fxxxxrs who spent the entire thing sticking cameras in the kids faces, blocking the view of everyone else and ruining it entirely for other, more considerate parents. Bloomin selfish sausages need to remember that the kids put on a show for parents to WATCH and ENJOY not FILM for their families. GGGGRRRRRRRRR....

Would I be unreasonable to ask the head to consider banning cameras throughout the perfomance and provide an opportunity either at the start or the end of the show for parents to take pictures if they want to??

deaconblue Wed 08-Dec-10 15:50:41

our school had a lovely set of photos they took in the dress rehearsal that we could buy (for tiny cost) rather than take our own photos. Good idea I think

GrimmaTheNome Wed 08-Dec-10 15:54:58

YANBU, I'm not sure DDs primary school ever needed a ban, people were well-mannered enough to just take photos at the end anyway.

But if the other parents at your school can't behave sensibly, then the HT should make a ruling.

Perhaps there could be one 'official' recording made (by a parent who's good at it or a teacher), and shared? (could be a PTA fundraiser even...)

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Wed 08-Dec-10 15:56:35

Our infants school does two performances, one of which is filmed. Only adults are allowed at that performance, and no photos are allowed, but parents are given half an hour or so at the end of the show to take photos.

This means that relatively few people are snapping away on the second performance (when younger sibs are allowed).

My dc love the DVDs of the shows, and often watch them and sing along.

LeninGrad Wed 08-Dec-10 15:59:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

prettyfly1 Wed 08-Dec-10 16:05:46

I really like the idea of a dvd - mmmm think I shall suggest that. Unfortunately parents in our school clearly cannot be trusted to behave.

Praline Wed 08-Dec-10 16:06:11

The school films ours & we can buy dvd for £8, we can take pics if we want, if someone was standing in my way, I would punch them in the back of the knees. (Just got home from mine today, ds was Santa, he was brilliant!)

LeninGrad Wed 08-Dec-10 16:07:52

Poogles Wed 08-Dec-10 16:15:30

Our school took photos at the dress rehersal for parents to buy but allowed cameras etc. Everyone filmed respectfully from their seats(which meant we couldn't really see DS!).

Will suggested to the PTA about maybe filming the dress rehersal and selling DVD as a fund raiser - great idea!

RantyMcRantpants Wed 08-Dec-10 16:27:33

DC2's was this week, DC1 and 3 have their ones next week. They all do 3 performances, 1 in the day and 2 evening ones. At the back is a bench and anyone who wants to take film or pictures has to stand there.

Though I think I may suggest they do a DVD to raise money for the school and ban filming/photos.

nogginous Wed 08-Dec-10 16:35:43

Surely this could be taken to the extreme and you could ban cameras on the grounds that not all children have permission from their parents to be photographed or filmed....?

AllGoodNamesGone Wed 08-Dec-10 16:47:26

I think asking those who want to film it to stand at the back is a great idea - they'd get a better film that way anyway without other peoples heads in.

Mishy1234 Wed 08-Dec-10 17:09:53

YANBU.

I don't have children at school yet, but I'm astounded by some of the stories on MN about what goes on. Why are parents so bloody selfish? It seems that some of them have absolutely no manners at all. What an example to give their children!

gorionine Wed 08-Dec-10 17:12:38

"Our DVDs will be £2.50, bargain."
WOW! our school performance on last year (not nativity, a musical medlee) was 12.50!!!

MinnieMummy Wed 08-Dec-10 19:13:56

Well, unusually I had a fantastic view of DS's foundation stage nativity.

But only because he refused point blank to go on, until one of his teachers suggested that I sit with him... so there I was, on stage, hair needing washing, no make-up, amid a bunch of 3, 4, and 5yr old shepherds and angels for all the parents to video and photograph grin

LeninGrad Wed 08-Dec-10 21:48:11

LeninGrad Wed 08-Dec-10 21:48:47

SpikyBinkle Wed 08-Dec-10 21:52:15

prettyfly You weren't sitting next to me were you? I could have written your post. Makes me mad that some people think the right to capture their own kids on camera is more important than the rest of us enjoying the live show.

ilovesooty Wed 08-Dec-10 21:54:03

I'm interested in nogginous' post. Have all the parents signed permission slips allowing their children to be part of random filming? If not, I'm surprised photography by parents isn't banned on safeguarding grounds.

santadefiesgravity Wed 08-Dec-10 21:58:53

Everyone is pretty respectful at the dc's school and mostly film from the side.

For the drama group performances I organise I allow filming subject to copyright but announce that it is only as long as no-one gets in the way of anyone else's enjoyment.

There is no legal thing that says a school has to get permission to film, it is just good manners to really. I inform everyone in advance that filming will be allowed although if there was a serious issue (rather than just paranoia) I would do somthing about it.

Hassledge Wed 08-Dec-10 22:00:33

We had some fucker with a tripod a couple of years ago. Right at the front - got there early - fully intending to film the thing standing up behind the tripod. I went and had words. Very stern words. He seemed surprised that anyone could have issues - I really don't think it had crossed his mind that parents other than himself might want to see their children.

masochismTangoer Wed 08-Dec-10 22:11:48

Two plays - both times the row in front stood for most of it filming. The attitude seemed to be sod the people behind sad.

My eldest had one of the few speaking parts as well - she got upset as she could not see me and thought I was not there.

MangoTango Wed 08-Dec-10 22:26:03

I thought of suggesting that our school film and sell a DVD, but knowing the parents at my dd's school the poor person who filmed it would be lynched amid cries of "Why did you film my little Johnnie for 2 seconds less than you filmed that other child???"

prettyfly1 Wed 08-Dec-10 22:26:35

Oh look - this is on facebook - take note all wannabee photographers - consider the people behind!!

prettyfly1 Wed 08-Dec-10 22:32:09

spikybinkle I could well have been - makes me so bloomin cross I tell you!! I have emailed the head and asked nicely if future performances could begin with at least a polite request for a few more manners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now