Talk

Advanced search

to be an unrepentant carnivore?

(124 Posts)
GraceAwayInAManger Tue 07-Dec-10 22:16:30

It's been done before, but I couldn't bring myself to read the threads as they would have made me cry - with longing!

I'm on the breadline, literally, and am a good budget cook. Lentils, five meals from a chicken, etc. BUT!! Today I spent some of my cold weather money on a joint of sirloin. I roasted it very fast, very hot. Brown on the outside & BLOODY on the inside. God, it's gorgeous!

Just eaten about half a pound of the stuff, and feel healthier than I have in months!

Fellow lovers of dead creatures, share your lascivious recipes here wink I'm ready to read and slaver.

TiggyD Tue 07-Dec-10 22:21:57

Cows will eat us if we don't eat them first!

GraceAwayInAManger Tue 07-Dec-10 22:24:48

True, Tiggy.

Well, not, but it's a fair point grin

NerdyFace Wed 08-Dec-10 08:41:30

Mmmmm...Meat!

I literally get the shakes thinking about NOT going a day with some kind of meat ingestion!

I tried Veal for the first time yesterday and it shall be eaten again! I have enjoyed Shark in Japan along with something I was lead to believe was Whale of some description!

Tried seal on a family holiday to Alaska. Have eaten, Horse, Zebra, Aligator and Crocodile.

I like meat for no reason OTHER than taste, I love the smell and the texture.

That being said, I have NEVER encountered a preachy Vegetarian who has condemned me for my decision too eat meat or anything like that.

Those wankers from PETA on the other hand...

NewbeeMummy Wed 08-Dec-10 09:26:42

DP has a fantastic way to cook really cheap and nasty lamb joints - he browns them, wraps them in foil (very tight) and shoves them in the oven at a low temperature for about 3 hours, what would have been like leather if roasted normally was so soft and juicy we couldn't actually carve it - it just fell off in massive chunks.

I think I may have to ask him to cook this again, as it's got me hungry.

NewbeeMummy Wed 08-Dec-10 09:27:33

oh and you ADNBU - I love my meat - I couldn't go without it, and the rarer and bloodier the better.

Mmmmmmm

GMajor7SwansASwimming Wed 08-Dec-10 09:32:29

'I tried Veal for the first time yesterday and it shall be eaten again'

Maybe if you find out what Veal actually is you might change your mind.

NerdyFace Wed 08-Dec-10 09:34:16

Tis Baby Cow.
Baby Cow = Delicious.

GMajor7SwansASwimming Wed 08-Dec-10 09:37:35

...reared in a specific way as to give that pale tender flesh that you find oh so delicious.

Hey, look - DP and DD both eat meat and I have no 'beef' with that BUT cruelty foods like VEAL and Pate De Foie Gras are not allowed in this house.

impatient1 Wed 08-Dec-10 09:38:47

Oh God! Now I want steak for breakfast!wink

Morloth Wed 08-Dec-10 09:40:19

I like meat. Lots and Lots of meat.

It is freakin' delicious, I especially like nice soft veal. I know it is a baby cow, I know it is often a male calf who is a by-product of the dairy industry. I just don't care that much.

If humans were not meant to eat meat it wouldn't taste so damned good.

We now have a fantastic butcher up the road and I have never been happier.

I am aware that an animal died for me to eat it and bear that in mind when I am purchasing making sure that it is as ethical as possible and that there will be no waste.

SlobbyBOB Wed 08-Dec-10 09:41:34

I thought Veal was raised "in a humane way" now.

GMajor7SwansASwimming Wed 08-Dec-10 09:42:24

Not always.

Sooo...can't interest anyone in a nice, rubbery Quorn sausage then?

TrillianAstra Wed 08-Dec-10 09:44:29

If you buy British Rose veal (better conditions etc, RSPCA 'Freedom food' etc) then you are doing good for the baby caws because the unbwanted oes get shipped to France where they are not treated anywhere near as nicely.

NerdyFace Wed 08-Dec-10 09:45:08

I tried Quorn mince once, possibly the most revolting shite i have ever eaten thats passed off as "Food".

Also, something that bugs me about the whole "Quorn" business, the people who don't eat MEAT have no place calling their inferior "Rubber" food things like "Chicken", "Hamburger", "Sausage".

Those are words reserved for the meat eating elite NOTHING annoys me more than the
"Oh, I am a vegetarian...But I eat fish and Chicken"
or
"I'm Vegan but eat milk and eggs"

Morloth Wed 08-Dec-10 09:46:39

I too tried Quorn once. Once is the operative part of that sentence.

ShatnersBassoon Wed 08-Dec-10 09:49:07

YANBU. It's your human right to never have to eat tofu/Quorn/Linda Mc sausies etc etc.

SlobbyBOB Wed 08-Dec-10 09:49:38

Errrr..... I think Grace was more interested in

meats and how to cook, rather than argue. Veg v Meat eaters

Bear steak anyone?

bear

mugggletoeandwine Wed 08-Dec-10 09:52:19

I almost bought a veal rib roast for Christmas dinner, but went with rabbit in the end instead.
Farmer's market here is on the 23rd though so I will get veal of some sort for us.
Foie gras is delicious, I've only eaten it once and though I know it's cruel, I'd eat it more if I could.

Asteria Wed 08-Dec-10 09:53:12

I remember going to an Army Viking themed party when I was at university - supper consisted of home shot rabbit soup (complete with bits of shot)followed by a few legs of lamb that were passed round and we had to literally tear chunks off with our teeth. I had been a vegetarian for 8 years up to that point but something primeval just clicked - we have canine teeth for a reason - I had blood dripping from my elbows. I have goosbumps just thinking about it!

GMajor I have a farmer friend who does just that with their bull calves - they live in a lovely big barn with open sides and lots of deep straw to sleep in, not a crate in sight. Which is far nicer than shipping unwanted bull calves off to the continent to be locked in a box. And they taste delicious!

Asteria Wed 08-Dec-10 09:54:59

Plus Quorn is SO processed - yuck.

NerdyFace Wed 08-Dec-10 09:58:22

Try here!

Just found this website, makes me want too order some Lion steaks and Black Bear!

They have some awesome recipes for Alligator too!

Asteria Wed 08-Dec-10 10:08:34

I also find that the more endangered the species the better it tastes grin

Toughasoldboots Wed 08-Dec-10 10:10:01

This is probably meant to be a lighthearted thread but did anyone see the footage on the news last night? Hidden cameras in slaughterhouses, my god, the deliberate cruelty that went on made me sick to the stomach.

I couldn't sleep last night thinking about the way those animals were tortured for fun whilst waiting to go to slaughter. I am seriously considering giving up meat- at least until there is some sort of monitoring/CCTV introduced. One of the slaughterhouses was one that provided organic free range meat which I bought thinking at least the animals were treated to a reasonable standard.

NerdyFace Wed 08-Dec-10 10:16:50

Thats this culture of "Cheap Meat".

I will buy other things reduced or lesser name brands, but i will always pay more for meat because I like to know where it is coming from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now